Charitable Trust case
Appellate Division rejects Khaleda’s bail plea
Published: 03:13 PM, 12 December 2019 Updated: 05:36 PM, 12 December 2019
The Appellate Division on Thursday has rejected the bail plea of BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia in the Zia Charitable Trust corruption case. The court also ordered improved treatment based on medical reports.
A six-judge bench of the Appellate Division, headed by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, passed the order at around 1:15 pm.
Khaleda’s lawyer AM Mahbubuddin Khokon confirmed the matter to Daily Bangladesh.
Earlier, the hearing of the case was started at 10:08 am and continue till 1:00 pm. After the hearing, six judges, including the Chief Justice, went to the court chamber and came back to courtroom after taking a decision. Then rejected the bail plea of BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia in the Zia Charitable Trust case.
During the hearing, lawyers Zainul Abedin, Khandaker Mahbub Hossain, Moudud Ahmed, Nitai Roy Chowdhury, AKM Ehsanur Rahman were stood on behalf of the Khaleda Zia in the court.
Lawyer Khurshid Alam Khan was stood for the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) while Attorney General Mahbubey Alam was present for the state.
Earlier, the High Court bench of Justice Obaidul Hasan and Justice SM Kuddus Zaman on July 31 rejected the bail plea in the charitable case. Her lawyers then filed an appeal against the High Court on November 14.
The appeal of 1401-pages was filed in the concerned branch of the Appellate Division. The court adjourned the proceedings till Thursday, seeking the report on Khaleda Zia’s health condition.
The latest medical report of Khaleda Zia’s physical condition has been sent to the Supreme Court within the deadline set up by the court. Professor Dr Kanak Kanti Barua, VC of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) sent the report to the Registrar of the Appellate Division on Wednesday around 3:30 pm.
Medical reports say Khaleda Zia suffers from arthritis. She was not suffered from any new disease. Her physical condition is the same as before.
Earlier, on October 29 last year, Akhteruzzaman, the fifth special judge of Dhaka court was sentenced Khaleda Zia to seven years rigorous imprisonment and a fine of Tk 10 lakh. The remaining accused were given the same sentence and the court declared the confiscation of the trust’s property. Khaleda Zia sought bail in the Appellate Division on November 14 after failing to secure bail in the High Court.
She has been serving five years' rigorous imprisonment at Old Central Jail, as she was convicted in the Zia Orphanage Trust graft case on February 8 last. She is currently undergoing treatment at Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU).
- Demolition of BGMEA building started
- E-passport to launch today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Naval services on Paturia-Daulatdia halted
- Copa del Rey: Barcelona to face Ibiza tonight
- BNP is a failed political party: Quader
- 2 held over ‘rape’ of girl in N’ganj
- Srijit was hot-headed before marriage: Raima
- Ishita sings with son
- 11 held with marijuana-cash in Bhairab
- Facebook to boost site safety with 1,000 more UK staff
- Tigers’ Pak T20 series rescheduled
- Newborn baby found wrapped in lungi
- No alternative to eating alone to lose weight!
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- 2 Indian soldiers killed in Kashmir gunfight
- Three-way traffic collision kills 4 in Keraniganj
- Child drowned in Faridpur
- Homemade way to blacken hair
- National Science and Technology Week begins in Gopalganj
- Illegal establishments abolished in Singair
- 68,000 families to get disaster-resistant home in Mujib Year
- De Kock to lead SA ODI team
- Baby dies after drowning in Faridpur
- Debtor stabbed farmer for Tk 200
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- U-19 WC: Junior Tigers reach quarterfinals
- 2 detained with Indian cows in Roumari border
- Locals block road in protest of eve-teasing in Sunamganj
- 5 members of ‘Malam Party’ arrested
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- One held in Sirajganj over child rape charge
- China’s new virus likely to spread around