82 filed petitions seeking nomination back
Published: 06:59 PM, 3 December 2018 Updated: 03:34 PM, 5 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
A total of 82 aggrieved aspirants on Monday submitted petitions to the Election Commission (EC) challenging the cancellation of their nomination papers by returning officers during Sunday’s scrutiny.
82 applications were submitted with the EC on the first day. Of the petitions, 81 were filed against the rejection of nomination papers, while one was against the acceptance of nomination paper, according to the EC file.
The EC, which also has the appellate jurisdiction, will receive applications on Tuesday and Wednesday as well.
BNP aspirants Mir Mohammad Nasiruddin (from Chattogram-5), Golam Maula Rony (Patuakhali-3), Khandaker Abu Ashfaq (Dhaka-1) and Abdul Wadud Bhuiyan (Khagrachhari), Gano Forum aspirant Dr Reza Kibira (Habiganj-1) and independent candidate Hero Alam (Bogura-4) were among those who filed the petitions.
Besides, independent aspirant Imran H Sarkar (Kurigram-4), whose nomination paper was rejected, came to the EC Secretariat to know the procedure of the appeal submission.
While talking to reporters at his office, EC Secretary Helal Uddin Ahmad said the rejected candidates will be able to appeal with Election Commission. “Even if any aspirant is not happy here (with the decisions of the EC), he/she can also go to court,” he added.
During the scrutiny on Sunday, returning officers rejected a total of 786 nomination papers and accepted 2,279 submitted in the country's 300 constituencies to contest the 11th national election scheduled for December 30.
Only aggrieved candidates or the banks concerned can file appeals with the EC by 5:00 pm on Wednesday (Dec 5) challenging the decisions of the returning officers over nomination papers.
An aspirant or an authorized person can submit the petition addressing the EC Secretary.
Seven copies of each application, including the main one, will have to be submitted.
The EC will dispose of the appeals by December 8 following hearings to be held at the EC Secretariat on December 6-8.
The last date for the withdrawal of candidature is December 9, while the election symbols will be allocated among candidates on December 10.
Immediately after having the electoral symbol allocated, the candidates will be allowed to conduct the campaign to woo voters in the December-30 parliamentary elections.
- Best exercise for your heart
- Truck carrying aid crosses border: OPPO MP
- Golden jubilee of Bangabandhu title observed
- Palestinians’ pray in long-closed part of Al-Aqsa
- Toxic liquor death stood 102 in Assam
- Sanai’s wedding tunes with ex-Minister
- Venezuela soldiers abandon posts at Colombia border
- PM releases stamp on Bangabandhu title’s golden jubilee
- Fire guilty should be trialed: GM Quader
- Chemical found! Dail 9556014
- Scout for free from militant, drugs: AG Minister
- Snow to strike Britain again freeze!
- Chemical godowns shift starts
- Tobacco use Loss over Tk 30,000 cr per yr
- Our fight is for Kashmir, Not against Kashmiris: Modi
- Vidya on banning Pakistani artistes in India
- 300 vehicles on fire near Bengaluru Air Show
- Mithila again in love!
- Savings Week 2019 begins in Rajshahi
- John Keats recall; Physician to Poet
- Mendis, Fernando carry Sri Lanka to historic win
- Cleanliness crush program in RMCH
- BCL declers Shovon-Rabbani pannel
- Marshall Islands consider radical measures
- NASA’s new DNA for alien search
- Salman Shah`s death report submission date deferred again
- Guaido defies travel ban
- AL nomination meeting today
- Assam toxic liquor death toll mounts to 84
- Mola in ponds improves others` nutritional quality
- All News »
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP
- India shouldn`t play Pakistan in World Cup: Harbhajan
- Maduro blasts US for ‘stealing’
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Shop gutted in Sylhet fire