63rd birth anniversary of Lucky Akhand today
Published: 11:19 AM, 7 June 2019 Updated: 11:40 AM, 7 June 2019
The 63rd birth anniversary of eminent singer-composer, music director and freedom fighter Lucky Akhand is being observed on Friday.
Born on June 18, 1956, Akhand got music lessons at the age of five from his father. He performed in music programs for children on television and radio during 1963-1967.
He was enlisted as a music composer of HMV Pakistan when he was 14 and a musician of HMV India at 16.
In 1971, he joined Swadhin Bangla Betar Kendra. He later served as the director (music) of Bangladesh Betar.
Akhand started his career with self-titled solo album Lucky Akhand in 1984 under the banner of Sargam. In the 1980s, he was a rage when he came up as a singer, lyricist, composer, and music director.
Akhand composed notable songs including ‘Amay Deko Na’, ‘Ei Neel Monihar’ and ‘Abar Elo Jey Shondhya’ while the veteran singer was associated with the musical band ‘Happy Touch’.
Akhand won the first prize in ‘Modern Bangla Songs’ category in 1969 from the Pakistan Art Council. ‘Abar Elo Je Sondha’ was used in Bangla film named Ghuddi in 1988.
His composed songs for the album of his brother in which ‘Abar Elo Je Sondha’ and ‘Ke Bashi Bajaire’ were sung by Akhand.
‘Shadinota Tomake Niye’, ‘Pahari Jhorna’, sung by Happy Akhand and himself and ‘Nil Nil Shari Pore’ and ‘Hothat Kore Bangladesh’ sung by himself were notable songs.
Akhand stopped his career after the death of his younger brother, Happy Akhand in 1987.
He returned after a decade with two albums named ‘Porichoy Kobe Hobe’ and ‘Bitrishna Jibone Amar’ in 1998.
He used contemporary rhythm, folk fusion and his always favorite Spanish fusion in his songs.
The singer had been suffering from lung cancer for a long time. He died on April 21 in 2017 at Sir Salimullah Medical College and Mitford Hospital in the city at the age of 61.
- ‘Child lifters’ rumor: innocence loses life
- Chandrayaan-2: India launches second Moon mission
- WHO to work with DSCC in combating dengue
- Bangladesh U-19 beat England U-19
- No cattle hat blocking roads: DMP Commissioner
- Books in hand, fear in mind
- Priya Shaha sacked form BHBCUC
- Farmers passing busy days in cattle fattening
- Police HQ asks units to stop child-lifting rumor
- Imran Khan vows to reform Pakistan cricket
- Flood shut over 100 edu institutes in Tangail
- Dredging on railway
- Special supervising cell for defaulters
- Hong Kong reels from armed mob violence
- BD peacekeeper electrocuted in Central African Republic
- Bangladesh to tour Pakistan
- HC summons DNCC, DSCC chief health officials
- 3 placed on 4-day remand over Badda lynching
- 2 more schools made public
- ‘Masud Rana’s shooting set to kick-off
- Habiganj Civil Surgeon dies of dengue virus
- Local AL leader shot dead in Satkhira
- Court dismisses Minni’s two petitions
- Iran announces arrests, death sentences as CIA spy ring busted
- ‘CNG stations to remain open 24 hrs for 11 days in Eid’
- Rain or thundershowers likely
- Rooney Mara and Joaquin Phoenix get engaged
- Man accused in 18 cases killed in Bakshiganj gunfight
- DU gates locked for 2nd day
- Priya Saha to be interrogated after her return: Quader
- All News »
- Priya’s allegation is not correct: US Ambassador
- Child’s head in bag, youth lynched in Netrokona
- ‘Lady Killer’ Tisha to fight against formalin in food
- Priya falsify to Trump about Bangladesh
- Woman lynched over child-lifting rumour: 500 sued
- Bride, bridegroom among 10 killed as train hits microbus
- HSC exam results tomorrow
- Rifat murder: Minni at Police Line for questioning
- BPSC announces dates for 38th BCS viva
- Police want 10-day remand of Minni
- England win Cricket WC after Super Over drama
- Rifat killing mastermind Minni; says police
- 8 boards attain 71.85 pc pass rate
- Stocks maintain positive trend
- None took ‘liability of denying legal support’ to Minni
- 3 kids drown in flood water, 1 missing
- Renu lynched in Badda, 3 held
- How to get HSC result
- Accused stabbed dead by another in front of judge in court
- HSC pass rate increases 7.9 pc
- Minni sent to jail
- Put Myanmar for Rohingya return; FM urges US
- Sohel Rana speechless on Ershad’s death
- PM to inaugurate ‘Benapole Express’ Wednesday
- Country’s 7th mobile assembling plant to be launched with FDI
- Ershad’s namaz-e-janaza held in Rangpur
- Ershad’s body in Rangpur
- Minni on 5-day remand
- Man accused in 14 cases killed in gunfight
- Google shuts down AdSense on Android, iOS for web