Australia 96-2 at tea, replying to England`s 346
Published: 12:41 PM, 5 January 2018 Updated: 04:09 PM, 5 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Australia lost Cameron Bancroft and then David Warner just before the end of the afternoon session and score 96-2 at tea break and 250 runs behind after bowling England out for 346 earlier on the second day of the fifth Ashes test on Friday.
Seamer Stuart Broad gave England the perfect splendid day by bowling opener Bancroft for a duck with his second ball of the day, but Australia responded with Warner scoring his third half-century in the series as part of 85 runs partnership with Usman Khawaja to steady the innings.
Australia appeared to be gaining a strong grip on the contest, Jimmy Anderson struck minutes before tea break to caught behind Warner for 56 off 104 balls.
Captain Steve Smith was not out and batting with Khawaja who was unbeaten on 35 and working hard to find form and rhythm in his innings.
Warner who has three centuries in his last three tests at the Sydney Cricket Ground, seemed to be on course for another century as he raised his 50 off 89 balls with five boundaries.
Earlier, some big hitting by the lower order batsman, helped England to add 113 runs and reached a competitive score despite losing their last specialist batsman, Dawid Malan (62), early in the session to a spectacular one-handed catch by Smith at second slip.
Broad and Curran who is playing his second test, guide England to past 300 runs and kept swinging the bat in spectacular 41-run partnership before Curran popped a catch to Bancroft at short leg off Cummins for 39 by which England managed to score 346 runs.
On day one, following a two-hour rain delay, England had slipped to 95-3 before Joe Root and Malan shared a 133-run partnership to frustrate Australia until a late flurry of wickets changed the momentum of the match as the tourists slipped to 233-5 at stumps.
Australia won the first three tests which ensure them to regain the Ashes and the fourth test was drawn last week in Melbourne.
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Lightning kills 9 in 4 districts
- `Action against who discourage Rohingya `
- August 15 and 21 are in same knot
- First successful Air-raid in history
- Kashmir: Bone of contention between India-Pakistan
- Israel detains 16 Palestinians in West Bank raids
- Golden fibre makes farmer smile
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- 15 houses fined having Aedes larvae in city
- Mother’s fight to fulfill daughter’s wish
- 3-day ‘Tree Fair’ begins in Manirampur
- ‘Sonar Bangla should be established to pay homage to Bangabandhu’
- Soroj Mehedi becomes BD Chief executive to MEDCOM-2020
- Big profit in little invest
- PEC exam schedule published
- Commerce Minister sought Brazil’s help to rise export
- Soumitra Chatterjee discharged from hospital
- Israel seeks to beat PTSD with ‘ecstasy’ therapy
- Mechanized farming in Bishwanath
- Mosharraf Karim flew to Canada on birthday!
- Air-ticket on mobile app
- Rohingya refused to go back
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!
- 2,549 dengue patients return home after recovery in Khulna
- 3 mobile operators gave Tk 9k crore to google-Facebook
- PM urges to improve Biman’s passenger services
- Nurse murdered over ‘triangle extra-marital affair’
- Rangpur farmers happy with better jute price
- Bubly wants to work with another instead of Shakib
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Truck driver rescues girl from rape on moving bus
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Sabbir invites PM to his wedding
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- Kona disclosed her marriage 3 months later!
- Immortal sayings of Bangabandhu
- Army Chief off to Indonesia Sunday
- Fire breaks out at Mirpur slum
- Nayan`s last SMS to Minni
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- 4 of a family killed in M’singh bus-car collision
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- Mirpur slum fire doused
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Two Bangladeshis killed in Saudi road crash
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- BCB seek clarity from Mashrafe Mortaza about ODI future
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Pak-India war! 8 soldiers killed on LoC
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves