All set to hold Rangpur City poll Thursday
Published: 12:23 PM, 21 December 2017 Updated: 09:41 PM, 3 January 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Election to Rangpur City Corporation (RpCC) will be held tomorrow amid tight security and festivity as the authorities concerned have already completed all necessary preparations.
A total of seven are going to contest for the mayoral posts in the election of the city corporation.
But voters are expecting a triangular contest for the mayoral post among Awami League (AL)-nominated candidate Sarfuddin Ahmed Jhantu (boat), Jatiya Party-nominated Mostafizur Rahman Mostafa (plough) and BNP-nominated candidate Kawser Zaman Babla (sheaf of paddy).
The four other mayor candidates are Selim Akhter of National Peoples Party (mango), ATM Golam Mostafa of Islami Shasontantra Andolan Bangladesh (hand fan), Abdul Kuddus of BSD (ladder) and independent Hossain Mokbul Shahriar (elephant).
Earlier, the competing 283 candidates, including seven for mayoral post, 211 candidates for 33 general councilor posts and 65 candidates for 11 reserved female councilor posts ended their hectic last moment electioneering yesterday night.
Meanwhile, Police Super Mizanur Rahman at a press briefing here today informed journalists that four-tier security measures have been taken for peacefully holding of RpCC polls.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) for Rangpur Range Khondker Golam Faruk distributed election stuff including transparent ballot boxes and ballot papers among people concerned at Police Community Hall here today morning.
At the event, he gave necessary directions to election officials and members of security forces for properly holding the polls.
Returning Officer Subhash Chandra Sarkar and high officials were present on the occasion.
Talking to BSS, the Subash said all 193 presiding officers, 1,122 assistant presiding officers and 2,244 polling officers with transparent ballot boxes, ballot papers, inputs and security forces already reached all 193 polling centres in RpCC area by 3pm today.
Polling will begin from 8am tomorrow in all 1,122 polling booths of 193 polling centres under all 33 wards in RpCC area and continue till 4pm uninterruptedly. Counting of votes will start subsequently at Police Community Hall in the city. “Twenty-four security forces including 10 armed police personnel and 14 members of Ansar-VDP have been deployed at each of the 108 important polling centres while 22 security personnel at each of the other 85 normal poling centres,” Sarkar added.
Around 5,500 members of law enforcement agencies including police, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and Ansar-VDP have been deployed for holding the RpCC polls peacefully.
Thirty-three teams of police, 33 roving teams of RAB with two more teams at the base camp, 18 platoons of BGB divided in 36 roving teams with three platoons at the base camp have been put on duty as striking and standby forces.
Thirty-three executive magistrates will lead 33 mobile courts and 11 Senior Judicial Magistrates lead 11 summery courts to conduct summery trials for violation of election rules. In addition, plainclothes security personnel of RAB, police and intelligence will remain on duty to ensure maximum degree of security for holding RpCC polls peacefully.
“We are using electronic voting machines (EVM) for 2,059 voters at six booths of Begum Rokeya Government College polling centre on experimental basis,” the he said adding that closed circuit cameras have been set up in three more polling centres.
Assistant Returning Officer Kamrul Islam said a total of 393,994 voters including 196,356 males and 197,638 females would apply their voting rights.
Divisional Commissioner Kazi Hasan Ahmed, the DIG, returning officer and other officials are monitoring the overall situation and providing necessary directions to the officials for peaceful holding of the RpCC polls in a free, fair and transparent manner.
- Swastika Mukherjee in Bangladeshi movie
- BCB meets with Domingo-Shakib
- Scarlett Johansson: World`s most expensive actress
- JaPa to start nomination paper sale Sunday
- Teenage gang: A name of terror
- Woman kills sleeping husband
- Ten symptoms of uterus cancer
- Mosharraf Karim in Kolkata film!
- Saif hits ton but Bangladesh HP lost ODI series to SL
- Rahul Gandhi denied entry to Kashmir, sent back from airport
- Man in 3 different govt jobs at same time!
- People pay final tributes to Muzaffar Ahmed
- UAE woman seeks divorce for loving her too much!
- 3 including mother-son killed in Faridpur road crash
- 8 kills as bus falls into ditch breaking bridge railing
- Road fill with holes!
- Sylhet Sixers’ payment dispute with BCB solved
- 185 killed in 135 road crash during Eid holidays
- Modi to receive ‘Order of Zayed’
- Sri Lanka 244 all out in 1st innings
- Pori Moni spreads warmth in dawn’s avatar
- Magura police explained ban on shaggy style haircutting
- SAFF U-15 Championship: Bangladesh take on SL
- 4 Bangladeshis killed in Medina road crash
- Two RAB ASPs promoted as Addl SP
- Dengue claims minor child in M’singh
- Baby alive though trains passed over!
- Bus falls into ditch breaking bridge railing, kills 6
- Mim offers night call over phone
- Why is part of the Amazon burning?
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Razia Sultana: First lady ruler in India
- PEC exam schedule published
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- A new milestone for Purnima
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- Govt to recruit 61 thousand primary teacher
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Hardware security keys for Two-Factor Authentication!