Anti-Sisi protests break out in Egypt
Published: 02:29 PM, 21 September 2019
Rare small protests broke out on Friday in Cairo and other Egyptian cities calling for the removal of President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi but police quickly dispersed them, AFP journalists reported.
Dozens of people joined night-time demonstrations around Tahrir Square - the epicentre of the 2011 revolution that toppled the country’s long-time autocratic leader.
Such demonstrations are rare after Egypt effectively banned protests under a law passed following the 2013 military ouster of Islamist ex-president Mohamed Morsi.
Amid a heavy security presence, including riot police and plainclothes police officers, protesters were rounded up.
AFP journalists saw at least five protesters being arrested and police firing tear gas at demonstrators around the square.
Under the rule of general-turned-president Sisi, who led Morsi’s ouster, authorities have launched a broad crackdown on dissidents, jailing thousands of Islamists as well as secular activists and popular bloggers.
Footage of the demonstrations, in which dozens chant “Leave Sisi”, was shared online using the hashtag #Tahrir_Square, which was trending worldwide.
Along the road overlooking the Nile, close to the square, AFP journalists reported seeing small groups of people chanting anti-Sisi slogans after the rapid dispersal.
The protests come on the back of Mohamed Ali, a disgruntled exiled Egyptian businessman, demanding the toppling of Sisi.
The construction contractor has been posting viral videos from Spain since the beginning of September accusing Sisi and the military of rampant corruption.
Sisi flatly denied the allegations last week at a youth conference assuring Egyptians he “was honest and faithful” to his people and the military.
In his latest video posted early Friday morning on his growing social media accounts, Ali urged Egyptians to head to the streets after a highly anticipated football match between Cairo powerhouses Al Ahly and Zamalek in the Super Cup.
Widely shared videos online have also shown scattered protests varying in numbers in Alexandria, Al-Mahalla, Damietta and Suez. - AFP
- Fragmented body found in mysterious suitcase
- JMI Hospital Requisite MFG. Ltd. completes Road Show for IPO
- Five dead as Chile looters torch factory
- Fire at Keya Spinning Mill in Gazipur
- President reaches Japan
- 4 ‘Ansar al-Islam’ militants held in capital
- 9 new HC judges take oath
- Clash in Borhanuddin: 5000 sued in a case
- 6-10 Pakistan soldiers killed by Indian army
- Councillor Rajib placed on 14-day remand
- 30 killed as bus skids off road, bursts into flames
- 9 new HC judges to take oath today
- T20 WC Qualifier: Canada faces Nigeria today
- ‘Abominable’ won’t be screened in Malaysia over S. China Sea map
- India, Pakistan exchange fire in Kashmir, killing 9
- Brexit will happen on Oct. 31
- Bangladesh Army Volleyball competition concludes
- Chile paralyzed after three die in protest violence
- Young Elephants of Laos humiliate Mohun Bagan
- Laxman, Smith picks Tamim, Shakib in their dream XI
- 1,34,625 HA land under T-Aman cultivation in Netrokona
- People aren’t responding to Oikya Front’s call: Hasan
- President reaches Singapore en route to Japan
- 1st scientific congress on NCDs kicks off in city
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Jubo League chairman Omar Faruq fired
- Saifuddin to miss T20 series in India
- PM receives Russian translated books on Bangabandhu-Sheikh Hasina
- Pearl over 8 thousand-yrs old found in UAE
- Four to die for murder in Faridpur
- All News »
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today
- BUET students’ call off protests
- Johnson sends unsigned letter to EU for Brexit delay
- City Bank MD alleged for sexual assault