Australian militant stripped of citizenship
Published: 05:40 PM, 29 December 2018 Updated: 05:40 PM, 29 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Australia's most wanted militant, Neil Prakash, has been stripped of his Australian citizenship.
Announcing the move, Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton described Prakash as "a very dangerous individual".
Intelligence officials say Melbourne-born Prakash was a recruiter for the Islamic State (IS) group and encouraged terrorist plots in Australia.
He is currently being held in Turkey where he faces trial on terror-related charges.
In July, a Turkish court ruled against extraditing him to face terrorism charges in his home country.
In Australia, he faces charges of being member of a terrorist organization as well as supporting and promoting IS.
In a televised news conference, Mr Dutton said Prakash had been central to IS's efforts in the Middle East.
"If given the opportunity Mr Prakash would harm or kill Australians and our country is a safer place for him having lost his Australian citizenship," he said.
In 2016, the Australian government described Prakash as "the principal Australian reaching back from the Middle East" into networks in Melbourne and Sydney.
In a court appearance in Turkey in 2017, Prakash admitted he had "something to do" with terrorist plots in Australia but said he was "not 100% responsible".
He said he had been forced to make IS propaganda videos and that he had fled the group after seeing its "true face".
Prakash, 27, left Australia for Syria in 2013, taking the name Abu Khaled al-Cambodi. He was mistakenly reported to have been killed in a US air strike in Mosul, Iraq, in 2015.
Through his father, Prakash had joint Australian and Fijian citizenship. Under Australian law, a dual national can be stripped of their citizenship if they are convicted or suspected of terror offenses.
Prakash is the 12th dual citizen to be stripped of Australian citizenship.
- Girl commits suicide in Capital
- Bangladesh to be poverty free by 2030: Kamal
- Israel strikes Gaza after rocket hits house
- British MPs bid to take control over Brexit
- Nation observes one-minute `blackout`
- At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
- National anthem to be sung simultaneously nationwide tomorrow
- President visits Combined Military Hardware Display
- Fruits that burn fat like crazy
- Paleontologists report world`s biggest Tyrannosaurus rex
- Probe into case against Shahidul to remain halted
- JCD leader held over derogatory remarks on Liberation War
- ACC`s charge sheet accused 12 incl Sonali Bank GM
- BCB to sell jersey ahead of World Cup
- Argentina players don`t deserve to wear the shirt: Maradona
- DAE upbeat on bumper mango production
- DCCI urged Chinese investors
- Zidane starts operation Mbappe
- Chhagalnaiya upazila election stayed
- Savar National Memorial prepared for 26 Mar
- Mymensingh City Corp polls May 5
- 1.35m HSC examinee this yr
- Ducsu VP, AGS’ support over job entry age extn movt
- Abahani beat Mohammedan to stay top
- Case filed over SAU`s Wasim murder
- Avijit murder case shifted to ATT for trial
- Griffith appointed Australia bowling coach
- Kamal for amplify value of harmony
- Dipu Moni calls month long ‘Coaching’ shut
- Biogas brings a better life to rural women
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Bangladesh eliminated from AFC U-23 Championship
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- HC revokes bail of Subarnachar rape accused
- 3 killed as train hits motobike in Gopalganj
- Drive launches to arrest Rangamati separatists
- Colourful Career of the Chief of Army Staff of Bangladesh Army
- 2nd phase of polls in 116 UZs underway
- Obaidul Quader’s bypass surgery decision today
- Singer Shahnaj Rahmatullah dies