‘Avengers: Endgame’ dominates MTV Movie and TV Awards
Published: 03:40 PM, 18 June 2019
‘Avengers: Endgame’ dominates in MTV Movie and TV Awards show
Box office-busting ‘Avengers: Endgame’ dominated the MTV Movie and TV Awards on Monday, as ‘Captain Marvel’ star Brie Larsen led tributes to real-life heroines by ceding the spotlight to her stunt doubles.
‘Avengers: Endgame’ is the second-highest grossing film of all time, picked up the best movie award, as well as a best hero for Robert Downey Jr’s Iron Man and best villain for Josh Brolin as Thanos.
Oscar-winner Larsen added to the superheroes’ haul by picking up the best fight award, praising her stunt workers as the “living embodiment of Captain Marvel” as she brought them up on stage.
Joanna Bennett and Renae Moneymaker, who also trained Larsen for the first female-led Marvel Studios/Disney superhero film, said it was an “honor” to work on the film and “be a part of bringing such a strong female character to life.”
Wide-Ranging awards show also paid tribute to women beyond Hollywood such as trailblazing Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the subject of documentary ‘RBG’, who won a new category for the best real-life hero.
And in the evening’s most poignant moment, victims of sexual abuse were honored by the producers of ‘Surviving R. Kelly’ which won the best documentary.
“Survivors walked through the fire and then stood again to tell this story,” said Lifetime network executive Brie Miranda Bryant.
The docu-series has led Chicago prosecutors to publicly seek out potential victims of R&B star Kelly, who has pleaded not guilty to felony sex crime charges.
“This isn’t just a trophy to us because this really speaks to the important cultural impact that this generated from this documentary,” Bryant added.
Newcomer Noah Centineo was the night’s biggest individual winner, scooping awards for breakthrough performance and best kiss alongside Lana Condor for Netflix teen romance film ‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before’.
But it was a disappointing night for ‘Game of Thrones’ which won the best show but lost out in three other categories.
The epic fantasy’s final season was widely panned by critics and audiences.
The MTV Movie and TV Awards have been taking a sideways look at Hollywood since 1992, honoring films and their actors with ‘golden popcorn’ statuettes.
The nominees are decided by producers and MTV executives, while the winners are chosen by the public, who vote online.
As a result, the awards have historically recognized commercial favorites, in contrast to the Oscars and other events based on critical or industry acclaim.
This year it added off-beat new categories for “most meme-able moment” and “reality royalty.”
It also gave non-competitive awards to Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Jada Pinkett Smith.
For the second year running, the show was pre-recorded on Saturday in a cavernous hangar at Santa Monica Airport in southern California.
Here is the full list of winners:
Best Movie: ‘Avengers: Endgame’
Best Show: ‘Game of Thrones’
Best Performance in a movie: Lady Gaga – ‘A Star Is Born’
Best Performance in a show: Elisabeth Moss – ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’
Best Hero: Robert Downey Jr. – ‘Avengers: Endgame’
Best Villain: Josh Brolin – ‘Avengers: Endgame’
Best Kiss: Noah Centineo & Lana Condor – ‘To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before’
Reality Royalty: ‘Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta’
Best Comedic Performance: Daniel Levy – ‘Schitt’s Creek’
Breakthrough Performance: Noah Centineo – ‘To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before’
Best Fight: Captain Marvel vs. Minn-Erva – ‘Captain Marvel’
Best Real-Life Hero: Ruth Bader Ginsburg – ‘RBG’
Most Frightened Performance: Sandra Bullock – ‘Bird Box’
Best Documentary: ‘Surviving R. Kelly’
Best Host: Nick Cannon – ‘Wild ‘n Out’
Most Meme-Able Moment: Colton Underwood jumps the fence – ‘The Bachelor’
Best Musical Moment: Shallow – ‘A Star Is Born’
- Humayun Ahmed alive through his speeches
- 13 human traffickers held in capital, Keraniganj
- Lilith’s trailer released
- Death toll hits 33 in Japan studio arson attack
- US sanctions on Myanmar not enough: UN
- Dengue check: DNCC skips holiday-leaves for two departs
- Truck overturned: Mother-son killed in Rohingya camp
- Rishan Farzi on five-day remand
- Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- A woman: Dancer to detective
- Humayun Ahmed`s 7th death anniv today
- Bernard topped Bill Gates on Rich List
- ICC debarred Zimbabwe
- PM flies to London
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- PM flies to London tomorrow
- DC conference: Vast responsibility, directives
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- HC’s directive to dispose woman, child repression case in 180 day
- Navy got ‘National Fisheries Award’19 Gold medal
- Boat hats in Manikganj
- 8000 cattle ready for Qurbani market
- Shakib in Cricinfo’s XI; not Kohli
- Beauty of Tanguar Haor in Monsoon
- Illegal expats to return home paying TK 14 thou
- Two sisters drowned in Tangail
- UN chief concerns over Rohingya crisis
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- How to get HSC result
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death