60 Australian newspapers to stop printing
Published: 04:41 PM, 1 April 2020
60 Australian newspapers to stop printing
News Corp Australia will stop the printing of its 60 regional newspapers from next week due to spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). The sixty newspaper will publish only the online version.
Rupert Murdoch's Australian flagship media group News Corp announced on Wednesday it will stop printing around 60 regional newspapers. The decision has been taken as the sector faces a new crisis due to the slowdown in the COVID-19 situation.
News Corp reports that newspapers in New South Wales, Victoria, Queensland and South Australia will close print editions and go online.
"We have not taken this decision lightly," News Corp Australasia Executive Chairman Michael Miller was quoted as saying by the group's Australian newspaper title.
"The coronavirus crisis has created unprecedented economic pressures and we are doing everything we can to preserve as many jobs as possible."
"The suspension of our community print editions has been forced on us by the rapid decline in advertising revenues following the restrictions placed on real estate auctions and home inspections, the forced closure of event venues and dine-in restaurants in the wake of the coronavirus emergency, " he added.
On the other hand, before the outbreak of the Coronavirus, many media groups in Australia stopped printing versions and went online.
- Libya killings: Case filed against 38 people
- Biden accuses Trump of trafficking in ‘resentment and fear’
- DU goes for online classes
- 2 girls commit suicide after failing in SSC exam
- Fierce protests in US: 3 protesters killed, 5 policemen shot
- 30 more test COVID-19 positive in Faridpur
- 3 of a family killed in Sirajganj road crash
- 9 including two nurses contract COVID-19 in Shariatpur
- Another policeman dies from coronavirus
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Illegal structures on govt canal
- SP greet 10 policemen after overcoming COVID-19 in Cumilla
- Bangladesh reports 1st Rohingya death in COVID-19 infection
- 3 incl lawyer, policeman die in Ctg
- PCR lab set up in Sheikh Fazilatunnessa hospital
- 90s popular musician Biplob now a taxi driver
- Abdul Halim named BSEC commissioner
- Fire at United Hospital: HC seeks report by Jun 14
- House owner fined as Aedes larvae found in building under-const
- 10 more UP chairmen-members suspended
- ACC director Basir’s bail plea rejected
- Imran pleas for lockdown-relax
- 1.5 crore families get govt relief
- DMP replaces three asst police commissioners
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Laborer killed by overturning crane in Cumilla
- Hygiene not followed at bus terminals
- Abrar murder: Jion’s bail plea rejected
- Trade thru Bhomra land port resumes
- Gazipur reports 93 new infected cases
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Offices resume from May 31
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- Coronavirus case in country crosses 40,000