87pc public transports violate traffic rules in Dhaka
Published: 07:23 PM, 21 April 2018
According to a survey of a passenger platform eighty-seven percent public transports including buses and minibuses ply on the roads in Dhaka violating traffic rules.
Bangladesh Jatri Kalyan Samity revealed the information at a roundtable at Jatiya Press Club in the capital on Saturday.
Mozammel Haque Chowdhury, secretary general of the platform, said at least 1, 841 people were killed and 5,477 injured in 1,779 road accidents across the country till April 20 of this year. Of them, 288 became physically disabled, he added.
“These are not accidents; we want to call these planned murders. We are forced to use the road in an anarchic situation,” he said in his written speech.
The association organised the roundtable when mismanagement of traffic system is being widely criticised following the death of Titumir College student Rajib Hossain in a tragic road accident in the capital.
On April 3, the third-year student lost his right hand after it got stuck between two speeding buses trying to overtake each other in Bangla Motor area. He lost the battle for his life at Dhaka Medical College and Hospital on April 17. His death saddened the whole country and exposed glaring lapses in road management.
Notably, Khalid Hasan Hridoy, 19, a student of class-X, lost the hand on Dhaka-Khulna highway in Gopalganj on April 17. He has been undergoing treatment at DMCH since then but doctors sated his condition still critical.
In another such instance, Runi Akhter, a student of University of Development Alternative (UODA) in Dhanmondi, got her leg crushed as a bus smashed her right leg against the base of a pavement in the capital`s Farmgate on April 12.
The latest victim of the accident spree is Rozina Akhter, 18, a housemaid, whose right leg got severed from her thigh in a mishap in Dhaka’s Chairmanbari area last night.
- Afghanistan mosque bombing kills 62
- Nadeem joins India squad for Ranchi Test
- Sheikh Russel’s 56th birthday observed
- Death sentence for humiliation of the Holy Quran
- Turkey-led strikes kill 14 civilians in northeast Syria
- Workshop on IT awareness for female students held at DU
- Aligarh University Prof meets DU VC
- KUET admission test held peacefully
- At least 28 killed in Afghan mosque blast
- Semolina’s rasmalai!
- NASA astronauts Koch and Meir in all-women spacewalk
- Education programs runing on tide
- UN welcomes Turkey`s ceasefire decision
- FM calls upon German investment in Bangladesh
- Surge success of Urmi
- Bangladesh maintains all-win run beating Faroe Islands 3-1
- 6 foods that damaging your kidneys
- Bangabandhu Film City will be world class: Hasan
- NCL coaches terminated for not playing leg spinner
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- Saif hits double ton, Imrul 93
- 17 fishermen jailed for catching hilsa
- Artist Kalidas Karmakar dies
- 35 arrested in anti-drug drive
- Culvert, the last reliance
- 2 children drown in Narail
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Tahsan not ‘celebrating’ Birthday...
- Singapore beat Scotland in T20 WC qualifiers
- US imposes record $7.5 billion tariffs on European goods
- All News »
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Unseen ‘Miss World Bangladesh’ Rafah
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- Abrar murder: First confession by Ifti
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Zion gives 2nd confessional statement in Abrar murder case
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Abrar murder: Amit, Toha on 5-day remand
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- The king who rose from the dead
- The female Pharaoh who ruled by wearing false beards
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- BUET students’ call off protests
- MBBS admission test today
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Woman given ‘Talaq’ for alcohol, short dress!
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh