Australian minister Karin Kneissl calls on President
Published: 10:41 PM, 20 February 2019 Updated: 10:44 PM, 20 February 2019
Federal minister for Europe, Integration and foreign minister of Austria Dr Karin Kneissl paid a courtesy call on President M Abdul Hamid at Bangabhaban on Wednesday evening.
President Abdul Hamid welcomed the Austrian minister to Bangladesh.
President’s Press Secretary Joynal Abedin later briefed the journalists.
President Abdul Hamid recalled the moral support extended by the government and people of Austria to Bangladesh during the Liberation War in 1971.
Mentioning that the then Austrian Chancellor Bruno Kreisky was honoured with Friends of Liberation War Honour Award in 2012, he said Austria was one of the first countries in Europe as well as in the world which recognized Bangladesh on February 4, 1972.
The President stated that there exists a huge scope for expansion of the trade and investment between Bangladesh and Austria.
He also gave importance on the increase of the relationship between the two countries for the best use of this opportunity.
Expressing sincere thanks to the Austrian government for the support expressed to Bangladesh on the issue of Rohingya people who have taken temporary shelter in Bangladesh, Abdul Hamid stressed the importance of keeping Myanmar under pressure to ensure safe, orderly and sustainable return of the Rohingya to their home Myanmar.
He also sought the moral support from Austria in the international forum to raise the voice for the safe Rohingya repartition.
The Austrian minister lauded the socio-economic development of Bangladesh.
Dr Karin Kneissl also described the development in agriculture sector of Bangladesh as an exemplary one.
During the visit of the Minister of Civil Aviation and Tourism of Bangladesh to Austria in May 2017, the negotiation on air service agreement between the two countries was concluded.
Underscoring the importance of bilateral relationship, President Abdul Hamid hoped that formal signing of the Air Services Agreement would help gain further momentum in bolstering trade, investment, tourism and people-to-people contacts through air connectivity between the countries including direct flights.
Secretaries to the President were also present during the meeting.
- PM greets FFs with gifts on Independence Day
- President hosts reception on Independence Day
- AL Presidium Committee meeting March 29
- DU celebrates Independence Day
- AL to hold discussion on Independence Day tomorrow
- PM releases stamps, opens Post Office’s digital financial service
- Mamata greets Bangladesh on Independence Day
- Youth held for derogatory comments on PM, Joy
- Mohin’s new song ‘Russel Amader Sadhinota’
- Pentagon authorizes $1 bn for Trump’s border wall
- Washington declares ‘Bangladesh Day’ today
- Schoolgirl killed as leguna fell into ditch in Cumilla
- Obaidul Quader shifted to cabin from ICU
- Rain or thundershowers with gusty wind likely
- Google doodle celebrates Bangladesh’s Independence Day
- Barca wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- La Liga wishes Bangladesh on Independence Day
- PM pays homage to Bangabandhu on Independence Day
- President, PM pays homage to Liberation War heroes
- Nation celebrating 49th Independence Day
- Build advance country being imbued with patriotism: PM
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- All News »
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- PM mourns death of singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah
- Two drug traders killed in Teknaf gunfight
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery underway
- Man detained for anti-state campaign in capital
- New Zealand to ban military-style weapons