BUP student killed in Narda road crash
8-point demands of students’ incl Suprovat driver’s penalty
Published: 04:25 PM, 19 March 2019
Photo: Daily Bangladesh
The protesting students demanded 8-point demands including the cancellation of route permit of ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ bus in the incident of killing an of university student Abrar Ahmed Chowdhury at capital’s Pragati Sarani.
The protesters demanded these by blocking the road in front of the capital's Jamuna Future Park on Tuesday noon.
In the morning, Abrar Ahmed Chowdhury, a student of International Relations Department of Bangladesh University of Professionals (BUP) was killed in a road accident. A bus of ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ ran over him while Abrar crossing the road in Bhatara area. Police arrested the assailant bus driver.
At one stage of the movement of students, Dhaka North City Corporation mayor Atiqul Islam went to the spot requesting to withdraw the blockade, but they did not accept it. He assured a strict punishment of the bus driver and makes a footover bridge after the deceased student's name, but the students continued the movement.
Students’ demands are:
1. The transport sector must be free from political influence. A bus driver's license and every necessary document must be checked every month.
2. The detainees and the involved people will be subjected to the maximum punishment.
3. Non-fitness and non-licensed driver needs to be removed quickly from today.
4. Underpass, speed breaker, and footover bridges should be constructed at all risky and necessary places.
5. All the people involved in the killing on the road will be brought under the law.
6. Make proper arrangements for the bus station and built passenger roofs by stopping the competitive traffic movement.
7. Half Pass or separate bus services will have to start for the students
8. Permanent discharge of the negligent administration and traffic police in charge.
Mayor Atiqul Islam came to the spot on the spot and said the country's current law will ensure maximum punishment for the bus driver. No buses of ‘Suprovat Paribahan’ will be allowed to run on that route. A footover bridge will be constructed there in the name of deceased Abrar within three-four months.
He also said that the bus services will be brought under a student six to seven organizations very soon. Later, he urged the students for withdrawal of the blockade but the students did not respond. Then the mayor left.
- UN top officials urged to pursue Myanmar for safe zone
- Russia eases citizenship rules in east Ukraine
- Govt mulling commission to identify Bangabandhu killers
- Sri Lanka admits `major` lapse over deadly Islamist blasts
- Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan reach semifinals
- Malaria situation improves in CHT
- PM alerted about terror activities
- 105 illegal structures demolished in N’ganj, Tongi
- Indian envoy calls on President
- PM consoles Zayan’s family
- Zayan laid to rest
- Brexit or no Brexit, UK with Bangladesh: Sir Simon
- BNP mourns Zayan’s killing in Sri Lanka bombings
- DU-affiliated 7 college students withdraw blockade
- Zayan’s namaz-e-janaza held
- Happy Birthday Sachin Tendulkar!
- Mannan for tapping huge potentials of blue economy
- UFO sightings have reached an all-time high
- Primary assistant teacher recruitment exam from May 10
- Procession, meeting banned at IU
- Company tempted farmers for tobacco cultivation!
- Google gets FAA OK for drone deliveries
- Sri Lanka attacks: Bomber ‘studied in UK and Australia’
- PM at Banani to see Zayan’s body
- OC’s cellphones seized over Nusrat killing case
- ‘We stand beside Mila’
- Fire at Kutupalong Rohingya camp
- Edu minister for upsurge education budget
- Harvesting Irri-boro paddy begins in Rajshahi
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- All News »
- Nusrat murder: Last accused Kader arrested
- Educational Institutes to be closed Apr 21, 22
- Vicky Kaushal injured during film shoot
- Stadium debate ahead of Ukraine presidential runoff
- Egypt votes in referendum to extend Sisi’s power
- ‘Bonolota Express’ to launch tomorrow
- ‘Pornstars name in school exam investigating’
- Sheikh Selim’s grandson killed in SL blasts
- Probe team of police going to Sonagazi
- Bangladeshi shot dead by BSF
- Google doodle celebrates birthday of Rosy Afsari
- 2 dead in road crash near Motsho Bhaban
- Man killed in Teknaf shootout
- Hafiz Quader was active in Nusrat killing
- Probe report against Nowshaba on May 28
- Renowned director Hasibul Islam passes away
- Journalist Zafar Wazed new PIB DG
- High-fructose corn syrup boosts intestinal tumor growth in mice
- PM visits residence of late Hamida Khanam
- 7 suicide attackers behind 6 SL blasts
- PM returns home tomorrow
- Sudan`s Bashir moved to prison as protesters rally
- 5 to die in Chapainawabganj rape case
- New identity of Porimoni
- Shokh says ‘Goodbye’!
- Actor Saleh Ahmed dies at 83
- Terrorist killed in Gazipur gunfight
- Adele separates from husband
- 13 under arrest for Sri Lanka blasts: police
- Nusrat murder: Moni put on 5-day remand