AL has no candidate in 39 constituencies, BNP in 10
Published: 09:36 AM, 4 December 2018 Updated: 01:35 PM, 4 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
There is no Awami League candidate in 39 constituencies while BNP has no valid candidate in 10 parliamentary seats out of total 300 across the country after the scrutiny of nomination papers by the returning officers.
Of the constituencies, the ruling party did not field any candidate in 36 while BNP in five.
The 10 constituencies having no BNP contestant are Tangail-8, Moulvibazar-2, Cumilla-7, Laxmipur-4, Chattogram-14, Sunamganj-3, Manikganj-2, Jamalpur-4, Pabna-1 and Bogura-7.
The 39 constituencies having no AL candidate include Thakurgaon-3, Nilphamari-3 and 4, Lalmonirhat-3, Rangpur-1 and 3, Kurigram-2 and 4, Gaibandha-1, Bogura-2, 3, 4, 6 and 7, Rajshahi-2, Kushtia-2, Satkhira-1, Barishal-3 and 6, Pirojpur-2 and 3, Mymensingh-4 and 8, Kishoreganj-3, Munshiganj-1, Dhaka-4, 6 and 8, Narayanganj-3 and 5, Sunamganj-4, Sylhet-2, Moulvibazar-2, Brahmanbaria-2, Feni-1 and 3, Lakshmipur-2, Chattogram-2 and 5.
A total of 696 BNP runners submitted nomination papers in 295 constituencies and 281 AL aspirants in 264 constituencies within the deadline that expired on November 28.
During Sunday’s scrutiny, nomination papers of all BNP aspirants in five constituencies - Sunamganj-3, Manikganj-2, Jamalpur-4, Pabna-1 and Bagura-7 - were cancelled while that of AL candidates in three constituencies - Kurigram-4, Satkhira-1 and Narayanganj-3 - were rejected.
On Sunday, the returning officers cancelled total 786 nomination papers out of total 3,065 submitted by contestants in 300 constituencies to contest the 11th parliamentary elections slated for December 30.
Of the cancelled nomination papers, 141 were of BNP aspirants while three of AL contestants.
Now, the number of BNP’s valid candidates came down to 555 in 290 constituencies while that of AL to 278 in 261 constituencies, according to data compiled by the Election Commission.
The nomination papers of 38 HM Ershad-led Jatiya Party were cancelled. So, the number of Jatiya Party’s valid candidates stood at 195.
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- How to enhance or suppress memories
- Theresa May profile
- Panchagarh Express maiden voyage tomorrow
- 20 student burnt to death in India
- Record budget for FY2019-20: Finance Minister
- Mother of two ‘gang raped’ in Noakhali
- We have fought having month-long fasting: AG Minister
- Lightning kills 3 in B’baria, Habiganj
- PM to open 2nd Meghna, Gumti bridges tomorrow
- Terrible traffic jam in Rupganj
- Collapse risk of College boundary in Nalitabari
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- 300 orphan received PM’s Eid gifts
- Lightning kills three in Habiganj
- Injury scare for Eoin Morgan
- Tigers’ fan song ‘Cholo Bangladesh’ for World Cup composed
- High-security Ebola burials spark dismay, anger in DR Congo
- SpaceX launches first satellites of its internet network
- Mosque blast kills 2 in Pakistan
- British PM Theresa May announces to resign
- Itikaf: Significance and its virtues in Ramadan
- Sri Lanka to bowl first against SA
- Two country`s pending issues will be resolved: Quader
- Modi plots course after landslide Indian election win
- Kushtia Tailors passing busy time
- 3 more Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Jenner, Banderas, turn out for glitzy amfAR gala near Cannes
- Rain with gusty wind likely over country
- PCB bans wives and family from travelling with team
- All News »
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- `Final should not decide my future`
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Taskin in WC reserve squad finally
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Shakib-less Bangladesh opt to field
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar