Abbas couple gets bail in graft case
Published: 01:45 PM, 14 January 2019 Updated: 01:45 PM, 14 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The High Court has granted bail to Mirza Abbas and his wife Afroza Abbas for 8 weeks in the graft case.
The High Court bench of Justice Obaidul Hassan and Justice Kuddus Zaman granted bail on Monday morning in the presence of the Abbas couple.
On January 6, the Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) filed the case against BNP leader Mirza Abbas and his wife Afroza Abbas with Shahjanpur Police Station.
In the case details, it is mentioned that the Afroza Abbas is a Housewife and Mirza Abbas handed over all the money in the name of his wife.
The case details say that Afroza Abbas refers to herself as a handicrafts trader in the income tax document, but there is no legitimate source of her own income.
It is also mentioned in the ACC case that during the verification of Afroza Abbas's property statement, she has a share of Tk 8,70,00,706 crores at Dhaka Bank, a share of Tk 10 crores at Dhaka Telephone Company, FDR and investment of Tk 1.9 crore. With this money, she declared assets worth Tk 20,52,00,080 crore.
When ACC asked Afroza Abbas about this money, she said that she took a loan of Tk 1.5 crore from businessman MNH Bulu and took Tk 1,13,50,000 crore from family as a donation. However, she was unable to show any record of her claim in the case.
It also says that, before 1991, Mirza Abbas had no significant income. He earned money by being the mayor of Dhaka City Corporation and later Housing and Public Works Minister.
Later, on the basis of her husband, Afroza Abbas acquired the wealth of Tk 20,76,92,000 crore illegally. Which is a criminal offense under section 27 (1) of the Anti-Corruption Commission Act of 2004, Section 109 of the Penal Code and Section 13 of the Money Laundering Prevention Act of 2002.
- Say Alhamdulillah
- Young hacked to death for a hundred bucks
- Clean tech fair begins promoting environment friendly metals
- Balakot air strikes planner new R&AW chief now
- Gayle confirms retirement plans are on hold
- Democrats seeks $4.5bn aid for boarder migrants
- Nusrat murder case: Death threat to witnesses
- Two youth electrocuted in Bogura
- Expatriate to jail praying bail
- Trump warns any conflict with Iran `wouldn`t last long`
- President urged to protect rights of physically challenged people
- 1 kg heroin seized in Rajshahi, youth detained
- Ershad in ICU
- Surath Kumar made Chief Information Officer
- Bill before finishing project
- Pakistan restrict New Zealand to 237
- Breakfast miss! It rises risk of death: study
- Abahani making history beating India 1-0
- PM embarks on five-day China visit Monday
- Two to walk gallows for raping girl in Shariatpur
- Photos of drowned father and daughter spark global outrage
- PM fears safety disruption in Rohingya return dilatory
- Arrest warrant against 78 in DU question leak
- Rabindra University: HC bars VC, 3 other to run activities
- Bogura road crash kills schoolboy
- No resign letter received so far: Law minister
- Shaheen dismisses Latham, NZ 4 down
- Dialogs with US impossible: Iran
- SAU to observe Bangabandhu’s Birth Centenary
- Shaheen strikes again to remove Taylor
- All News »
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Soroj Mehedi
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- General Aziz - A Dedicated Golfer Army Chief
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- ‘No Dorai’: Surfing base film with Chatgaiya language
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Hajj cost in Bangladesh less than India: Minister
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 3 to die, 7 get life for Kishoreganj murder
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia
- Ayub Bachchu Chottor being built with Rupali Guitar
- Williamson ton, Grandhomme power New Zealand in thriller
- Gold, Diamond, Silver gets validation in fair
- Female UP member hacked to death in N’ganj
- Arrest warrant against Pran’s MD
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- Fire at Cumilla EPZ
- Rainfall may increase in next 72 hrs
- PM’s China visit in July; plan to boost bilateral ties
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- ‘King of Pop’ Michael’s 10th death anniv today
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today