Abahani beat April 25 SC 4-3
Published: 11:05 PM, 21 August 2019
Six-time BPL champions Dhaka Abahani Limited continued their fairytale performance in the AFC Cup beating April 25 SC (4.25) of North Korea by 4-3 goals in the first leg home match of the inter-zonal semifinal at Bangabandhu National Stadium here on Wednesday evening.
The popular Dhanmomdi-outfit and the Bangladesh champions, Abahani Limited, repeated the feat after 31 years after another Bangladesh team Dhaka Mohammedan SC beat April 25 SC by 1-0 goal in the first leg match of the Asian Club Championship in 1988-89 season.
Nigerian forward Sunday Chizoba scored twice, midfielder Sohel Rana and country’s promising forward Mohammad Nabib Newaz Ziban netted one goal each for the sky-blue outfit while defender Choe jong Hyok, forward Rim Chol Min and defender Pak Song-Rok netted one goal each for April 25 SC.
From the beginning of the match, both sides created some good chances with their attacking brand of football, but failed to manage any goal.
In the very 4th minute, a right-footed shot of forward Saad Uddin of Abahani missed the target while defender Mamun Miah also missed another close chance in the 11th minute for Abahani.
Defender Choe jong Hyok of April 25 SC came close to scoring in the 8th minute but spoiled the chance.
In the 33rd minute, Dhaka Abahani broke the deadlock as their Sohel Rana opened the account by a left-footed shot from the outside of the box, utilising a pass of Mohammad Nabib Newaz Ziban (1-0).
But within just two minutes, the touring side equalised the margin as their Choe Jong-Hyok scored the goal by a right-footed shot from outside, capitalising on a pass from his compatriot O Hyok Chol (1-1).
Dhaka Abahani put strong pressure on the visitors with their attacking brand of football.
In the 37th minute, country’s national coloured booter Nabib Newaz Ziban scored the 2nd goal for Abahani Limited, and his third of the competition, off a pass from veteran defender Waly Faisal (2-1).
After the first half, April 25 SC came alive and started their domination over the hosts.
In the 54th minute, Rim Chol Min again levelled the margin for Korean side by a left-footed shot utilising a pass of substitute forward An Il-Bom (2-2).
Hosts Abahani carried their domination and got quick success as their Nigerian forward Sun6day Chizoba netted twice in a span of only four minutes.
In the 57th minute, the Nigerian forward scored his 3rd goal in the tournament utilising a pass from defender Tutul Hosain Badsha (3-2) and fourth goal in the 61st minute, off a Kervens Belfort pass (4-2).
But, April 25 SC got a relief while Pak Song Rok scored third goal by a good header from the centre of the box, off a corner of midfielder O Hyok Cholin the 77th minute (4-3).
North Korea League champions 4.25 SC missed two chances to level the margin. Forward An Il-Bom missed the target in the 87th and 92nd minutes respectively.
Sohel Rana of Abahani was cautioned for rough charge.
Dhaka Abahani Ltd will face April 25 SC in their away match on August 28 at the Kim-ll-Sung Stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea.
The Bangladesh side just need a draw in their away match to enter in the inter-zonal playoff finals for the first time.
Earlier, Bangladesh Premier League Football champions Abahani sealed their place in the knockout phase for the first time as the champions of four-team Group E securing 13 points from 6 matches with four wins, one draw and one defeat.
On the other hand, DPR Korea League champions April 25 SC reached for the third time the knockout phase of AFC Cup as Group I champions securing 15 points from 6 matches with five wins and one defeat.
Dhaka Abahani: Shahidul Alam Sohel, Raihan Hasan, Nabib Newaz Ziban, Waly Faisal, Sunday Chizoba, Kervens Belfort/Jewel Rana (90), Sohel Rana, Tutul Hossain Badsha, Mamun Miah, Saad Uddin, Lee Taemin.
April 25 SC: Pak Jin Myong, Kwon Chung Hyok, O Hyok Chol, Om Chol Song/ An Il-Bom (45), Rim Chol Min/ Kim Yu Song (75), Son Phyong Il, An tae Song, Choe Jong Hyok, Pak Song Rok, An Song Il, Choe Chol Su.
- ‘Pak PM expressed concern over possible nuclear war with India
- Annie Silverstein’s ‘Bull’ wins top prize at Deauville
- Tigers lost to Afghans again!
- Rohingyas demand citizenship to return home
- Pak singer Robi jailed over comment ‘Narendra Modi must go to hell’
- Rule enacted for officials’ presence in PM’s state tours
- Thimmamma Marrimanu: A 550 yr old giant banyan tree
- White House: A monstrous residence
- PM to receive ‘Dr Kalam Smriti Int’l Excellence Awards ‘19’
- Hasina-Modi talks in Delhi Oct 5
- Tigers again in Afghan trouble
- Govt targets $50 bn in textile export
- Viqarunnisa gets new principal
- FM wants to keep trust in India
- Tigers lose 4 early targeting 165
- Plus-size beauty activist, Youtuber Nabela Noor in Dhaka
- Shinning days back in-house cow farm
- Injection to increase fairness!
- Airstrike kills 52 Taliban in Afghanistan
- Tips to have long-dense beard
- Saifuddin-Shakib turned 4 Afghans
- Joy-Lekhak pledge restore BCL status
- Time limit for Ins companies declared again
- Benefits of reciting Holy Qur’an
- Rituparna in Dhaka to make ‘Jam’!
- Police must try to gain trust of masses: PM
- DMP boss’ utmost importance on service for mass people
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Cumilla road crash
- HC directs hiring drivers on monthly salary basis
- Power outage at secretariat
- All News »
- Paris court finds Saudi princess guilty
- Mahi’s 33 and Tisha’s 22
- Sundarbans; a serene beauty
- `No alternative to capacity building to tackle cyber attack`
- With one suicide every 40 seconds, WHO urges action
- ADB country director praises PM’s planned development initiatives
- Germany criticizes Netanyahu’s annexation plan
- Blanche Monnier spent 25 yrs locked up just for love
- Ancient Greek: Origin of Culture and Civilization
- Kristen Stewart reacts to Robert Pattinson’s Batman casting
- Putin warned before 9/11 Twin-Tower attack
- 18 yrs of 9/11, worst terrorist attack in history
- Pakistan’s first female astronaut welcomed ISRO
- Bengal Commercial Bank launching soon
- Importance of ‘Fasting on Ashura’
- Self-made billionaire Jack Ma, who was rejected from 30 jobs
- Myths and controversies of Taj Mahal
- 5yrs without Firoza Begum
- U-19 Asia Cup final: Bangladesh vs India Saturday
- Saudi reduces Hajj-Umrah visa fee
- Gazipur hotel blast, probe committee formed
- Ancient Babylon: A city and a civilization
- ‘BNP’s many leaders are hired’
- Nan Madol: Ghost City on sea
- Man accused in 6 cases killed in M’singh gunfight
- Mishu new face in Tigers` T20 squad
- Rastafari, a religion that developed against “Whites”
- Shakib prized Afghanistan
- Bribe-taking sub-registrar to be suspended
- Shovon-Rabbani axed, Nahian-Lekhak made BCL’s acting president, GS