Andrew Kishor: At a glance of ‘Playback Emperor’...

Dhaka, Wednesday   12 August 2020

Beximco LPG Gas

Andrew Kishor: At a glance of ‘Playback Emperor’

 Nazmul Ahsan

 Published: 08:38 PM, 6 July 2020  

Andrew Kishor

Andrew Kishor

National award-winning singer, also known as ‘Playback Emperor’, Andrew Kishor has passed away at the age of 64 at a clinic in Rajshahi on Monday afternoon after battling with cancer for 10 long months.

Born on November 4, 1955, Andrew spent his childhood and adolescence in Rajshahi. Andrew Kishore initially started studying music with Abdul Aziz Bachchu of Rajshahi. Later he came to the capital from his desire for music. After the Liberation War, he became a radio-listed artist of Rabindra Sangeet, Nazrul Sangeet, modern songs, folk songs and patriotic songs.

Andrew Kishor’s playback journey started in 1977 with the song ‘Achinpurer Rajkumari Nei Je Tar Keu’ from the movie ‘Mail Train’ directed by Alam Khan. However, the song ‘Ek Chor Jai Chale’ from the film ‘Pratigya’ directed by AJ Mintu in 1979, was first heard by the audience and the song became popular. After that, he didn’t need to look behind. Gradually, Andrew became the ‘Playback Emperor’ of Bangla movies.

His popular songs are – ‘Jiboner Golpo Ache Baki Olpo’, ‘Haire Manush Rangin Fanush’, ‘Daak Diyachen Doyal Amare’, ‘Amar Sara Deho Kheyo Go Mati’, ‘Amar Buker Moddhe Khane’, ‘Amar Babar Mukhe Prothom Jedin Shunechilam Gaan’, ‘Vengeche Pinjar Meleche Dana’, etc. are notable. 

In his music career, Andrew Kishore has won eight National Film Awards, five Bangladesh Film Journalists Association Awards, Meril Prothom Alo Award and many other awards at home and abroad. He is survived by two children and wife. The name of the first child is Sangga and the name of the second child is Saptak.

The singer was taken to Singapore on September 9 last year for better treatment due to various complications in his body. After various tests, he was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, a blood cancer on September 18. His treatment then began under Lim Sun Thai, a physician at the Singapore General Hospital. He returned to the country on June 11 after a long nine-month treatment there. After staying at his Mirpur resident for a few days, he went to his village home in Rajshahi to spend some time alone.

Andrew Kishor’s physical condition has been deteriorating since Sunday. His wife Lipika Andrew urged all to pray for his recovery. He had been undergoing treatment at a clinic owned by his sister Shikha Biswas in his hometown Rajshahi. When his physical condition deteriorated a little on Monday afternoon, he was given oxygen support. He then breathed his last at 6:55 pm.