Alexa “Appeal hearing to start this year”

Dhaka, Saturday   21 September 2019

Akash

Aug 21 grenade attack 

“Appeal hearing to start this year”

 Staff Correspondent  daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 02:28 PM, 21 August 2019  

File Photo

File Photo

Law Minister Anisul Huq on Wednesday said the appeal hearing in the August 21 grenade attack case will start within the next two to four months. 

“The verdict’s paper book is being prepared and it’ll be finalised very soon,” he told reporters at the Secretariat in the capital. 

“It’s taking time since testimonies of 225 witnesses were recorded,” he explained. “We hope the appeal hearing will start within this year.”

The gruesome grenade attack was carried out at an anti-terrorism rally of Awami League (AL) at Bangabandhu Avenue in the capital on August 21 in 2004 aiming to bankrupt the party leadership during the BNP-Jamaat alliance government.

By the grace of the Almighty, the then opposition leader and incumbent Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and other front-ranking leaders of AL narrowly escaped the carnage.

But, 24 people including the then Mahila AL president and wife of late Bangladesh President Zillur Rahman were killed and over 500 others injured in the attack and many of them became crippled for life.  

On October 10 last year, a Dhaka court sentenced 19 people - including former state minister for home affairs Lutfozzaman Babar - to death. Tarique Rahman, the eldest son of BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia, and 18 others were sentenced to life in prison.

Responding to a question about the fugitive convicts, Anisul said: “The process to bring them back is on but there’s some complexity.”

He declined to comment when asked about the government’s plan to bring back Tarique.

DailyBangladesh/Nishi