All tourist spots in Cox’s Bazar shut down
Published: 10:38 PM, 1 April 2021 Updated: 10:29 AM, 2 April 2021
Cox’s Bazar beach; File Photo
The district administration has announced to shut down all the tourist centers in Cox’s Bazar including hotels and motels till April 14 due to the rise in Covid-19 infection.
Cox’s Bazar Deputy Commissioner (DC) Md. Mamunur Rashid confirmed the information at 9:00 pm on Thursday
He said a directive from the tourism ministry reached the district administration on Thursday evening as the rate of COVID infection in the country had risen alarmingly. It has instructed to shut all the tourist centers in Cox’s Bazar including hotels and motels till April 14.
The DC further said that the concerned people of the administration including the tourist police have been immediately instructed to take action as per the instructions of the government. “It has also been asked to take legal action against those who disobey the instructions.”
Meanwhile, Cox’s Bazar Zone Additional Superintendent of Police Mohammad Mohiuddin Ahmed said tourism-related businesses have been closed on Cox’s Bazar beach since Thursday evening following instructions from the district administration.
He said the tourist police started taking immediate action after receiving instructions from the ministry in the evening. Since then, tourists have not been allowed to enter the beach. Besides, all kinds of tourism-related businesses including beach recreation umbrellas, beach-bikes and jetskis have also been shut down earlier.
Besides, the patrol of the tourist police has also been intensified to monitor the tourist centers including the beaches, said Mohammad Mohiuddin Ahmed.
Earlier, the administration had announced the shut down of all tourist attractions in Cox’s Bazar from March 18 last year due to the Covid-19 epidemic. Subsequently, the ban was lifted on August 17 last year on the condition of following various guidelines, including health regulations.