7 die after drinking hand sanitiser
Published: 12:36 PM, 22 November 2020 Updated: 03:41 PM, 22 November 2020
The hand sanitiser was 69 percent methanol and has been sold during the coronavirus pandemic. Photo: Collected
Seven people have died after drinking hand sanitiser when the alcohol ran out at a party in Russia. Two more are in a coma in an intensive care ward.
The incident took place in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky district of the country's largest region, Yakutia.
The antiseptic hand sanitiser was 69 percent methanol and has been sold during the coronavirus pandemic. Health officials warned locals not to drink the antiseptic, which was made in Russia.
A 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59 were the first three to die before a medical evacuation aircraft flew six others to regional capital Yakutsk. On Friday three more men died, aged 28, 32 and 69. One more death was reported on Saturday.
In a statement, the federal public health watchdog Rospotrebnadzor said: ‘Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal.’
‘The poisoning took place as a result of drinking sanitiser,’ the regional state prosecutor said:
A criminal case has been opened.