Anwar succeeds in Squash farming
Published: 08:48 PM, 17 January 2020
Anwar Hossain a farmer from Ranginagar Upazila of Naogaon, sees successful cultivation of Squash along with other vegetables.
Farmer Anwar Hossain is the son of Abdul Rahman of Kaligram Dighirpur village of Kaligram UP. He said that for several years he has been cultivating different types of vegetables including Shrimp, Gourd, Radish, Tomatoes, Cauliflower and Cabbage.
However, seeing this vegetable in a hat he plant squash saplings as experimental. First, he plant seeds like sweet pumpkin or ground at home, then he plants it in the fields and got success. The squash tree is like a sweet pumpkin.
Raninagar Upazila Agriculture Officer Shahidul Islam said the sweet pumpkin is round but it looks as long as squash and is like sweet pumpkin in taste. It is also very nutritious. Although the sweet pumpkin tree is very tall, the squash tree is one to one and a half feet tall.
He added that although this vegetable is cultivated in hilly areas and in different countries, it is very new in this part of the country. And although the farmers are successful in cultivating this new vegetable, they have little idea of squash cultivation.
For the first time, squash has been cultivated in two places in Raninagar Upazila. Saurav Khandkar of Simba village of the Upazila has also cultivated squash vegetables in three Katha land.
Meanwhile, this vegetable is new in the market but is being sold at a price Tk 30 to 35 per piece due to demand. Each squash is between one and a half to two and a half kg. Since squash is new in the area as a vegetable, many local vegetable farmers are coming and consulting to learn about its farming practices and to see squash fields.
Anwar Hossain also said that he has cultivated in about eight decimal of land as experimental. According to the farmer's data, the purchase of saplings, preparation of land, planting, fertilizers and pesticides, has cost eight Tk 1500.
So far, Tk 6000 worth of squash has been sold from the land. He also expected to earn Tk 2000 or more from the remaining Squash. He said the cost of cultivating is relatively low and I will cultivate more squash on more land next year.
Shahidul Islam added, "We have no idea about cultivating squash vegetables. The two cultivators in this area have been successful and become profited. Many of them are coming to the office for advice. But we cannot advise the farmers as there is no proper idea in squash cultivation. Even then, from the idea that we have taken, squash cultivation is quite profitable. Hopefully, squash will be grown in a big way next season.
- Father shots lightning bird, son takes responsibility to cure
- AL leader shot dead in Bandarban
- 2 drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Teenager electrocuted in Chakaria
- Top terrorist Zisan’s close aide Shakil held
- Worshiping Trump’s idol!
- FBCCI favor trade with China continues
- Naeem credits Taijul for his success
- ‘Very enthusiastic people aggravating coronavirus’
- Harsh condition of healthcare in Sarankhola
- Elderly man killed in Noakhali road accident
- Cristiano Ronaldo set to make 1,000th
- Shakib Khan’s new actress Salwa!
- Elderly man killed in tractor-nachimon collision
- Nirbhaya case convicts to be hanged on March 3
- Bangladesh emerges as self-dignified country under Sheikh Hasina
- Road reformed with kerosene spray!
- Daulatdia brothel gets namaz-e-janaza for third time
- Sammy to receive honorary citizenship of Pakistan
- Schoolgirl takes poison for lover’s weeding
- Sri Lanka win by 1 wicket in vacillate 1st ODI
- Ryanair boss criticized for Muslim profiling comments
- Maulana Mehmood Madani to visit Dhaka
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangabandhu Book Corner for all primary schools
- Pension within 3-day of bill submission
- Man detained with large number yaba
- 9 hospitalized for drinking tea in Manikganj
- Govt decides to declare 2021 as Tourism Year
- Myanmar army plans trials for abuses on Rohingyas
- All News »
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Good news to honey farmers
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- Coronavirus: 10,844 discharged from hospital
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- CUET student Tahmid dies
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Coronavirus infected more than 67,000 globally
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Ivanka Trump wears hijab for mosque visit
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Mother with dead daughter in VR show
- 14 children among 22 killed in Cameroon massacre
- Padma Bridge’s 25th span to be installed on Language Day
- Dhaka-10 by-polls; Those who are in talks