9 killed after boat capsizes in eastern India
Published: 02:13 PM, 3 January 2019 Updated: 02:16 PM, 3 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
At least nine people were killed and one went missing after the boat on which they were board capsized in eastern Indian state of Odisha, officials said Thursday.
Officials said so far nine bodies have been recovered from the river Mahanadi.
Reports said the dead include two women and seven children.
The boat capsized Wednesday evening near Nipania in Kendrapara district, 124 km northeast of Bhubaneswar, and the capital city of Odisha.
“Last evening a boat carrying 55 people was returning after a picnic at the Light House in Hukitola island of the Mahanadi River here. It suddenly capsized in the river,” an official posted in Kendrapara said.
“Forty five people were rescued alive and 10 were missing. During the late night search that went on until early today, nine bodies were fished out and one is still missing.”
According to the official, following the accident, fire brigade officials, coast guard teams and police rushed to the spot to carry out rescue work.
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Priya`s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Tamim to lead Tigers in SL tour
- PM reaches London
- Mashrafe rule out of Sri Lanka tour
- Jamuna devours over 300 houses
- Municipal services halted in Mathbaria, extreme sufferings
- Kid drowns in Gabindaganj floodwater
- AL to hold joint meeting Saturday
- Minni sent to jail
- PM to join envoys’ conference in London tomorrow
- Tendulkar inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- ‘All must come forward to destroy Aedes mosquitoes origin’
- `Study in India` fair starts in Dhaka
- Cricket is not a sport: Russia
- ICC introduces new rule on substitute player
- Another hit of Gully Boy!
- Magnitude 5.5 quake jolts Bangladesh
- Humayun Ahmed alive through his speeches
- 13 human traffickers held in capital, Keraniganj
- Lilith’s trailer released
- Death toll hits 33 in Japan studio arson attack
- US sanctions on Myanmar not enough: UN
- Dengue check: DNCC skips holiday-leaves for two departs
- Truck overturned: Mother-son killed in Rohingya camp
- Rishan Farzi on five-day remand
- Expiry date, price must clear on drug: HC
- FaceApp occupies 15 crore subscribers’ gallery!
- Humanity for animal !
- Bangladeshis among 285 immigrants detained on Iran boarder
- All News »
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- No more sight this life: Bidisha
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- Two siblings drown in Shariatpur pond
- HM Ershad passes away
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- Ishana announced to leave media after getting married
- Ershad’s offspring: who & where
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- Ershad’s first namaz-e-janaza held
- 8 detained for ‘spreading rumor’ over Padma Bridge
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- Senior sports journalist Ajay Barua dies
- Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward Griezmann
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Ershad’s 1st janaza at army central mosque
- Torrential rain marooned 30,000 people in Bandarban
- Flood situation worsened in Lalmonirhat
- Stay alert to tackle flood: PM
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- Bangladesh makes significant stride in poverty reduction: UN
- How to get HSC result
- 3 more bodies recovered from Cox’s Bazar beach