Austrilia begins camel culling, 1500 shot on 1st day
Published: 12:54 PM, 10 January 2020
Australian authorities started implementing the decision to cull over 10,000 camels in southern Australia. The initiative has been taken to save water and food and to protect the indigenous people.
Some 1,500 camels were killed on the first day of the cull on Thursday, Richard King, the general manager for Aṉangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands, told news agency DPA. Extreme heat and ongoing drought have exasperated the problem, with many camels dying of thirst or trampling each other to death in the rush to reach water.
Trained snipers in helicopters took to the skies for this massive camel cull operation. As a result, "up to 10,000 camels will be destroyed
The five-day cull is taking place in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yankunytjatjara (APY) Lands — an area in the state of South Australia that is home to around 2,300 indigenous people.
An ongoing drought has forced "extremely large" herds of camels to search for food and water closer to rural towns, threatening local drinking water supplies and damaging infrastructure.
The National Wild Camel Management Planning Department of the country claims that the number of camels will double every nine years if the birth of camels is not controlled. Camel is one of the major contributors to global warming.
Tribal Areas (AYP) executive board member Marita Baker told the local media that the area we live in is very hot. The result is to be in an uncomfortable environment. The activity of the camel has made them afraid. Camels are raiding homes for water. In addition to breaking down the fence of the house, ruining crops of the fields.
Learned that, European travelers took the camel first to Australia in 1850. Around 10,00,000 camels now exist in the desert areas of the country.
Meanwhile, Australia has been under fire for several days. As a result, more than 1 crores of wildlife, including over 50 people, have died in the country.
- Joint initiative to resolve Rohingya crisis recommended
- Man, accused in 14 cases, killed in Kushtia gunfight
- Coronavirus in China gets incursive with death toll rising
- Litun Jira now wins scholarships
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- 172 students to get Prime Minister Gold Medal
- Death toll climbs to 18 in Delhi clashes
- Barcelona draw with Napoli
- ‘Coronavirus outbreak is inevitable in US’
- South Africa faces Australia today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services suspended
- 2 motorcyclists killed in Demra road crash
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 200 yrs old silver coins recovered from abandoned house
- Delhi clash: Death toll rises to 13
- Housewife committed suicide in Pirojpur
- Average life expectancy will be 80 by 2041
- Principal among 4 held for killing madrasa girl after rape
- $3 billion defense deal signed between US and India
- Deputy Health Minister of Iran contracts coronavirus
- Pranab, Bidhya Devi to address JS special session
- Realme launches ‘Made in Bangladesh’ phone
- `Maldives` experience should be utilized in tourism development`
- Pilkhana Tragedy: Nation pays homage to martyrs
- 2 pharmacies fined Tk 50,000 in Brahmanbaria
- Women dies in police custody
- Fraud smugglers detained with fake gold
- Japan to give more $ 10.7 million to aid Rohingya
- ‘No shortage in coronavirus test kits’
- Foods to take after exercise to reduce weight
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 15 new coronavirus cases in S Korea, bringing total to 46
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Mid-air plane collision in Australia kills 4
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire
- Video of principal’s dance in Hindi songs goes viral