Airbus’ new concept: ‘Bird of prey’ plane
Published: 08:37 PM, 23 July 2019
Airbus, the European manufacturer has developed and unveiled a new concept of aircraft inspired by the natural features of eagles, hawks and other aerial predators.
The "Bird of Prey" concept was unveiled by Liam Fox, UK Secretary of State for International Trade, at the Royal International Air Tattoo air show on Friday.
Fox tweeted his support for the project alongside a video of the "Bird of Prey," which has a set of feathers on the tail and each wingtip.
The theoretical design is for a hybrid-electric, turbo-propeller aircraft, according to a statement on the Airbus website.
"Inspired by efficient mechanics of a bird, it has wing and tail structures that mimic those of a bird of prey, while featuring individually controlled feathers that provide active flight control," the statement reads.
The aircraft would be capable of carrying up to 80 passengers and would burn 30%-50% less fuel than comparable aircraft in operation today.
While the aircraft won't be built, the aim of the project is to motivate the next generation of aeronautical engineers, according to Martin Aston, a senior manager at Airbus.
"Our 'Bird of Prey' is designed to be an inspiration to young people and create a 'wow' factor that will help them consider an exciting career in the crucially-important aerospace sector," Aston said in the statement.
Aston hopes the project will help to make aviation more sustainable, with cleaner, greener, and quieter planes by taking design cues from nature.
"We know from our work on the A350 XWB passenger jet that through biomimicry, nature has some of the best lessons we can learn about design. Who can't help but be inspired by such a creation?" he said.
Airbus has also been involved in developing new aircraft seat designs.
In February, British design company LAYER unveiled a prototype seat, designed for use in Airbus economy cabins on short to medium-haul flights, which promises fliers a more comfortable journey.
Dubbed "Move," this concept seat is made of a fancy fiber that's connected to built-in smart sensors -- allowing passengers to manually control seat temperature, tension, pressure and movement, all via an app on their phone.
And in April, Airbus premiered its "Settee Corner" business class chair, which offers couch-style airplane seating, alongside all the usual business-class features.
- US to send troops, equipment to Saudi Arabia
- BSMRSTU closed over student unrest
- Heat wave may abate from some places
- Zuckerberg nixes Trump’s idea of breaking up Facebook
- Madrasa student goes missing at tourist spot
- Ranu had several lovers, director leaked
- PM reaches Abu Dhabi
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test begins
- 448 settlers stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque last week
- Tigers face Afghans this evening
- 113 UK MPs criticized Israeli apartheid policy
- Bus hits standing truck, kills 4 including SI
- Youth killed in Lakshmipur gunfight
- Ben Ali: The autocrat’s anomie lit-up Arab Spring
- Singer Aaron Carter raped by older sister
- Nusrat-Mimi dance for Durga Puja theme song
- Google to invest 3 bin euros in Europe
- Bangladesh pays hotel fare for Zim team
- Modi highly ambitious over India-US ties amid UNGA visit
- Polio outbreak in Philippines
- 24 Rohingyas detained in Ctg
- Operations will be conducted in Chattogram too: Minister
- BIMOX 2nd edition expo-2019 begins
- ICMAB holds talks on sustainability, global reporting initiatives
- Masakadza wins Zimbabwe in outing match
- 9 m babies born in unrest part of world last yr
- RAB surrounds 3 more clubs in city
- GK Shamim is none of Jubo League: Omar Farooq
- U-23 India series: Bangladesh lost to host by 34 runs
- PM leaves for NY to join UNGA
- All News »
- PM to receive two more int’l awards
- Codex Gigas: The Devil’s Bible
- RAB’s drive: Jubo League leader GK Shamim detains
- 142 held over police raid in capital`s Young Men’s club casino
- Fire breaks out at Shwapno Super Shop in Banani
- RAB sealed `Golden Dhaka Bangladesh` casino
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- Juba League leader Khaled arrested
- White House: A monstrous residence
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test today
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS
- Movile Cave: Mysterious dark-ranch of 5.5 m yrs old insects
- Ex-Miss World Manushi Chhillar to crown Miss World Bangladesh
- Pygmy: The forest lovers
- 4 Pak troops killed in Afghan border
- BD youth died in Malaysia, body can’t bring as address not found
- Afif leads Tigers to winning start in Tri-series T20
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Young Tigers thrash India, target 107
- Salman Shah’s weeklong birthday celebration
- Robert Mugabe: Liberator to brutal tyrant
- DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test Friday
- Mysterious dragon of Boga Lake
- 7 Chinese warship patrolling Indian Ocean
- ‘Chapati Tuhin’ killed in Narayanganj gunfight
- Lukla: World`s most dangerous airport
- Nargis Fakhri coming to Dhaka
- Srabanti in Gym, then what happen?
- Rain-floods claimed 5 lives in Spain