65th birthday of Sheikh Jamal Saturday
Published: 11:08 PM, 27 April 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
The 65th birthday of Sheikh Jamal, son of the Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman will be observed across the country tomorrow.
To mark the day, Bangladesh Awami League (AL), its associate bodies and other likeminded socio-cultural organisations have chalked out elaborate programmes including recitation from the Holy Quran, offering milad and doa mahfil, placing wreaths at his graveyard and discussion.
As part of the programmes, AL will pay rich tribute to Shaheed Sheikh Jamal, a freedom fighter, by placing wreaths at his Banani grave around 8.30am tomorrow.
Born on April 27 in 1954 at Tungipara in Gopalganj, Sheikh Jamal did his matriculation from Dhaka Residential Model College and intermediate from Dhaka College. He joined the War of Liberation in 1971.
While studying at Dhaka College, Jamal traveled to Yugoslavia for military training under the auspices of the Yugoslav army. Subsequently, he received training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in Great Britain. He joined the Bangladesh Army as a Commissioned Officer.
Jamal was also a noted cricketer. He was also fond of music and used to play guitar.
On August 15 in 1975, Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the country`s architect, with most of his family members including Sheikh Jamal, was assassinated by a group of disgruntled army officers.
Bangabandhu`s two daughters - incumbent Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina and his sister Sheikh Rehana - escaped the carnage as they were abroad at that time.
- Sarafa Infotech’s new director Saroj Mehedi
- Shakib star as Bangladesh beat Afghanistan
- Where Shakib is first
- BNP candidate Siraj wins Bogura-6 by-polls
- Ebola death toll breaks 1,500 mark in DRC
- Liton sends Ikram back by direct hit
- Shakib gets 4, Afghanistan`s 5 down
- Shakib removes Gulbadin, Nabi in same over
- Stocks perform mixed on higher transactions
- Mosaddek gets Hashmatullah 2 down for AFG
- AL has been strengthened by attack: Sheikh Hasina
- Shakib strikes his first over
- Russell ruled out of World Cup with injury
- Mushfiqur, Shakib takes Bangladesh to 262
- Arrest warrant issued against Mila
- Shakib first Bangladeshi to 1000 WC runs
- 7.3-magnitude quake hits Indonesia, no tsunami threat
- Nabi gets Tamim 2 down for Bangladesh
- Bangladesh lose Liton early
- HC seeks info on unfit vehicles and drivers
- 14 killed as India tent collapses during religious gathering
- JCD factions clash at Nayapaltan, cocktails blast
- Tigers to bat first after losing toss
- Argentina beat Qatar to qualify for last eight
- Rail communication to be normal by evening: Secy
- Happy birthday to football magician Messi
- 14th span of Padma Bridge to be installed Jun 28
- Heat wave may continue and spread
- Habiganj municipality by-election underway
- Kulaura train crash: Three deceased identified
- All News »
- Shakib, Liton star as Tigers beat Windies
- World population to increase 2 bn by 2050: UN report
- AL to make it`s 70th anniversary memorable
- Tigers won toss, bowl first
- Public exam pass marks 40, no GPA 5
- Gayle falls for duck!
- Probe report submission deferred again
- Bangladesh achieves fastest growth in Asia-Pacific
- Mushfiqur`s ton in vain as Bangladesh lost to Australia
- Caribbeans set 322-run target for Tigers
- Europe’s oldest person ‘Nonna Peppa’ died at 116
- England beat Afghanistan by 150 runs
- None can escape creating sabotage: HM
- RAB revealed mystery of Sensational Shakib murder
- ‘Nani’ providing health care on cycle at 92
- No exempt, although it is MP-Minister’s house: Rezaul
- UNHCR envoy Miyavi hoped Rohingya crisis’ quick solve
- 3 farmers killed in Natore road crash
- Moazzem produced before Cyber Crime Tribunal
- Ex-MP Rana gets bail
- Bangladesh to face West Indies today
- PM inaugurates environment fair, tree plantation campaign & tree fair
- BD female pilots become paragons for Congolese women
- Ruling party gibes on BNP maiden day
- Extremists use religion to create fascism: Monirul
- Ijtema photo wins National Geographic prize
- Boat capsizes at Sadarghat: two minors’ body recovered
- Kohli breaks Sachin Tendulkar’s record
- Shakib enters 6000-run club in ODI
- 2 female RMG workers’ bodies recovered in Ashulia