After ‘Amphan’, there will be ‘Cyclone Nisharga’
Published: 12:30 PM, 20 May 2020
The country is facing one after another disaster midst of coronavirus pandemic. ‘Cyclone Amphan’ is approaching which is the 64th cyclone in the Bay of Bengal and the coastal region of the Arabian Sea, according to the World Meteorological Organization (WMO). In the meantime, the organization already named the next cyclone as ‘Cyclone Nisharga’.
Earlier, the WMO had asked the regional meteorological agency RSMC for a list of names for the 65th cyclone. 13 countries including Bangladesh are members of RSMC in this region. All the countries have given 13 names. The name given by Bangladesh has been selected from this long list.
‘Amphan’ was named by Thailand in 2004 – the word means ‘sky’. But now it is a name of terror for the coastal people. This is the last on the list of storms made a few years ago. The previous one was called ‘Cyclone Fani’ – was given by Bangladesh, which means ‘snake’.
How are these cyclones named? What will be the names after ‘Amphan’? – They are named after regionally specialized meteorological stations and tropical cyclone warning centers.
The countries listed by the WMO or Pacific Ocean or WMO ESCAP suggest different storm names. The list includes India, Bangladesh, Myanmar, Pakistan, Maldives, Oman, Sri Lanka and Thailand. The countries named the cyclone that originated in this region.
In 2018, five more countries – Iran, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Yemen – have been added to the list. The new list, released in April, has 169 cyclone names. Here are 13 proposed names from 13 countries on the list.
According to the Press Information Bureau, after ‘Cyclone Amphan’ – there will be ‘Nisharga’ (proposed by Bangladesh), ‘Gati’ (proposed by India), ‘Nivar’ (proposed by Iran), ‘Burevi’ (proposed by Maldives), ‘Toukatai’ (proposed by Myanmar) and ‘Yas’ (proposed by Oman).
- Three asst police commissioners transferred
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Laborer killed by overturning crane in Cumilla
- Hygiene not followed at bus terminals
- Abrar murder: Jion’s bail plea rejected
- Trade thru Bhomra land port resumes
- Gazipur reports 93 new infected cases
- BNP in isolation of negative politics: Quader
- ADB expands trade finance to support Bangladesh private sector
- Mymensingh reports 81 new COVID-19 cases
- Challengers always stand by people in COVID-19 crisis: COO Yasir
- Inadequate launch risks health service to breakdown
- Father-son electrocuted in Rangpur
- Two die with COVID-19 symptoms at KMCH
- Highest COVID-19 tests in 24hrs, record new infected
- Actress Mohena with in-law members COVID-19 infected
- Coronavirus death toll tops 30,000 in Brazil
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- 349 Ansar members infected with COVID-19
- Shakib Khan’s ‘Rangbaaz’ movie producer Mozammel dies
- Keep your mouth shut: Police Chief advises Trump
- Biman cancels flights for passenger crisis
- Stolen Tk60 lakh of National Bank recovered
- ‘Ultimate repercussion’ if US hurt China’s interests
- BNP office fluxed of banner-festoon; neither activity, no activist
- Smith not to play in Aus ‘due to IPL’ if necessary
- Child among 4 another contracted COVID-19 in Nandail
- Light rain likely at many places
- Schoolgirl committed suicide for unable to see Star Jalsha serial
- Raw turmeric to boost immunity
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Offices resume from May 31
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Mahathir expelled from party
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Coronavirus case in country crosses 40,000