Asia’s Bengal Tigers begin with victory
Bangladesh win by 21 runs
Published: 11:39 PM, 2 June 2019 Updated: 10:06 AM, 3 June 2019
Bangladesh starts 12th ICC World Cup with victory beating South Africa by 21 runs. Tigers scored 330 runs while South Africa's innings end after scoring 309 runs to chase Bangladesh.
Bangladesh posts their highest score 330/6 in a 50-over World Cup and their highest score against South Africa in ODIs after being sent into bat. It was set up by Soumya at the top with a blistering 42. Then Shakib and Mushfiqur put together an outstanding 142-run stand before Mahmudullah and Mosaddek finished the job.
After winning the toss South Africa asked Bangladesh to bat first.
Openers, Tamim Iqbal and Soumya Sarkar added 60 runs in 8.2 overs.
Bangladesh lost the first wicket when Faf du Plessis called first change of bowler Andile Phehlukwayo. In his second delivery of the match, he removed Tamim Iqbal off a deadly bouncer.
Tamim tried to move the bat away but at the end, he managed an outside edge. Quinton de Kock took an easy catch behind the wicket.
For South Africa AL Phehlukwayo, CH Morris and Imran Tahir took 2 wickets each.
- ICC breakes silence over overthrow controversy
- 100pc pass in Adamjee College
- PM urges PGR for highest professional sacrifice
- Saudi stops drone thrown by Yemeni rebels
- HSC examinee suicide crushed under train
- First child born in `Madina`
- ‘My Masud appointed as Police’
- Sadarghat building collapse: Father-Son missing
- Boys in GPA 5, girls ahead in pass rate
- Chattogram range`s best OC Jahidul Kabir
- Quatar WC qualifiers: Bangladesh in Group E
- Nusrat got ‘A’ grade but fail!
- Ex-Songazi OC Moazzem indicted
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Mosharraf Karim paired with Safa in ‘Dil Daan Kalachan’
- Fish production marks constant rise over last 5 yrs
- What actions taken against police failure; HC asked
- Now woman killed in Teknaf gunfight
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- Road link with Bandarban restores after 8-day
- 100 pc pass in 907 inst
- Temperature may rise over country
- Army ready to tackle flood: Army Chief
- PM flags off ‘Benapole Express’
- No students passed in 41 colleges
- US bans Myanmar army chief over Rohingya ‘ethnic cleansing’
- Death toll climbs to 5 after quake in eastern Indonesia
- Quader’s follow-up checkup after surgery completed
- This years’ results good, acceptable: PM
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- All News »
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- New Zealand knock India out of World Cup
- 24 killed in Papua New Guinea tribal massacres
- Happy Birthday Purnima
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HM Ershad passes away
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- ‘Cox’s Bazar losing ecological balance for Rohingyas’
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- NZ to face England in 12th ICC World Cup final
- Merkel says `very well` despite third shaking spell
- Queen Maxima and banking for the grassroots!
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Six bodies found in Cox’s Bazar beach
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- UN to pay Bangladesh Tk 500 cr due
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- Rifat murder: Another one detained
- Rail link with Rajshahi snapped
- 5 things must need for securing modern network
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- DU admission test in new method
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge