All set to hold Rangpur City poll Thursday
Published: 12:23 PM, 21 December 2017 Updated: 09:41 PM, 3 January 2018
Election to Rangpur City Corporation (RpCC) will be held tomorrow amid tight security and festivity as the authorities concerned have already completed all necessary preparations.
A total of seven are going to contest for the mayoral posts in the election of the city corporation.
But voters are expecting a triangular contest for the mayoral post among Awami League (AL)-nominated candidate Sarfuddin Ahmed Jhantu (boat), Jatiya Party-nominated Mostafizur Rahman Mostafa (plough) and BNP-nominated candidate Kawser Zaman Babla (sheaf of paddy).
The four other mayor candidates are Selim Akhter of National Peoples Party (mango), ATM Golam Mostafa of Islami Shasontantra Andolan Bangladesh (hand fan), Abdul Kuddus of BSD (ladder) and independent Hossain Mokbul Shahriar (elephant).
Earlier, the competing 283 candidates, including seven for mayoral post, 211 candidates for 33 general councilor posts and 65 candidates for 11 reserved female councilor posts ended their hectic last moment electioneering yesterday night.
Meanwhile, Police Super Mizanur Rahman at a press briefing here today informed journalists that four-tier security measures have been taken for peacefully holding of RpCC polls.
Deputy Inspector General (DIG) for Rangpur Range Khondker Golam Faruk distributed election stuff including transparent ballot boxes and ballot papers among people concerned at Police Community Hall here today morning.
At the event, he gave necessary directions to election officials and members of security forces for properly holding the polls.
Returning Officer Subhash Chandra Sarkar and high officials were present on the occasion.
Talking to BSS, the Subash said all 193 presiding officers, 1,122 assistant presiding officers and 2,244 polling officers with transparent ballot boxes, ballot papers, inputs and security forces already reached all 193 polling centres in RpCC area by 3pm today.
Polling will begin from 8am tomorrow in all 1,122 polling booths of 193 polling centres under all 33 wards in RpCC area and continue till 4pm uninterruptedly. Counting of votes will start subsequently at Police Community Hall in the city. “Twenty-four security forces including 10 armed police personnel and 14 members of Ansar-VDP have been deployed at each of the 108 important polling centres while 22 security personnel at each of the other 85 normal poling centres,” Sarkar added.
Around 5,500 members of law enforcement agencies including police, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), Border Guard Bangladesh (BGB) and Ansar-VDP have been deployed for holding the RpCC polls peacefully.
Thirty-three teams of police, 33 roving teams of RAB with two more teams at the base camp, 18 platoons of BGB divided in 36 roving teams with three platoons at the base camp have been put on duty as striking and standby forces.
Thirty-three executive magistrates will lead 33 mobile courts and 11 Senior Judicial Magistrates lead 11 summery courts to conduct summery trials for violation of election rules. In addition, plainclothes security personnel of RAB, police and intelligence will remain on duty to ensure maximum degree of security for holding RpCC polls peacefully.
“We are using electronic voting machines (EVM) for 2,059 voters at six booths of Begum Rokeya Government College polling centre on experimental basis,” the he said adding that closed circuit cameras have been set up in three more polling centres.
Assistant Returning Officer Kamrul Islam said a total of 393,994 voters including 196,356 males and 197,638 females would apply their voting rights.
Divisional Commissioner Kazi Hasan Ahmed, the DIG, returning officer and other officials are monitoring the overall situation and providing necessary directions to the officials for peaceful holding of the RpCC polls in a free, fair and transparent manner.
- Myanmar army kills 2 Rohingya pregnant women
- Humayun urges ThaiBev to jointly invest in Bangladesh
- Myanmar must abide by ICJ orders: Hasan
- Coronavirus can kill 65mn people!
- Valencia beat Setien`s Barcelona 2-0
- Atiqul to announce election manifesto tomorrow
- 1st Bangladeshi woman in US mainstream politics
- Stokes apologized but punished
- ‘Infrastructural developed schools are not good schools’
- PM for worthy citizens through sports
- Recruitment at Epyllion Group
- What thinks Domingo for losing series!
- Youths rich in tech knowledge are the future leader: Palak
- JMB men arrested in Khulna on 10-day remand
- Disabled child died after fallen from the roof
- Death toll climbs 22 in Turkish earthquake
- Rapists cheer on Facebook Live after rape in Gazipur
- Xi says China faces `grave situation` as virus toll hits 41
- Horse race held in Mithapukur
- Delta Airlines fined for dropping Muslim paxs
- Gambia Justice Minister praised Bangladesh
- 2 bakers fined TK 6 lakh Jhalokati
- Defendant mobbed over threatening plaintiff
- Election manifesto to be given highest priority
- Housewife killed over dowry dispute, 3 arrested
- Pakistan threats India over World Cup!
- Ranveer Singh denies sexism!
- 5 detained with 102 ltr liquor
- Bangladesh Embassy in China launches ‘hotline’ service
- No bricks in public works
- All News »
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 5,000 students get scholarship of Jahangir Alam Foundation
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- High levels of Uranium found in Cox’s Bazar
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Record: Trump tweets, retweets 125 times in a day
- Coronavirus: 11 under observation in India, Bangladesh on alert
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- E-passport to be launched today
- Court orders to publish ads asking SK Sinha, 10 others to appear
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Harry, Meghan to give up royal titles
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack