7hrs raid at Haji Selim’s residence, what recovered…...

Dhaka, Wednesday   23 June 2021

7hrs raid at Haji Selim’s residence, what recovered…

 Staff Correspondent daily-bangladesh.com

 Published: 08:02 PM, 26 October 2020   Updated: 01:17 AM, 27 October 2020

Photo: Collected

Photo: Collected

Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) have raided a house of Dhaka-7 MP Haji Selim. During the 7-hour operation, a large quantity of illegally stored liquor, weapons, walkie-talkies, and other electronic devices were recovered.

The RAB cordoned off the house at Devdas Lane in Soarighat in Old Dhaka on Monday around 12pm and launched an operation led by RAB executive magistrate Sarwar Alam.

Recovered foreign liquor

RAB raided the third and fourth floors of the building. 400 pieces yaba, 5-6 ltr of foreign liquor and 10 cans beer were recovered from the house.  Apart from these 38 walkie-talkies, a foreign pistol, an airgun, and a handcuff were found there.

Recovered walki-talkies used by Irfan Selim

RAB Magistrate Sarwar Alam said Irfan Selim failed to show any valid paperwork for the weapons. And the walkie-talkies are also illegal, these black walkie-talkies can only be used by members of the law enforcement agencies.

Irfan Selim and his bodyguard Mohammed Jahid were later sentenced for a total of one year in two separate cases of keeping illegal devices and drugs by a RAB mobile court.

Earlier on Sunday night, Dhaka-7 MP Haji Mohammad Selim’s son Councilor Irfan Selim and his fellows attacked Navy officer Lieutenant Md. Wasif Ahmed Khan. The incident took place near Kalabagan's signal in the capital. A case was filed against seven including Haji Selim's son on Monday morning.

Injured Navy Officer Lieutenant Md. Wasif Ahmed at the scene yesterday

According to the case statement, the naval officer Lieutenant Md. Wasif Ahmed Khan was going to Kalabagan on a motorcycle with his wife around 7:45 pm on Sunday. A sticky black Land Rover (Dhaka Metro-Gha-11-5736) with a sticker “Member of Parliament” in front of Labaid Hospital hit his motorcycle from behind. The officer then stopped the motorcycle on the side of the road, stood in front of the car and introduced himself. But the accused got out of the car and humiliated and beat him. He later verbally abused his wife. When people gathered at the spot, they left their cars and fled. Later, the police came to the spot and took both the vehicle and the motorcycle of the Navy officer to Dhanmondi police station.

After the incident, the officer's wife, local people and the traffic police officer on duty at Dhanmondi area rescued the officer and took him to Anwer Khan Modern Hospital for treatment.