At least 18 dead as floods sweep Iran
Published: 09:18 PM, 25 March 2019
The death toll of floods that have swept across most Iranian provinces has risen to 18 with more than 70 injured, the country's emergency services said Monday.
National Emergency Service chief Pirhossein Koolivand said the casualty toll in the southern city of Shiraz was 17 dead and 74 injured, while another person was killed in Sarpol-e Zahab in the western province of Kermanshah, the service said on its website.
Iran has been facing unprecedented floods in 25 of its 31 provinces, the country's Crisis Management Organisation said.
The latest floods have struck mostly west and southwest Iran and follow major flooding on March 19 in the northeast's Golestan and Mazandaran provinces, for which no official casualty toll has been issued.
Emergency services have been hampered by Iranian New Year holidays, with many employees on vacation.
The police have advised against road trips in the coming days, with many roads blocked by flooding or landslides caused by heavy rains.
The Crises Management Organisation and the health ministry, in charge of hospitals, have cancelled all leave and been placed on full alert, while provincial chiefs have been ordered to remain at their posts.
Iran's meteorological service has warned that the rains will carry on into Wednesday.
- Rowshan thanks countrymen for showing respect to Ershad
- Man gets life term for raping teenager in Kurigram
- 10 dead, many trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Why Patience is a Virtue?
- Mobile healthcare for flood victims
- Why railway crossing ‘death trap’?
- Monsoon rains wreak flood havoc across South Asia
- I am not a racist, insists Trump
- Rifat`s wife Minni arrested
- Flood affects 42 villages in Sherpur
- We have to stand against militancy: Monirul
- Someshwari river erosion continues
- Kader’s health test completed, doctors satisfied
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Before the last ball, I thought of Mushfiqur: Stokes
- Vivo ‘Made in Bangladesh’ soon
- Ershad laid to rest in Rangpur
- US Navy reports cyberwar skill as ‘National Miscalculation’
- Shakib in Harsha Bhogle CWC19 XI
- PM directed not to buy ‘DEMU’ train more
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Bijoy, Taijul call up for Sri Lanka series
- ECNEC clears 8 projects involving Tk 5,142.6 cr
- Ershad to be buried in Rangpur
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ex-RAJUK chair Harun gets anticipatory bail
- Heat wave sweeping over Khulna, may spread
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Rohingya crisis: ICC delegation in Dhaka
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- All News »
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Netherlands Queen Maxima due today
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Rickshaw pullers block Dhaka streets protesting ban
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Rifat murder: Rifat Farazi in 7-day remand
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Dutch Queen Maxima arrives
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- Don’t publish deceptive information about milk: HC
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- Sexual assault on Nusrat: charges to be formed Jul 17
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva