Australia suffers hottest summer on record
Published: 03:50 PM, 1 March 2019
Persistent heat waves made Australia's past summer the hottest on record which was plagued by extreme floods, bushfires and ongoing drought, the country's Bureau of Meteorology (BoM) said Friday.
Average maximum and minimum temperatures for Australia as a whole were 2.14 degrees Celsius above the 1961-90 average, smashing the previous record from 2012-13 which was 1.28 degrees Celsius hotter than average.
"The heat we saw this summer was unprecedented. While the final numbers are yet to be analyzed, we know it will be the warmest on record for Australia as a whole, and many individual locations will have broken summer heat records as well," BoM climatologist Lynette Bettio said.
Causing the unseasonable weather, Bettio said, was a noticeable absence of strong cold fronts that would normally bring relief during summer.
"A lot of this was caused by persistent high pressure systems sitting over the Tasman Sea that was blocking those fronts from impacting the south of the country, especially during January."
"It won't come as a surprise to many that this summer will be our warmest on record, but apart from parts of northern Queensland, many locations fell short of their summer rainfall averages too," BoM manager of long-range forecasting Andrew Watkins.
Meanwhile the country's autumn weather outlook brings little relief for the country's drought affecting east with hot and dry conditions expected to continue.
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- 113 UK MPs criticized Israeli apartheid policy
- 3 killed as bus hits standing truck
- Youth killed in Lakshmipur gunfight
- Ben Ali: The autocrat’s anomie lit-up Arab Spring
- Singer Aaron Carter raped by older sister
- Nusrat-Mimi dance for Durga Puja theme song
- Google to invest 3 bin euros in Europe
- Bangladesh pays hotel fare for Zim team
- Modi highly ambitious over India-US ties amid UNGA visit
- Polio outbreak in Philippines
- 24 Rohingyas detained in Ctg
- Operations will be conducted in Chattogram too: Minister
- BIMOX 2nd edition expo-2019 begins
- ICMAB holds talks on sustainability, global reporting initiatives
- Masakadza wins Zimbabwe in outing match
- 9 m babies born in unrest part of world last yr
- RAB surrounds 3 more clubs in city
- GK Shamim is none of Jubo League: Omar Farooq
- U-23 India series: Bangladesh lost to host by 34 runs
- PM leaves for NY to join UNGA
- Arjun Kapoor trolls Alia Bhatt
- Kalabagan Krira Chakra president Shafiqul detains
- Zim’s captain to farewell intl cricket
- Salman leaps with joy as Katrina sets IIFA 2019 stage on fire
- Why Srabanti suddenly in Dhaka?
- SBMC under teacher crisis
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- Rain-floods claimed 5 lives in Spain
- US plan to explode moon with NUC bombing
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka