AL observes 70th founding anniversary
Published: 10:15 AM, 23 June 2019
Bangladesh Awami League (AL), one of the country’s oldest political parties, is celebrating its 70th founding anniversary in a befitting manner on Sunday.
Founded on this day in 1949 at the historic Rose Garden in the old part of Dhaka, Awami League has been transformed into an organisation of the masses by leading all the democratic-political-social-cultural movements including the long arduous struggle for freedom and the War of Liberation.
Awami League and its associate bodies chalked out various programmes to celebrate the day.
Party President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina paid homage to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman by placing a floral wreath at the portrait of the Father of the Nation at Dhanmondi Road no-32 in the morning.
She stood there in solemn silence for some time as a mark of profound respect to the memory of Bangabandhu, the architect of independence.
Later, Sheikh Hasina, also the President of Bangladesh Awami League, placed another wreath at Bangabandhu’s portrait as the party chief.
To mark the anniversary, national and party flags is being hoisted atop all party offices including the central office.
A delegation of Awami League Central Working Committee (ALCWC) led by Presidium member Lt Col (retd) Muhammad Faruq Khan will place wreaths at the mausoleum of Bangabandhu at Tungipara in Gopalganj at 11 am.
The delegation will include ALCWC member Abul Hasnat Abdullah, Agriculture and Cooperatives Secretary Faridunnahar Laily, Religious Affairs Secretary Sheikh Mohammad Abdullah, Labour and Manpower Affairs Secretary Habibur Rahman Siraj, and ALCWC members SM Kamal Hossain and Marufa Akhter Popi.
A discussion meeting will be held at Bangabandhu International Conference Centre (BICC) here at 4:00 pm on June 24. Awami League President and Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina will chair the discussion.
Political analysts and distinguished personalities think that the achievements of Awami League are the achievements of Bangladesh and its people.
AL Presidium Member and 14-party alliance spokesman Mohammed Nasim said Awami League is not only the oldest and biggest political party in the country but also the mainstream of democracy and secular ideologies.
He said since its inception, the party has been taking forward the country’s socio-political trend uninterruptedly through different movements and struggles over the seven decades.
Nasim said Awami League is one of the secular political parties that led the national movement for emancipation of the Bangalees.
It was Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman who had first initiated the work to build a secular Bangladesh, he said.
Historian, writer and folklorist Shamsuzzaman Khan said Awami League became an immensely popular political party by carrying out movements, struggles and protests against repression, exploitation and subjugation by West Pakistani rulers on Banglaee nation and other small ethnic groups.
The sacrifice of Awami League leaders and workers and their contributions to the nation will be ever remembered, he added.
Though the country’s biggest political party was floated as Awami Muslim League at the historical Rose Garden at KM Das Lane in Dhaka, the word ‘Muslim’ was dropped at its third council in 1955.
In a statement on Saturday, Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader, also road transport and bridges minister, called upon the party units across the country and their associate and like-minded bodies to observe the founding anniversary of the party in befitting manner.
- Moni’s fight by overcoming physical obstacles
- Maldives hires Amal Clooney to fight for Rohingya at ICJ
- Kejriwal calls for army deployment in Delhi
- 25 killed as bus carrying wedding party falls into river
- Orders to confiscate bank accounts of 20 along PK Halder upheld
- Bassbaba Sumon may get crippled for life!
- CUET students raise voice against uniform admission test system
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Joint initiative to resolve Rohingya crisis recommended
- Man, accused in 14 cases, killed in Kushtia gunfight
- Coronavirus in China gets incursive with death toll rising
- Litun Jira now wins scholarships
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- 172 students to get Prime Minister Gold Medal
- Death toll climbs to 20 in Delhi clashes
- Barcelona draw with Napoli
- ‘Coronavirus outbreak is inevitable in US’
- South Africa faces Australia today
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services suspended
- 2 motorcyclists killed in Demra road crash
- Motorcycle accident kills 2 women in Banani
- 200 yrs old silver coins recovered from abandoned house
- Delhi clash: Death toll rises to 13
- Housewife committed suicide in Pirojpur
- Average life expectancy will be 80 by 2041
- Principal among 4 held for killing madrasa girl after rape
- $3 billion defense deal signed between US and India
- Deputy Health Minister of Iran contracts coronavirus
- Pranab, Bidhya Devi to address JS special session
- Realme launches ‘Made in Bangladesh’ phone
- All News »
- 1.10 min video of Papiya leaked
- Papiya expelled from Jubo League
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Arms, alcohol recovered from Papiya’s residence
- Amar Ekushey and International Mother Language Day today
- Two doctors die of coronavirus within 24hrs
- Coronavirus death toll crosses 2000
- Hundreds of thousands of mussels dead in New Zealand heatwave
- Salman Shah commits suicide, not murdered: PBI
- Coronavirus: 2363 died, nearly 78 thousand infected
- Papiya used 12 Russian beauties as bait for VIPs
- Fly to space at TK 6 cr only!
- Father of cut-copy-paste dies
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- PM critical of speaking Bangla in English accent
- Crowd erupted at Shaheed Minar
- Tk 200 bank notes, gold and silver coins to be launched
- Sufi Mizan: A hawker for social service
- Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in UAE
- 15 new coronavirus cases in S Korea, bringing total to 46
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- President, PM pay homage to Language Heroes
- BUET avoids combined admission test
- Pilkhana carnage day today
- Zimbabwe opt to bat in Dhaka Test
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak-2020
- Man City, Man United, Inter Milan to play today
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Mid-air plane collision in Australia kills 4
- 3 children among 4 dead in ‘horrific’ Australia car fire