75 dead in landslides, floods in Philippines
Published: 04:44 PM, 1 January 2019 Updated: 04:44 PM, 1 January 2019
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The landslides and flash floods triggered by heavy rains in the Philippines have caused 75 people dead and 16 others missing, the government disaster agency said on Tuesday.
The Philippine National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said in its latest report that besides the deceased, 16 people are still missing and 12 were injured.
More than 45,000 families or nearly 192,000 people from 457 villages in the central and northern Philippines were affected by the tropical depression that hit the land on Dec. 29.
It weakened into a low-pressure area after hitting land. Nevertheless, it continued to dump days of heavy rain in the Bicol region and Eastern Visayas, triggering landslides and massive flooding.
NDRRMC spokesman Edgar Posadas said 59 of the deaths were from the Bicol region, 13 from Eastern Visayas in the central Philippine and three others from nearby regions.
“The deaths were mostly due to landslides,” Posadas added.
The spokesman said that many roads were rendered impassable due to flooding and landslides. The heavy rain also caused power outages and cancellations of 36 flights.
The government is now in the process of restoring damaged electric lines and roads, he added.
The most affected provinces like Albay province, Camarines Sur province, Camarines Norte province and Sorsogon province are now placed under a state of calamity. This would allow the fast release of relief funds, while price controls would be imposed on basic necessities and prime commodities.
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- Bogura-6 by-election underway
- Death toll rises to 5 in Kulaura train crash
- Pirate leader killed in gunfight
- "Huge" blast rocks military hospital in Pakistan
- Tigers face Afghanistan today
- Train crash: 4-member probe committee formed
- Four killed in Kulaura train crash
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia