Afghanistan mosque bombing kills 62
Published: 11:21 PM, 18 October 2019 Updated: 11:22 PM, 18 October 2019
At least 62 people were killed by a blast inside an Afghan mosque during Friday prayers, according to officials, a day after the United Nations said violence in the country had reached "unacceptable" levels.
The attack -- the year's second most deadly to date -- took place in the eastern province of Nangarhar and also wounded at least 33 people, the provincial governor's spokesman Attaullah Khogyani told AFP.
The blast was carried out with "explosives that were placed inside the mosque", Khogyani said, though other sources -- including the Taliban -- said the building may have been hit by a mortar.
A spokesman for the Islamist extremist Taliban said the group has "condemned this atrocity in the strongest terms" and labelled it a "major crime".
The Islamic State group has also been active in Nangarhar.
Witnesses said the roof of the mosque had fallen through after a "loud" explosion, the nature of which was not immediately clear.
About 350 worshippers were inside at the time, local resident Omar Ghorzang told AFP.
"Dozens of people were killed and wounded and were taken in several ambulances," Haji Amanat Khan, a 65-year-old local resident, told AFP.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres, through a spokesman, said children were among the injured.
"Those responsible for this attack must be held accountable," the spokesman said.
The blast came after the United Nations released a new report on Thursday saying an "unprecedented" number of civilians were killed or wounded in Afghanistan from July to September.
The report, which also charts violence throughout 2019 so far, underscores how "Afghans have been exposed to extreme levels of violence for many years" despite promises by all sides to "prevent and mitigate harm to civilians".
It also noted the absurdity of the ever-increasing price paid by civilians given the widespread belief that the war in Afghanistan cannot be won by either side.
"Civilian casualties are totally unacceptable," the UN's special representative in Afghanistan, Tadamichi Yamamoto said, adding they demonstrate the importance of talks leading to a ceasefire and a permanent political settlement.
The figures -- 1,174 deaths and 3,139 injured from July 1 until September 30 -- represent a 42 percent increase compared to the same period last year.
The UN laid most of the blame for the spike at the feet of "anti-government elements" such as the Taliban, who have been carrying out an insurgency in Afghanistan for more than 18 years.
July alone saw more casualties than in any other month on record since the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) began documenting the violence in 2009.
The first six months of 2019 had seen casualties drop slightly compared to previous years.
But the violence has surged so far in the third quarter that it yanked the overall total for the year back on par with the bloodiest since NATO withdrew its combat forces at the end of 2014.
- Motorola flips for its futuristic foldable phone
- Suu Kyi named in Argentine lawsuit
- Incentives to produce light machinery
- Folk Fest 2019 kicks off
- ‘Iti Tomari Dhaka’ to release tomorrow
- Headmaster suspended for student’s injury
- ICC to probe into Rohingya genocide
- Nepal emerge champions with all-win record
- NASA`s rover to hunt for microscopic fossils on Mars
- Banana twisted with mosquito coils, storehouse sealed
- Wives trafficking!
- HC irked over failure to crack Sagar-Runi murder case
- Huawei mobile services strengthen footprint in APAC market
- Ramiz Uddin’s Diya-Rajib killing case verdict Dec 10
- BGB seizes 52,000 yabas in Cox’s Bazar
- 24 holidays for Bank in 2020
- 3 killed in Gazipur road crash
- ‘I was ready to kill Suarez’
- Tk 323 cr revenue collected in 1st day
- OC Moazzem cried defending himself
- RAB detained arms dealer in Natore
- Lawmakers for arrest onion price hike
- Each upazila to get 10 physicians soon: Fardah
- Laden was Pakistan`s hero: Pervez Musharraf
- Govt urges media to publish objective news on sensitive issues
- 6 incl Food Controller-Chairman landed in Jail
- No academic recognition despite MPO enlisted
- 1 piece onion cost Tk 45
- Kuwait govt quits
- Quran-Hadith on onion context
- All News »
- Great danger signal 10 for Mongla, Payra ports
- Dhaka Int’l Folk Fest 19 registration begins
- Humayun Ahmed’s first wife Gultekin married again
- Cyclone Bulbul: sea ports asked to hoist signal 7
- “Bulbul" likely to cross Khulna this evening
- Monday’s JSC, JDC exams postponed
- `Bulbul` crossing over Khulna coastal area
- Bulbul weakens gradually
- 345 shelter centers open at Noakhali
- Bulbul likely to cross Bangladesh Sunday morning
- Ansar deployed in Bhola amid `Bulbul` scary
- Navy Contingents with 10 warships ready to deal with ‘Bulbul’
- Ram Mandir to be built in Babri Masjid’s land: Indian SC
- Two dead, 150 homes lost in Australia bushfires
- Govt prepared to face ‘Bulbul’: Enamur
- Tomorrow’s JSC, JDC exams rescheduled
- Tureen Afroz removed from ICT
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’: 10 injured after 7 houses collapsed in Bhola
- MP Moinuddin Khan Badal passes away
- Bulbul hits Kolkata, Kills 1
- Cyclone ‘Bulbul’ left behind Bubuli in Bagerhat
- Rohingyas threat to national, regional security: PM
- Flight operations suspended at 4 airports
- Body of Badal arrives this evening
- Fatal train collision in B’baria kills 15
- Eight allegations of genocide against Myanmar
- Gambia files case against Myanmar at UN court
- 9 districts that will come under signal 10
- B’baria train collision: Death toll climbs to 16
- Tigers face India in 2nd T20I today