AL leader Siddique seriously hurt in criminal attack
Published: 10:17 PM, 5 January 2019 Updated: 10:17 PM, 5 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Former Dhaka district unit of Awami League (AL) organizing secretary Abu Siddique, 52, was seriously injured as criminals indiscriminately hacked him at Keraniganj, on the outskirts of the capital city, this afternoon.
“A gang of criminals chopped Abu Siddique soon after he reached at Modhu City at Joynagar of Taranagar in Keraniganj around 3.30pm following information of an attack on his 18-year-old son Sifat Ahmed,” a relative of Siddique, K Shohel Rana, told BSS.
The criminals earlier attacked Sifat, a second-year BBA student of a private university in Dhanmondi, but he survived as their driver Sabuj, 25, saved him (Sifat), he said, adding that the driver also suffered chop injuries on his hands and a leg was also broken in the attack.
Siddique, who was also a member of election conducting committee of Awami League for Dhaka-2 constituency, has been sent to the Lab Aid Hospital where he has gone through a surgery while his driver Sabuj is now undergoing treatment at Atibazar Central Hospital, he informed.
“The attack was aimed at killing Siddique and authorities of the Modhu City might be involved in the attack,” Rana continued.
Sabbir Ahmed, a son of the victim, lodged a case with Keraniganj Model Police Station tonight accusing 13 persons including Salimullah Selim, managing director of the Madhu City, a land development project, in Keraniganj.
Dr Habibur Rahman of Atibazar Central Hospital, who first treated Siddique, said he has several injury marks on head, face and shoulder.
Siddique is a brother-in-law of Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists’ (BFUJ) former Secretary General Abdul Jalil Bhuiyan and maternal uncle of Ihita Jalil, a senior sub editor of the national news agency Bangladesh Sangbad Sangstha (BSS).
The relatives of Siddique demanded immediate arrest of the culprits involved in the attack and their punishment and requested all to pray for Siddique’s early recovery.
Officer-in-charge of Keraniganj Model Police Station Shaker Mohammad Zobayer said the attack was carried out following the previous enmity and appropriate actions would be taken after the investigation.
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- Priya Shaha sacked form BHBCUC
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- Police HQ asks units to stop child-lifting rumor
- Imran Khan vows to reform Pakistan cricket
- Flood shut over 100 edu institutes in Tangail
- Dredging on railway
- Special supervising cell for defaulters
- Hong Kong reels from armed mob violence
- BD peacekeeper electrocuted in Central African Republic
- Bangladesh to tour Pakistan
- HC summons DNCC, DSCC chief health officials
- 3 placed on 4-day remand over Badda lynching
- 2 more schools made public
- ‘Masud Rana’s shooting set to kick-off
- Habiganj Civil Surgeon dies of dengue virus
- Local AL leader shot dead in Satkhira
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Iran announces arrests, death sentences as CIA spy ring busted
- ‘CNG stations to remain open 24 hrs for 11 days in Eid’
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Minni sent to jail
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web