93 pc deaths from Malaria in CHT districts
Published: 09:37 PM, 24 April 2018
About 93 percent of the total deaths caused by Malaria is reported from the three Chittagong Hill Tract (CHT) districts - Rangamati, Khagrachari and Bandarban.
The information came out at a press briefing organized by Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee (BRAC) at the National Press Club in the city this morning on the eve of the World Malaria Day 2018.
The day will be observed tomorrow with the theme `Ready to Beat Malaria`.
Director General of Directorate General of Health Service (DGHS) Professor Dr Abul Kalam Azad has chaired the event.
In the event, it is reported that Malaria is endemic in 13 of 64 districts in Bangladesh.
The prevalence of malaria in Bangladesh has decreased since the government has started the National Malaria Control Program (NMCP) in 2007.
The CHT districts have perennial transmission throughout the year due to the geophysical location, climate, and other favourable conditions for the vector species.
Thirteen districts such as Rangamati, Khagrachari, Bandarban, Cox`s Bazar, Chittagong, Sunamganj, Moulvibazar, Sylhet, Habiganj, Netrokona, Mymensingh, Sherpur and Kurigram, are most malaria endemic districts in the country.
Malaria is a mosquito-borne infectious disease affecting humans and other animals. The disease is caused by parasitic protozoan belonging to the Plasmodium type.
Malaria causes symptoms that typically include fever, feeling tired, vomiting, and headaches. In severe cases, it can cause yellow skin, seizures, coma, or death. Symptoms usually begin 10-15 days after the mosquito bite.
Director (disease control unit) of DGHS Prof Dr Sania Tahmina, Medical Officer of World Health Organization (WHO) Dr Mya Sapal and Program Manager of NMCP Dr MM Aktaruzzaman and among others were also present in the meeting.
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Study ties unhealthy gums to liver cancer risk
- PM urges int’l bodies to help rehabilitate Rohingyas in Myanmar
- Tamim falls after score fifty
- Court orders to freeze DIG Mizan’s wealth
- Teenager stabbed in capital`s Kadamtali
- Bangladesh loses Soumya early
- Signal 3 for maritime ports
- Australia set Bangladesh 382 to win
- Nusrat murder: charges formed, testimonies Jun 27
- Get driving license after eye and dope test: HC
- Rohingya wants to return after ensuring recognition
- Warner hits ton, Australia heading for big total
- Novoair increases flights to Jashore
- US confirms drone was shot down by Iranian missile
- Soumya makes brekthough for Bangladesh
- National Vitamin ‘A’ plus campaign on June 22
- Rohingyas’ ardor to return home on refugee day
- Prisoner dies in Kashimpur jail
- ‘Dhaka Attack’s villain Taskeen got married
- Rana`s bail stay till July 1
- Provide Tk 50 within 2 months to Rajib’s family: HC
- Take development schemes protecting environment: PM
- 9 to die for killing C’nawabganj Jubo League leader
- Rain, thundershowers likely to continue
- Australia to bat first against Bangladesh
- UN praises Bangladesh peacekeepers
- ‘Refugee Day’ observed with 1.1m Rohingyas burden
- Google Doodle celebrates Sufia Kamal’s birth anniv
- Birth anniversary of poet Sufia Kamal today
- All News »
- Apurba’s younger brother commits suicide
- Akash of N’ganj made Lamborghini!
- Uber driver’s slit-throat body found in Uttara
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- Ex-Sonagazi OC Moazzem held
- Oil tanker collision in Chattogram port, closes vessels movement
- PM orders for professional skill based promotion of army men
- 53 children die in India from brain disease linked to lychee
- ‘Lack of harvesting laborers results of employment opportunities’
- BGB man killed by lightning strike
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- England wins beating Windies
- Myanmar buying weapons despite int’l arms embargoes
- Finance Minister starts unveiling budget
- ‘Rohingya crisis may destabilise Asia if not resolved’
- Probe report submission deferred again
- College girl torched in Narsingdi, 1 held
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Tk 5,23,190cr budget for FY20 unveils in Parliament
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- Cigarette, bidi prices go up in Budget FY20
- Australia won by 87 runs
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Facing measles outbreaks, NY bans religious vaccination exemption
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Most-detailed-ever; black hole mystery disclosure
- Bangladesh informs UN about Myanmar’s non-cooperation
- Suspect pleads not guilty to all 92 charges
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5