AL’s 70th founding anniv observed across country
Published: 09:00 PM, 23 June 2019
AL celebrated 70th founding anniversary on Sunday. Photo: PID
Bangladesh Awami League, the country's oldest political party which led the nation in the Liberation War in 1971, celebrated its 70th founding anniversary on Sunday with various programs across the country.
Founded on June 23, 1949 at the historic Rose Garden in the old part of Dhaka, the party played the lead role in all the democratic movements apart from leading the nation in the War of Liberation in 1971 under the leadership of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
Party President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina paid tributes to Bangabandhu by placing a floral wreath at the portrait of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman at Dhanmondi Road no-32 in the morning.
She stood there in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the memory of Bangabandhu, the architect of independence.
Later, Sheikh Hasina, also the President of Bangladesh Awami League, placed another wreath at Bangabandhu’s portrait as the party chief.
A delegation of AL led by presidium member of the party Muhammad Faruk Khan placed wreaths at the mausoleum of Bangabandhu at Tungipara in Gopalganj at 11 am.
The national and party flags were hoisted at Bangabandhu Bhaban and party’s central office at Bangabandhu Avenue at 8am in the city.
The party men released balloons and pigeons at 9am along with the national anthem.
After paying tributes to Bangabandhu at Dhanmondi the Prime Minister said Awami League was formed on June 23 in 1949 to bring back the independence of Bangladesh which was lost in Amrakanon on June 23, 1757 through the defeat of the last independent Nawab of Bengal.
"Under the leadership of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, this organisation (AL) was well organised in the whole of Bangladesh. He also led the party to be elected in the 1970 election and the first sun of independent Bangladesh government rose on April 10 and April 17 at the Amrakanon of Meherpur in 1971," she said.
Since its founding on June 23, 1949, the party played leading role in all democratic movements. It led the nation in the War of Liberation in 1971 under the leadership of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
“On this day, we take a pledge to build a hunger and poverty free prosperous golden Bengal as envisioned by the Father of the Nation,” she said.
Souvenirs, posters and supplements were published highlighting the activities and achievements of the party.
Along with the central committee’s program in the capital, party’s district, upazila and city units organized discussions, seminars and essay competitions and brought out colorful processions marking the day.
Marking the 70th founding anniversary, a meeting and reception to the senior leaders will be arranged at Bangabandhu International conference center on June 24 while cultural function will be held at the party central office on June 25.
In Rangpur, the 70th founding anniversary of Bangladesh Awami League (AL) was celebrated in the city through various colorful programs amid huge enthusiasm and festivity.
The district unit of AL hoisted the national and party flags atop party office and placed wreaths at Bangabandhu’s Mural on the Bangabandhu Square in the city. Besides, a colorful rally was brought out in the streets.
Later, a discussion was arranged on the Bangabandhu Square premises with Acting President of district AL Mamtaz Uddin Ahmed in the chair.
In Rajshahi, local units of Bangladesh Awami League and its associate organizations celebrated the 70th founding anniversary of the party in a befitting manner with fanfare and jubilation.
Leaders and workers of the party led by its city unit president AHM Khairuzzaman Liton placed floral wreaths at the portraits of Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and four national leaders on the party office premises marking the day.
Subsequently, they cut a 70-pound cake there amidst clapping by the party leaders and workers side by side with holding Doa mahfil seeking blessings of the almighty Allah for the departed souls of Bangabandhu and his family members and four other national leaders.
Besides, a brief discussion meeting was also held there highlighting the life and works of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
A colorful rally was brought out from the party office premises and paraded the city thoroughfares before being ended at Lalon Shah Park.
In Manikganj, the 70th founding anniversary of Bangladesh Awami League (AL) was observed in Manikganj with various programs.
On this occasion a colorful rally was brought out from the Awami League district office which paraded the main streets of the town and ended at the Bijoy Mela Math. After the rally a discussion was held at the Freedom Fighters Memorial.
Health and Family Welfare Mainister Zahid Maleque was present in the discussion as the chief guest with Advocate Golam Mohiuddin, President of Manikganj District unit of Awami league and Chairman, Manikganj Zila Parishad, in the chair.
The speakers in the discussion described the long revolutionary history of the party and the activities of the great leaders. They recalled the glorious and dynamic leadership of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. The speakers also highlighted the achievements of the present government of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
Earlier, the leaders of Awami League and its front organizations placed the wreaths at the portrait of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and hoisted the National flag.
In Khulna, local units of Bangladesh Awami League and its associate organizations celebrated the 70th founding anniversary of the party through organizing various programs. The programs included rally and discussion.
Local units of Bangladesh Awami League (AL) celebrated its 70th founding anniversary at divisional cities, district towns as well as at upazila levels coinciding with the nationwide programs.
Leaders and activists of Awami League joined the programs highlighting the glorious role of the party during different crucial periods of Bangladesh.
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- Priya Shaha sacked form BHBCUC
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- Police HQ asks units to stop child-lifting rumor
- Imran Khan vows to reform Pakistan cricket
- Flood shut over 100 edu institutes in Tangail
- Dredging on railway
- Special supervising cell for defaulters
- Hong Kong reels from armed mob violence
- BD peacekeeper electrocuted in Central African Republic
- Bangladesh to tour Pakistan
- HC summons DNCC, DSCC chief health officials
- 3 placed on 4-day remand over Badda lynching
- 2 more schools made public
- ‘Masud Rana’s shooting set to kick-off
- Habiganj Civil Surgeon dies of dengue virus
- Local AL leader shot dead in Satkhira
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Iran announces arrests, death sentences as CIA spy ring busted
- ‘CNG stations to remain open 24 hrs for 11 days in Eid’
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Minni sent to jail
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web