Australian minister Karin Kneissl calls on President
Published: 10:41 PM, 20 February 2019 Updated: 10:44 PM, 20 February 2019
Federal minister for Europe, Integration and foreign minister of Austria Dr Karin Kneissl paid a courtesy call on President M Abdul Hamid at Bangabhaban on Wednesday evening.
President Abdul Hamid welcomed the Austrian minister to Bangladesh.
President’s Press Secretary Joynal Abedin later briefed the journalists.
President Abdul Hamid recalled the moral support extended by the government and people of Austria to Bangladesh during the Liberation War in 1971.
Mentioning that the then Austrian Chancellor Bruno Kreisky was honoured with Friends of Liberation War Honour Award in 2012, he said Austria was one of the first countries in Europe as well as in the world which recognized Bangladesh on February 4, 1972.
The President stated that there exists a huge scope for expansion of the trade and investment between Bangladesh and Austria.
He also gave importance on the increase of the relationship between the two countries for the best use of this opportunity.
Expressing sincere thanks to the Austrian government for the support expressed to Bangladesh on the issue of Rohingya people who have taken temporary shelter in Bangladesh, Abdul Hamid stressed the importance of keeping Myanmar under pressure to ensure safe, orderly and sustainable return of the Rohingya to their home Myanmar.
He also sought the moral support from Austria in the international forum to raise the voice for the safe Rohingya repartition.
The Austrian minister lauded the socio-economic development of Bangladesh.
Dr Karin Kneissl also described the development in agriculture sector of Bangladesh as an exemplary one.
During the visit of the Minister of Civil Aviation and Tourism of Bangladesh to Austria in May 2017, the negotiation on air service agreement between the two countries was concluded.
Underscoring the importance of bilateral relationship, President Abdul Hamid hoped that formal signing of the Air Services Agreement would help gain further momentum in bolstering trade, investment, tourism and people-to-people contacts through air connectivity between the countries including direct flights.
Secretaries to the President were also present during the meeting.
- Mahbubur to die for killing Ranada Prasad Shaha
- How US aggressively flexed its cyber warfare powers under Trump
- US carried out cyberattacks on Iran: reports
- UN warns of telecom blackout cover for Myanmar military abuses
- Verdict on Ranada Prasad Shaha murder case today
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- All News »
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Malaysia calls for ‘justice’ for Rohingyas
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Primary recruit exam: 6 held over fake question trafficking
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- Argentina and Qatar set for crucial Copa America match
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Heartbreaking photo of dead migrants stirs outrage