60 civilians killed in US attack in Afghanistan
Published: 11:04 AM, 10 January 2020 Updated: 02:55 PM, 10 January 2020
More than 60 civilians were killed or wounded in a US drone attack targeting a top Taliban splinter-group commander in the western Afghanistan province of Herat, local officials said.
Mullah Nangyalay, the Taliban commander, was killed in Shindand district close to the border with Iran, Herat provincial governor's spokesman Jailani Farhad said on Thursday.
"According to the people, over 60 civilians were killed and wounded in the operation," Toryalai Tahiri, deputy head of Herat provincial council, told Afghan local media TOLO News.
Quoting Wakil Ahmad Karkhi, a member of the Herat provincial council, TOLO News reported "civilians have been killed and wounded alongside Mullah Nangyalai's fighters" in an American attack on Wednesday.
The Afghan government said it launched an investigation into reports of civilian casualties.
Nangyalay split from the main branch of the Taliban after the 2013 death of founder Mullah Omar and joined a smaller breakaway faction led by a commander known as Mullah Rasool.
A senior provincial police source said Wednesday's air raid had been carried out by a US drone.
Resolute Support, NATO's mission in Afghanistan, told AFP news agency it launched "a defensive air strike in support of Afghan forces", with a spokesman confirming US participation in the operation.
The main Taliban faction has been negotiating with Washington for more than a year over the withdrawal of US troops in exchange for security guarantees from the armed group that could pave the way to intra-Afghan peace talks.
- Manikganj truck-private car collision left 5 injured
- Rain likely in next 72 hours
- 2 robbers killed in Dinajpur gunfight
- 3 killed after crane crashes on sets of Kamal Haasan
- No more `nude` selfie on phone
- Coronavirus: Death toll mounts to 2120
- 19 dead in container-bus collision in Tamil Nadu
- 68 yrs of Language Movement
- Rapper Pop Smoke shot dead
- Coronavirus: Another hospital chief infected in China
- 8 dead in gunmen attacks in Germany
- World Day of Social Justice today
- Excellent puzzled day after 808 yrs
- Today’s sports on TV
- PM hands over Ekushey Padak today
- AL finalizes nomination for councilor posts in CCC polls
- Four killed in Kutubdia boat capsize
- 14 gamblers-drug dealers detained in Mymensingh
- Govt to shut 3 crore illegal smartphones
- Myanmar on financial surveillance!
- Pakistan conducts successful missile test
- No high-rise buildings along sea: PM
- Coronavirus reaches Iran: report
- 450 of 1200 posts vacant
- Preparation for Dhaka-10 by-polls completed: Returning Officer
- Rape accused detained in Narayanganj
- BNP`s politics stuck in Khaleda`s illness: Hasan
- Interest of postal saving will be revisited: Kamal
- Teacher takes salary without signing attendance sheet!
- Three robbers detained in Jamalpur
- All News »
- Corona patient shot dead in North Korea
- ‘Kache Ashar Oshomapto Golpo’ to be aired on 13 channels
- 8 of a family burnt in N’ganj gas burner explosion
- Soumya with future wife
- Soumya to get married this month
- Coronovirus deaths surge past 1,300
- Saudi to invest $30bn in Bangladesh
- Coronavirus: Death toll rises to 1666
- 25-km tailback on Bangabandhu Bridge as toll plaza closed
- Fire at DR Tower in Naya Paltan
- Marriage at office on Valentine’s Day getting no leave
- Good news to honey farmers
- Boat capsize in Rangamati: 5 killed, 3 missing
- Srijit’s anger over Tahsan
- Sundarbans Day today
- Valentine, Pahela Falgun celebration same day
- What Srijit told about Tahsan
- ‘Returnee from China-Singapore doesn’t mean coronavirus infected’
- 6,723 coronavirus patients discharged after recovery
- 1st coach of Metro rail arrived
- Death toll in China surges past 1,500
- Actor Tapas Paul passes away
- Korea to provide scanners to diagnose coronavirus to Bangladesh
- Bangladesh wants Qatar`s support for Rohingya repatriation
- 19 case accused killed in two groups’ gunfight
- Kidney Specialist without certificate!
- Another Bangladeshi infected with coronavirus in Singapore
- Technical students to get more financial assistance: PM
- Falguni kills 5 workers in Gopalganj
- Wuhan hospital chief dies of coronavirus