August, the month of mourning begins
Published: 09:40 AM, 1 August 2019 Updated: 03:55 PM, 1 August 2019
August, the month of mourning begins today (Thursday) for the nation to recall once again the most brutal assassination in its history and renew the pledge to safeguard perpetually the country’s independence and sovereignty.
The killing of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and most of his family members on the fateful night of August 15, 1975, is the ugliest chapter of the nation’s history.
The self-confessed killers of August 15 did not assassinate Bangabandhu alone but also killed 16 other members of his family, friends and relatives. They included Bangamata Begum Fazilatunnesa Mujib, sons Sheikh Kamal, Sheikh Jamal and Sheikh Russell, daughters-in-law Sultana Kamal and Rosy Jamal, Bangabandhu’s brother Sheikh Naser, brother-in-law Abdur Rab Serniabat, nephew and eminent journalist Sheikh Fazlul Huq Moni, his pregnant wife Arzoo Moni and military secretary Colonel Jamil.
Bangabandhu’s two daughters - eldest daughter Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and Sheikh Rehana - escaped the planned assassination as they were visiting Germany at that time.
The killing of Bangabandhu, the greatest son of the soil in thousand years, descended a pall of gloom and spread a sense of deep sadness among the people in the country and across the globe. The world protested and condemned the killing, saying it is an irreparable loss to millions of people of Bangladesh.
The month of August is also black marked with another conspiracy of assassination. The nation cannot ever forget the heinous attempt of killing Sheikh Hasina through grenade attacks. The vested quarter, who assassinated Bangabandhu in 1975, also tried to destroy Awami League (AL) by killing its president Sheikh Hasina with grenades on an anti-terrorism rally at Bangabandhu Avenue here on August 21 in 2004.
Sheikh Hasina narrowly escaped the attack suffering splinter injuries when 24 of her party men, including Awami League’s women’s affairs secretary Ivy Rahman were killed and 500 others injured.
Like in the previous years, different political and socio-cultural organisations, including ruling Awami League and its associate bodies have chalked out month-long programmes beginning tomorrow.
This year, the nation will observe the National Mourning Day and the 44th anniversary of martyrdom of Father of the Nation.
Awami Swechchasebak League (ASL) will start its month-long mourning programme by bringing out a torch procession in the city streets marching towards Bangabandhu Memorial Museum at Dhanmondi in the early hours of the day, ASL general secretary Pankaj Devnath, MP, told BSS yesterday.
Meanwhile, AL general secretary and Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader, MP, will inaugurate a voluntary blood donation programme organized by Krishak League (KL) at Dhanmondi at 3 pm.
At dawn on August 15, the national flag and party flag will be kept at half-mast while black flag will be hoisted at the Bangabandhu Bhaban, Awami League (AL) headquarters in the capital city and all other offices of the party across the country.
Other programmes of this mourning month include observing birth anniversaries of Begum Sheikh Fazilatunnesa Mujib and Bangabandhu’s eldest son Sheikh Kamal, serial bomb blasts on August 17, grisly grenade attack on August and death anniversary of National Poet Kazi Nazrul Islam.
In line with the national programme, different ministries and departments, directorates and agencies, all city corporations, district councils, municipalities and union councils will organize various programmes at their respective institutions in this month.
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Tunisian ex-president Ben Ali dies at 83
- Khaled put on 7-day remand
- Myanmar should take back Rohingyas: PM
- Another Bangladesh in Kashmir
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- Banca Monte: World’s oldest bank still operates
- PM to leave for New York tomorrow
- Passport office gets new DG
- ‘Smart Glass’ will replace Smartphone!
- Siddhirganj murder: Sensational info reveals
- Difficult diseases treatment without certificate
- ‘You’re Killing Me’ Ranveer to Deepika
- Drives carried out on secret info: HM
- Local brands dominate Dhaka Furniture Fair
- NRC will be done countrywide: Amit Shah
- Stitch in Aminul’s hand, uncertain for next match
- Preparations for AL’s next council underway: Quader
- Arms, Drugs and Money Laundering Act files against Khalid
- Jubo League leader Khalid handed over to Gulshan police
- 30 farmers killed in airstrike in eastern Afghanistan
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Shakib Khan’s talk on Salman Shah’s birthday celebration
- Water for refreshing face
- India on top of refugee provider list
- Twin baby die drinking milk
- Canadian court allows Bangladesh’s judicial review for Nur Chy’s info
- U-14 Academy Cup final tomorrow
- Netanyahu calls on Gantz to form a unity government together
- All News »
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- ‘Mayaboti’ to release 22 theaters tomorrow
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- Mystery reveals after query actress Shimla
- Taliban seizes more land after failed peace talks
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- ACC director Yusuf’s wife burnt in fire dies
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Amitabh was victim to marry Jaya!
- 12 sailors missing as lighter ship capsizes in Bay of Bengal