63 ‘terrorists’, 25 others killed in Niger army base attack
Published: 03:04 PM, 10 January 2020
Heavily armed assailants stormed a military base in Niger on Thursday killing 25 people and leading to fierce clashes that killed 63 “terrorists”, the defence ministry said, in an area where dozens died in a previous jihadist attack.
The raid near to the volatile frontier with Mali by attackers in vehicles and on motorbikes began in Chinegodar, in the western Tillaberi, at 1:00 pm (12H00 GMT), defence spokesman Colonel Souleymane Gazobi said on television.
“The response with the combined air support of the Niger air force and partners made it possible to strike and rout the enemy outside our boundaries,” he said. Partners often mean US drones in the Sahel, or French fighter planes or drones in the country.
He put the toll at 25 dead and six injured on the “friendly side” and on the “enemy side 63 terrorists neutralized”.
The attack happened in the same region Tillaberi, also bordering Burkina Faso, where 71 Niger soldiers were killed in a December attack, claimed by the Islamic State group, that saw hundreds of jihadists storm a camp near the border with Mali with artillery.
It was the deadliest on Niger’s military since Islamist extremist violence began to spill over from neighboring Mali in 2015, and dealt a blow to efforts to roll back jihadism in the Sahel.
That attack spurred leaders of the G5 Sahel nations to call for closer cooperation and international support in the battle against the Islamist threat.
Militant violence has spread across the vast Sahel region, especially in Burkina Faso and Niger, having started when armed Islamists revolted in northern Mali in 2012.
Thousands of civilians have also died and more than a million have been forced to flee their homes since the jihadist revolt began.
Analysts note an escalation in the jihadists’ operational tactics, which seem to have become bolder and more complex in recent months.
Ranged against them are the impoverished armies of Chad, Burkina Faso, Mali, Mauritania and Niger, plus a 4,500-man French force in the Sahel and the 13,000-man UN force in Mali, MINUSMA.
The Sahel region of Africa lies to the south of the Sahara Desert and stretches across the breadth of the African continent.
- Taiwan records its first coronavirus death as global toll passes
- Students must lead to build drug-free society: Menon
- Qatar keen to recruit skilled manpower from Bangladesh
- Central Zone sniffs victory with Shanto’s double century
- Singapore expatriate wife leaves home over coronavirus panic
- Meeting between Managing Directors of DSE, CSE
- ‘Basic Concept of Islamic Banking’ workshop held
- Bandits kill 30 in northwest Nigeria attack: police
- Coronavirus could damage global growth in 2020: IMF
- Interest rates reduced in Post Office saving schemes
- College-boy killed in Lalmonirhat road accident
- Russian solder proposes using 16 tanks
- 2 doctors killed in Tangail road crash
- Perfect weight according to height
- 2 motorcyclist killed in Sunamganj road crash
- How much salt needed to lose weight?
- Bkash agent killed in Jashore road crash
- Sharif joins housing and public works ministry
- Arvind Kejriwal takes oath
- 50,000 people suffer for lack of bridge
- Legal procedures to follow for Khaleda`s parole: Anisul
- Two killed in Tangail road accident
- Yasir hits career-best knock as North Zone takes lead
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Accused in multiple cases in Sirajganj detained
- Husband with arms, wife having bullets detained
- Motorcyclist killed in Kushtia road crash
- Haven`t received Khaleda Zia`s parole appel: Kamal
- Six World Cup-winning U-19 players in BCB XI
- Bogura-1, Jashore-6 and CCC polls Mar 29
- All News »
- Massacre in Thailand: Killer army shot dead
- Promise Day today
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- Bangladesh clinch maiden U-19 World Cup
- Soldier who killed 26 in Thailand shot dead
- 13 dead as trawler capsizes in Bay, 10 missing
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- Young Tigers to receive ‘Water Salute’ at airport
- HC upholds death penalty for 5 militants
- Oscar 2020: Full list of winners
- China’s coronavirus death toll jumps to 1,113
- Couple make history with N.Ireland`s first same-sex marriage
- Bangladesh under pressure as Bishnoi strikes thrice
- Soumya to get married this month
- Young Tigers to face India
- Heroes return home today
- PM opens Sheikh Kamal IT Centre in Rajshahi
- China returnee student shifted to Kurmitola
- Yaravirus panic in Brazil amid Coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Death toll jumps to 900
- Teacher jailed for providing cheat sheets
- Soumya with future wife
- Young Tigers need 178-run to win WC
- Bangladesh-India XIs in U-19 final
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Avishek hunts India first
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Mysterious disease left 15 dead in Nigerian
- 80 years of Tom & Jerry
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666