Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
Published: 02:04 PM, 24 June 2019
Argentina is alive in the 2019 Copa America. The Albiceleste will face Venezuela in the knockout rounds of the tournament thanks to a 2-0 win over Qatar in Porto Alegre on Sunday.
The game started with an early goal for Argentina thanks to a terrible mistake by the Qatar defense and a good finish by Lautaro Martinez, which eased the pressure on the favorites and let them play the game how they wanted.
The Albiceleste was good at mixing up how they defended when Qatar had the ball, pressing high sometimes then dropping really deep inside their half when the opponents advanced more, which meant they were able to avoid any trouble and still remain dangerous when they got the ball back.
The front three of Messi, Lautaro and Agüero created a lot of chances thanks to their smart and constant movement in the final third, and Argentina missed at least three huge chances (Agüero twice and Otamendi) to increase the lead.
At halftime a good team performance had Argentina qualified, but they needed to score again to ensure they’d get the win.
Qatar knew they were going out with the loss, so they sent more bodies forward and tried to press higher looking for an equalizer, which left a lot of space at the back for Argentina to try and exploit.
For a lot of the final period the Selección created chance after chance on the break, but a combination of poor finishing by the forwards (including Messi) and a couple of great saves from goalkeeper Al Sheeb kept the score at 1-0, and it seemed like we were headed for a tense finish.
Then Agüero went on an amazing run, turned Boualem Khoukhi inside out and scored a beautiful goal to give Argentina a two-goal lead and kill the game. Qatar desperately tried to score at least once to stay alive, but they couldn’t get it.
The final whistle came to confirm a big win for Argentina, who avoid the group stage elimination and still finish second in the group thanks to Colombia’s win over Paraguay in the other game. Messi got help for the first time, and they’ll face the weakest quarterfinalist. Now that’s a good Sunday. - Barca Blaugranes
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- Father stabbed dead allegedly by son
- Taxicab, which falls into Turag, not traced even after 11 hrs
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- Today’s sports on TV
- Lightning strikes kill 32 in Uttar Pradesh
- Housewife`s body recovered from Chikli River
- Reckless Green Line takes woman`s life
- Bangladesh wins 3 bronze in International Biology Olympiad
- AL will compete in Ershad’s seat
- DU students to stage demo tomorrow
- Govt appoints 70 DAGs
- Ferries not to carry truck during Eid
- Two bodies recovered in Pabna
- Muri Paddy makes farmer happy
- Hajj 2019: Multi-Storey tents in Mina for first time ever!
- Aush-Amon flooded in Moulvibazar
- Emotional Patrick Stewart unveils new Star Trek
- DIG Mizan shown arrested in bribery case
- Artificial milk production: Cost TK 6, Sell TK 61!
- HC fixed further time for Greenline
- Abduction, blackmale then ransom
- Rooppur pillow issue: HC waits for ministry’s action
- Verdict against 5 Gaibandha Razakars any day
- Rajshahi Kings sign JP Duminy
- Death convict surrendered
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Minni sent to jail
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web
- Minni on 5-day remand
- PM opens 7 housing uplift schemes