7.4kg kidney removed from man in India
Published: 12:25 PM, 26 November 2019 Updated: 12:33 PM, 26 November 2019
Indian doctors have removed a kidney weighing 7.4kg (16.3lbs) - as much as two newborn babies - from a patient. It's believed to be the largest kidney ever removed in India - a kidney usually weighs between 120-150g.
The patient was suffering from a condition called Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease, which causes cysts to grow all over the organ.
A doctor involved in the operation said large kidneys were common in patients with the disease.
However, Dr Sachin Kathuria, from Sir Ganga Ram hospital in Delhi, said doctors generally would not remove the organ unless there were symptoms of infection and internal bleeding, as they were performing at least some filtering functions in the body.
"This patient had contracted a bad infection that was not responding to antibiotics, and the kidney's massive size was causing the patient breathing difficulties, so we had no choice but to remove it," he said.
Dr Kathuria added that doctors were expecting a large kidney when they operated, but the size of this organ had still surprised them.
"His other kidney is even bigger", he told the BBC.
He said the heaviest kidney according to the Guinness World Records is 4.5kg, although urology journals had records of kidneys that were even heavier than this one. One from the US weighed 9kg while another from the Netherlands was 8.7kg.
Dr Kathuria said doctors had not decided whether to submit their findings to the Guinness commission as a world record, but they were "considering it".
According to the NHS website, Polycystic kidney disease is a common hereditary condition, which causes problems when patients are between 30 and 60 years old. It causes kidney function to deteriorate until it finally culminates in kidney failure.
- AL Central Working Committee visits Tungipara today
- Twitter adds emoji reactions to Direct Message
- Mirpur slum fire doused after 2 hrs
- Coronavirus affected Indian nurse identified in Saudi
- Coronavirus death toll jumps to 25 with 830 cases: govt
- Today’s Sports on TV
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day today
- 1 GB data for Tk 1
- Tigers to take on Pakistan today
- Fire at Parabat Express in B’baria
- Paturia-Daulatdia ferry services resume
- Historic Mass Upsurge Day on Friday
- Saudi Arabia again deports 217 Bangladeshis
- China locks down cities to curb virus outbreak
- DU to confer honorary doctorate on Bangabandhu
- Rapid Rating Chess tournament on Friday
- Bangladesh welcomes ICJ verdict
- Bangla Academy Sahitya Puroshkar 2019 announced
- PSTU expels 15 for ragging
- AL to pay homage to Bangabandhu at Tungipara
- Chinese New Year gala celebrated
- 19 killed in south Sudan tribal clashes
- No national channel to broadcast Bangladesh-Pakistan series
- FM hoping for millstone in remittance growth
- Bangladeshi Omar Ishrak named Intel Chairman
- New hope for distress Rohingyas
- Sheikh Russell Children Park to be opened on March 17
- Worker died falling from building
- ‘Action to be taken against corrupted officials’
- Tambadu: The man who stands beside distress Rohingya
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- ICJ orders Myanmar to protect Rohingya, to preserve evidence
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- Coronavirus: Everything you need to know
- Two siblings among 3 electrocuted in Hazaribagh
- China virus deaths rise to 17, heightening global alarm
- Gabtoli turmoil after throwing eggs
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU
- Bangladesh enters e-Passport era
- Top 5 batsmen in Bangabandhu BPL
- Bride’s mother elopes with groom’s father
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- Bangladesh meet Burundi in semifinal today
- 5 held with marijuana in Sirajganj
- World court’s four orders against Myanmar
- DMP’s letter to EC to keep close trade fair for 2 days
- E-passport to be launched today
- ‘Law enforcers will work under EC directives’
- SSC-equivalent exam rescheduled
- Over 100 killed in Yemen missile, drone attack
- E-passport is a ‘Mujib Barsho’ gift for nation: PM
- Seven killed in Indonesia bridge collapse