Abbas couple gets bail in graft case
Published: 01:45 PM, 14 January 2019 Updated: 01:45 PM, 14 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court has granted bail to Mirza Abbas and his wife Afroza Abbas for 8 weeks in the graft case.
The High Court bench of Justice Obaidul Hassan and Justice Kuddus Zaman granted bail on Monday morning in the presence of the Abbas couple.
On January 6, the Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) filed the case against BNP leader Mirza Abbas and his wife Afroza Abbas with Shahjanpur Police Station.
In the case details, it is mentioned that the Afroza Abbas is a Housewife and Mirza Abbas handed over all the money in the name of his wife.
The case details say that Afroza Abbas refers to herself as a handicrafts trader in the income tax document, but there is no legitimate source of her own income.
It is also mentioned in the ACC case that during the verification of Afroza Abbas's property statement, she has a share of Tk 8,70,00,706 crores at Dhaka Bank, a share of Tk 10 crores at Dhaka Telephone Company, FDR and investment of Tk 1.9 crore. With this money, she declared assets worth Tk 20,52,00,080 crore.
When ACC asked Afroza Abbas about this money, she said that she took a loan of Tk 1.5 crore from businessman MNH Bulu and took Tk 1,13,50,000 crore from family as a donation. However, she was unable to show any record of her claim in the case.
It also says that, before 1991, Mirza Abbas had no significant income. He earned money by being the mayor of Dhaka City Corporation and later Housing and Public Works Minister.
Later, on the basis of her husband, Afroza Abbas acquired the wealth of Tk 20,76,92,000 crore illegally. Which is a criminal offense under section 27 (1) of the Anti-Corruption Commission Act of 2004, Section 109 of the Penal Code and Section 13 of the Money Laundering Prevention Act of 2002.
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Psychologists solve mystery of songbird learning
- Mansur pays homage to Bangabandhu
- 6 new ships to join BSC fleet
- Rare yellow cardinal caught on camera
- World Meteorological Day tomorrow
- Abrar’s parents meet PM
- Death toll rises to 7 in Barishal road crash’
- 24h Anti-drug drives detained 48 in Dhaka
- 6 hijackers detained in Tongi
- 1650 dev projects progress laudable in FY18
- Death toll rise 47 in China chemical plant blast
- Lightning strikes killed 1 in Habiganj
- Edu Minister criticized teachers for ‘Coaching’
- NZ PM received death threats
- Argentina to train up Bangladeshi footballers
- ‘Shark plane’ in Bangladesh
- Orchita Sporshia in Makkah to perform Umrah
- Will take charge of Ducsu: VP Noor
- Mustafiz gets hitched
- Balaka bus hit Menon’s car
- Emilia Clarke reveals she suffered two near-fatal brain aneurysms
- Woman`s throat-slit body found in Bagerhat
- 2 powerful cyclones bear down on North Australian coast
- Commercial banana farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Surma-Dhanu rivers in hand of influential occupiers
- Unidentifind woman killed in Narsingdi road crash
- Two US soldiers killed in Afghanistan
- Journo Anwarul Haq passes away
- Five drug traders among 19 held in Dinajpur
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Hidden meaning of writing on the rifle..
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Man’s mobile phone protects him from ‘arrow attack’
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- National SME fair begins
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- NZ mosque attack leaves 27 dead, Tigers scattered
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police