Poll on Denuclearization:
6 out of 10 S. Koreans support easing sanctions on DPRK
Published: 03:52 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 03:52 PM, 27 November 2018
More than six out of 10 South Koreans support easing sanctions on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to facilitate the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and build lasting peace, a survey showed Tuesday.
According to the poll by the National Unification Advisory Council, a presidential advisory body on long-term policy for inter-Korean relations, 64 percent of respondents support the sanctions relief on Pyongyang.
Of the total, 32 percent was against the eased sanctions, exactly half of the supporters.
The result was based on a survey of 1,000 voters conducted from Friday to Sunday. It had 3.1 percentage points in a margin of error with a 95 percent confidence level.
Asked about whether the implementation of the inter-Korean military agreement would help defuse military tensions and built trust between the two Koreas, 61 percent said yes. Against it was 34.9 percent.
The military agreement was signed by defense chiefs of the two Koreas during the Pyongyang summit in September between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un.
Under the agreement, the military authorities of the two sides have taken various steps to reduce tensions, such as the withdrawal of guard posts from the demilitarized zone (DMZ), which has left the Korean Peninsula divided since the 1950-1953 Korean War ended with the armistice, on a trial basis.
Asked about which areas the two Koreas should focus on for the cross-border cooperation, 33.9 percent picked the construction of infrastructures, such as railways, roads, and seaports. It was followed by economic cooperation, which 32.8 percent supported the most.
- Myanmar finds war crimes but no genocide against Rohingya
- Cold wave hits North, sunshine in Dhaka
- Gabtoli in turmoil for throwing eggs
- Trump impeachment trial set to open in Senate
- Fourth person has died from new virus: China
- New China virus: pharmaceuticals fear amid risk of infection
- U-19 CWC: Japan faces India today
- Drug trader killed in Khilkhet gunfight
- 3 consecutive rocket attack near US Embassy
- President for utilising scouting to serve nation
- Wife receives husband with ‘Milk-bath’ for divorce!
- 50pc of state-run entities funds to deposit in private banks
- Argentine goalkeeper Romero faces a road accident
- Mymensingh-Chattogram train services resume
- Google chief urges ‘proportionate’ AI regulation
- Female officer slapped BJP leader (video)
- Youth held with marijuana in Satkhira
- Youth sentenced to life imprisonment in Rajbari
- ACC drives at KMCH
- 40 teenagers detained from park in Jashore
- Woman killed, 16 injured in Joypurhat road crash
- 33 promoted to District Judges
- `Wife murder`, Fahmi again discussed in media!
- Total print media 3165, one state-owned
- Ronaldo makes accidental kiss to Dybala
- 4 detained with drugs in separate drives
- To get bright skin use rose water
- Praveen Kumar tried to commit suicide
- Moslem Uddin takes oath as MP
- 11 gamblers detained with 2 crores rupees
- All News »
- BPL`s Man of the tournament winners
- Ticket price of BPL final increased
- Youth killed in road crash after returning home 24 yrs later
- ‘All coaching centers to remain shut from Jan 25’
- Dhaka city elections deferred to Feb 1
- Video of man hugging, kissing pride of lions goes viral
- Jashore car accident kills 3 including 2 sisters
- 32% work of Bangabandhu Novo Theatre in Rajshahi completed
- 28 institutes named after Bangabandhu and family members
- Pakistan snowfall death toll rises to 104
- Russell hero as Rajshahi through final
- Apu Biswas to rock two shows in India
- Bangabandhu BPL trophy arrives
- Secrets of 1,000-year-old ginkgo trees unlocked
- DU expels 63 students for life
- Khulna faces Rajshahi in BPL final today
- MP Abdul Mannan passes away
- Man suicides killing 4 in Maulvibazar: Story revealed
- Flight operations at HSIA still halted today
- 39 killed in intense fighting in Syria’s Idlib
- New complexity in primary teacher recruitment
- Ijtema ends seeking global peace, unity
- Bangladesh on right track to attain SDGs: PM
- 5,000 camels shot dead in Australia
- Cox’s Bazar-St. Martin ship to be launched February
- Verdict in Myanmar genocide case Jan 23
- Razakar Kaiser’s death penalty upheld
- Actress Ishrat Nishat passes away
- Bus-ambulance collision kills 2 in Rangpur
- Lawmaker Abdul Mannan in ICU