Amazing Benefits Of Watermelon
Published: 02:38 PM, 25 April 2018
Watermelon is a delicious and refreshing fruit that`s also good for you. The healthy or beneficial effects of watermelon are mainly derived from its unique nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and organic compounds. These include significant amounts of vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, fibre, protein, and a large amount of potassium.
Furthermore, they contain vitamin A, vitamin B6, niacin, thiamin, and a wide variety of carotenoids and phytonutrients, including lycopene!
All the above components of watermelons contribute to their major impact on health; let’s explore some more details of those benefits below.
Helps You Hydrate
Drinking water is an important way to keep your body hydrated. However, eating foods that have a high water content can also help. Interestingly, watermelon is 92% water.
A high water content is one of the reasons that fruits and vegetables help you feel full. The combination of water and fibre means you`re eating a good volume of food without a lot of calories.
Treats Kidney Disorders
Watermelons contain a lot of potassium, which is very helpful in cleaning out the toxic depositions in the kidney. Moreover, they are helpful in reducing the concentration of uric acid in the blood, thereby reducing the chances of kidney damage and the formation of renal calculi. In addition to this, being high in water content, watermelons induce urination, which is again helpful for cleaning the kidneys. Also, the antioxidants present in watermelon ensure good health of the kidneys for a long time and reduce signs of premature ageing like wrinkles and age spots on the skin.
Regulates Blood Pressure
The amount of potassium and magnesium present in watermelons is very beneficial in terms of lowering blood pressure. Potassium is considered a vasodilator, meaning that it releases the tension on blood vessels and arteries, thereby stimulating blood flow and reducing the stress on the cardiovascular system. The carotenoids present in these fruits also prevent hardening of artery walls and veins, thereby helping reduce blood pressure and the chances of blood clots, strokes, heart attacks, and atherosclerosis.
Watermelons have gained a lot of attention in recent years, primarily because of their impressive level of lycopene, a carotenoid phytonutrient compound that is increasingly being linked to cancer prevention. Lycopene has been shown to significantly reduce the risks of prostate, breast, colon, lung, and endometrial cancer. All in all, between the antioxidant potential of vitamin C and the impact of lycopene, watermelon is a great anti-cancer fruit.
Diabetics, who are supposed to have a low energy and low sugar diet, often complain about starving since they don’t get to eat their staple diets, which gives them the feeling of being half-fed. Watermelons can be a good supplement for them. In spite of being sweet in taste, a thick wedge will give them very few calories, since ninety-nine percent of its total weight is composed of water and roughage. Moreover, the vitamins and minerals such as potassium and magnesium help in proper functioning of insulin in the body, thus lowering the blood sugar level. Arginine, another component found in watermelons, is very effective at enhancing the impact of insulin on blood sugar. Diabetics can also have curries, steaks, and salads made from watermelon rinds, which are even lower in sugar.
Lycopene, a carotenoid found in abundance in watermelon, improves cardiac functions. Beta-carotene, known for its great antioxidant and anti-ageing properties, keeps you young at heart and prevents age-related cardiac problems. The roughage in watermelon, along with vitamin C, carotenoids, and potassium (potassium cuts the risk of a heart attack), helps reduce cholesterol and keep your heart safe from many dangerous conditions.
Prevents Macular Degeneration
Don’t worry about eye health and macular degeneration if you eat plenty of watermelons. Thanks to the beta-carotene, vitamin C, lutein, and zeaxanthin, your eyes are well protected. They ensure the protection of your eyes from age-related blindness and degeneration and prevent your eyes from ailments such as drying up of eyes and optic nerves, as well as glaucoma.
Arginine, present in watermelon, is beneficial in curing erectile dysfunction, and the stimulating nature of the chemical can boost the libido, reduce frigidity, and give your love life a fresh start after you enjoy a few slices of watermelon together!
Good for Skin and Hair
Two vitamins in watermelon, A and C, are important for skin and hair health. Vitamin C helps your body make collagen, a protein that keeps your skin supple and your hair strong.
Vitamin A is also important for healthy skin since it helps create and repair skin cells. Without enough vitamin A, your skin can look dry and flaky. Both lycopene and beta-carotene may also help protect your skin from sunburn.
Help Improve Digestion
Watermelon contains lots of water and a small amount of fibre, both of which are important for healthy digestion. Fibre can provide bulk for your stool, while water helps keep your digestive tract moving efficiently.
Eating water-rich and fibre-rich fruits and vegetables, including watermelon, can be very helpful for promoting normal bowel movements.
Watermelon seeds are rich in beneficial fats and proteins. Watermelons contain phytonutrients which have very good effects on the health and proper functioning of internal organs, eyes, and the secretion system.
- UNO appears with foods after tokai’s phone
- Hanging body recovered of a boy in Habiganj
- Maleque for action against shut clinics
- Comedian Eddie Large dies after contracting COVID-19
- Bangladesh will be Asia’s highest economic growth nation: ADB
- Adequate foodstuffs reserved in the country: Quader
- Alamgir’s 70th birthday today
- Rakib’s horrific deposition of killing wife-children like Hindi drama
- Cricketer Salma distributes food of whole week to 60 families
- Woman gives birth newborn in ‘autorickshaw’
- Little Messi’s amazing video
- Magura patient dies in isolation
- US nurses protest over corona protective scarcity
- BCB announces monetary support for employees
- DMP spraying germicide to curb coronavirus
- 1 killed as truck overturned into ditch
- China to ban eating cats and dogs
- Corona test begins in Barishal tomorrow
- Coronavirus could be under control by late April
- Coronavirus: 150 bodies recovered from streets in Ecuador
- Five new signs of coronavirus infection found!
- Rain likely at many places
- No new death from coronavirus: Health Minister
- 5 more test positive for coronavirus, raising total to 61
- Over 1 million people infected with coronavirus
- National Film Day today
- Ireland works on preparing graves in advance
- US Captain who raised alarm over coronavirus removed
- Body found in roadside ditch in Noakhali
- Coronavirus claims 950 lives in Spain 24 hrs
- All News »
- Coronavirus hospital to be built in Dhaka like China
- School holiday draws to Eid
- Actor Kazi Maruf, his wife infected with coronavirus
- 54 buildings of Mohammadpur under police surveillance
- British PM Boris Johnson infected with coronavirus
- British health secy Hancock test coronavirus positive
- Lawsuit filed against China for coronavirus outbreak
- Alibaba donates Bangladesh 30,000 Covid-19 testing kits
- US actor dies from coronavirus
- BD made ‘Spondon’ to save the life of critical patients
- AC land Sayma Hasan withdrawn
- Coronavirus measures could cause global food shortage, UN warns
- German minister commits suicide over ‘corona crisis worries’
- 15 of 48 corona patient recovered in Bangladesh; No new case
- Corona death mounts to 33,976, infected over .72m
- Cat found infected with coronavirus in Belgium
- Dogs will detect Covid-19!
- First royal dies of coronavirus
- Lessons for secondary level students begins on Sangsad TV
- Malaysia’s King and Queen in quarantine
- Padma Bridge’s last pillar work completed
- Corona death surpasses 24000 (update list)
- 101 yrs old Italian leaves hospital after healing from covid-19
- DSCC to provide one-month meal for 50,000 homeless
- England plans to return field by early May
- 2 more coronavirus cases detected, raising total to 51
- N Korea fires missiles amid coronavirus outbreak
- Thai King self-isolates with harem of 20 women!
- 5 killed, 11 injured as truck falls into ditch in Tangail
- Corona death toll crosses 40,000; infected over .8 million