6.9-magnitude quake strikes off Philippines, Tsunami Waves Possible
Published: 10:59 AM, 29 December 2018 Updated: 03:35 PM, 29 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
A 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck off the southern Philippine island of Mindanao on Saturday and hazardous tsunami waves were possible on parts of the coasts of the Philippines and Indonesia, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.
The US Geological Survey said that the quake struck southeast of Davao City at a depth of 59 kilometres (35 miles), while the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said “hazardous tsunami waves from this earthquake are possible” along the coasts of Indonesia and the Philippines.
However, tsunami waves were forecast to be less than 30 cm (12 inches) high, the Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre said.
The Philippines’ government seismology office said cities in the south of the country felt “moderately strong” shaking.
The provincial civil defence office said it had no immediate reports of damage or casualties from the quake.
According to the USGS, there was a low likelihood of casualties and damage, although it warned recent earthquakes in the area had caused landslides.
The Philippines and Indonesia lie on the so-called Ring of Fire, a vast Pacific Ocean region where many earthquakes and volcanic eruptions occur.
The most recent major quake disaster to strike the Philippines was in 2013 when a 7.1-magnitude quake left more than 220 people dead and destroyed historic churches in the central islands.
Indonesia has been hit by two major tsunamis this year. More than 400 people were killed last weekend after an erupting volcano triggered a deadly wave that struck the coastlines of western Java island and south Sumatra.
A quake-tsunami in September killed around 2,200 people in Palu on Sulawesi island, with thousands more missing and presumed dead.
- Mozambique cyclone: death toll over 400
- Al Shabaab raid kills 11 in Somalia
- BNP will face extinction like Jamaat: Hanif
- BKSP clicnh thrilling victory over Brother Union
- UK police arrested 104 yrs woman
- True-Meaning Wearable Displays
- SAU student killed; pushed off moving bus
- Butterfly numbers down: Study
- Nano-bot can probe inside human cells
- Chemical of old Dhaka is now residential area
- Motorcycle crash kills 2 in Panchbibi
- 15 Day training for upazila info service officers begins
- Step against entrants with arms in airport
- CSK to field first aginst RCB
- Two students killed in road crashes in Munshiganj, Gazipur
- Bangladesh Archery team to fly to Bangkok Sunday
- Quader talks to physician
- 3 brands to spend 250 crores on Aamir
- Many `march for love` in New Zealand as mosques reopen
- Rowshan deputy opposition in JS
- 19 drug dealers’ surrender in Feni
- Kamal visits Mosharraf Rubel
- 8 Indian nationals extradited
- Schoolboy killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Boro cultivation exceeds target in C’nawabganj
- Jet Airways hangs flight to Dhaka
- Modi greets Imran Khan on Pakistan National Day
- Taskin chooses World Cup over his prolonged career
- Minister for Human rights violation free Bangladesh
- One killed in Gazipur road crash
- All News »
- Ex-JaPa leader Mohsen Rashid joins Gono Forum
- Maize production likely bumper in Rangpur
- Registration of Shuprovat Paribahan bus cancelled
- Man held with shotgun at Dhaka airport
- Coal power stations disrupt rainfall: Global study
- Nationwide prog on Bangabandhu’s birth centenary
- Local AL leader shot dead in Rangamati
- 7 incl presiding officer shot dead in Rangamati
- Students again on road with ‘We want Justice’
- Indonesia floods, mudslides: death toll rises to 89
- Six dead, 30 injured in China chemical plant blast
- ‘Send cricket team to ensure security in future’
- Attack suspect Brenton Tarrant appears in court
- BUP student killed in Narda road crash, sparks protest
- AL leader stabbed dead in Sunamganj
- First Bangladeshi girl in UN`s Education Conference
- Monali’s Dhaka concert postponed
- Protest continues demanding justice for Abrar
- NZ PM vows never to say gunman`s name
- National SME fair begins
- 100th birthday of Bangabandhu celebrated
- Drug trader killed in Meherpur gunfight
- Tigers left New Zealand
- Student killed in Sirajganj road crash, road blockade
- 12th death anniversary of Rana today
- Rain with gusty wind likely
- 50 killed as flash floods strike Indonesia’s Papua
- Hard-hitter Sabbir gets hitched
- All 50 victims of Christchurch attack identified: police
- 2 Bangladeshi Christchurch victims’ burial completed