Al-Baghdadi ‘died like a dog and coward’
Published: 10:55 AM, 28 October 2019 Updated: 03:57 PM, 28 October 2019
US President Trump confirmed the death of the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL or ISIS) leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi at a press conference in the White House on Sunday.
The ISIS leader Baghdadi died "like a dog" and like a coward", said Trump, adding, "Last night the United States brought the world's number one terrorist leader to justice."
The US President said the leader of the ISIS died after running into a dead-end tunnel in the village of Barisha in Syria's northwest Idlib province and ignited an explosive vest during the raid, killing himself along with three of his children.
"He was a sick and depraved man, and now he's gone," Trump said. "He died like a dog, he died like a coward."
In a national address, the US president described a daring nighttime airborne raid by American special operations forces during which a large number of his companions were killed.
Al-Baghdadi's 11 other children were "uninjured", Trump said, and were left under the care of an unnamed third party.
Speaking from the White House's Diplomatic Room, the president said that al-Baghdadi spent his last moments in utter fear and claims that he was "whimpering" and died as "a coward, running and crying".
According to him, the US received immediate and positive identification on the body after an on site DNA test, and that the world is now a much safer place.
"His body was mutilated by the blast. The tunnel had caved in on it in addition. But test results gave certain immediate and totally positive identification. It was him," Trump told reporters.
"The thug who tried so hard to intimidate others spent his last moments in utter fear, in total panic and dread, terrified of the American forces bearing down on him," he said providing graphic details of al-Baghdadi's final moments.
Trump said he watched the operation from the White House Situation room as it played out live "as though you were watching a movie."
No US troops were injured in the operation, the US president said, adding that sensitive information was taken from the compound by US Special Forces.
Trump also warned that al-Baghdadi's successors are now in US "sights".
- School that resembles the symbol of victory
- Barishal Triple Murder: Expatriate’s wife held
- Youths succeed where representatives failed
- Sohug’s fuel production from polythene, plastics waste
- UNO’s ‘calling bell’ service for elderly, disabled
- Delhi factory fire: Owner, manager detain
- 2 SSC examinees killed in Jamalpur road crash
- Rule seeks to demolish illegal structures in Cox’s Bazar beach
- 8 Afghan soldiers killed in suicide car bombing
- Polio returns to haunt Malaysia after 27 yrs
- DU’s 52nd convocation begins
- Dry weather with partly cloudy sky
- Suma, Sohel, Eti, Roman win gold in archery
- Sanna Marin, world’s youngest-serving PM
- E-passport this month
- DUCSU’s first book fair Tuesday
- Miss South Africa crowns Miss Universe 2019
- Begum Rokeya Day today
- Helper killed after being hit by covered van
- Pedestrian killed in Bogura road crash
- Tourists stranded as storms batter New Zealand
- International Anti-Corruption Day today
- ‘100 people near New Zealand volcano when it erupted’
- Salman pays tributes to Bangabandhu
- 16 killed in Uganda landslides
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Motorcycle-auto collision kills 2 in M’singh
- Holy Fateha-e-Yazdaham today
- SpaceX delivers `mighty mice,` worms, robot to space station
- BBPL inaugurated with huge enthusiasm and fanfare
- All News »
- ‘Bangla’ recognized as 2nd official language in London
- Salman-Katrina arrive Dhaka
- Srijit-Mithila’s wedding today
- Three TV channels to broadcast BPL opening ceremony live
- Tahsan marry to Shaon!
- VP Nur’s phone talks leaked
- Mithila’s name changed after wedding
- Salman-Katrina to inebriate BPL stage
- Mithila tie knot with Srijit
- Messi bags Ballon d’Or for record sixth time
- BD scientist photo likely in UK currency soon
- Rumpa’s ‘boyfriend’ Saikat on 4-day remand
- ‘Hotath Bristi’ actress June Malia gets married
- Trump calls Canada`s Trudeau `two-faced`
- COP25 island nation in `fight to death`
- ‘Daughter in admissions scandal’ Olivia returns to YouTube
- Former England captain Bob Willis dies
- Mithila-Srijit’s honeymoon to Switzerland
- 3 of same family incl couple killed in Tangail road crash
- Shakib elected Player of the Year even after ban
- Romantic song featuring Siam-Pori Moni’s chemistry!
- Biman ex-director and DGM detained
- Ali Dacoit killed in Islampur gunfight
- Remittance inflow increases by 31.75pc in November
- US House passed sanctions on China over Uighur issue
- 24 killed as bus plunges off cliff in Tunisia
- Nepal`s mass animal slaughter begins despite outcry
- 629 Pakistani girls sold to China
- WASA’s water pure such claim untrue: Expert Committee
- TikTok sued in US over alleged China data transfer