Poll on Denuclearization:
6 out of 10 S. Koreans support easing sanctions on DPRK
Published: 03:52 PM, 27 November 2018 Updated: 03:52 PM, 27 November 2018
More than six out of 10 South Koreans support easing sanctions on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to facilitate the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and build lasting peace, a survey showed Tuesday.
According to the poll by the National Unification Advisory Council, a presidential advisory body on long-term policy for inter-Korean relations, 64 percent of respondents support the sanctions relief on Pyongyang.
Of the total, 32 percent was against the eased sanctions, exactly half of the supporters.
The result was based on a survey of 1,000 voters conducted from Friday to Sunday. It had 3.1 percentage points in a margin of error with a 95 percent confidence level.
Asked about whether the implementation of the inter-Korean military agreement would help defuse military tensions and built trust between the two Koreas, 61 percent said yes. Against it was 34.9 percent.
The military agreement was signed by defense chiefs of the two Koreas during the Pyongyang summit in September between South Korean President Moon Jae-in and top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un.
Under the agreement, the military authorities of the two sides have taken various steps to reduce tensions, such as the withdrawal of guard posts from the demilitarized zone (DMZ), which has left the Korean Peninsula divided since the 1950-1953 Korean War ended with the armistice, on a trial basis.
Asked about which areas the two Koreas should focus on for the cross-border cooperation, 33.9 percent picked the construction of infrastructures, such as railways, roads, and seaports. It was followed by economic cooperation, which 32.8 percent supported the most.
- Walking beyond political obstacles, challenges
- President, PM mourns death of Prof Muzaffar Ahmed
- Liverpool, Arsenal, Man United to play tonight
- Ivy Rahman`s 15th death anniv today
- Brazil sends army to tackle Amazon blazes
- Robber killed in Sylhet gunfight
- US-China trade war: Trump imposes furious tariff
- Nuclear Titanic: 1st Russ seaborne NPP
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- Hesson, Katich join IPL’s Bangalore franchise
- Prof Muzaffar Ahmed passes away
- 2 killed in Ctg road crash
- Bangladesh-Argentina agree to increase trade
- Life of Brian: Most blasphemous film ever
- France-Brazil deal halted over Amazon fires
- England 67 all out in third Ashes Test
- Seaside dam-road collapsed: No reform in 7 yrs
- 200 examiners to miss exam papers evaluation in Rajshahi
- Problems in rotting jute
- Amazon fires a global crisis says Macron
- President for communal harmony to attain development
- US-Russia trade barbs at UN over ‘new arms race’
- Language Movement veteran Dr MA Gafur dies
- Malta cultivation in Gauripur
- Six-year-old YouTube star buys $6.5mn property
- Bangladesh beat Bhutan by 5-2 in SAFF U-15 tie
- Ivy Rahman`s 15th death anniv tomorrow
- Jaya Ahsan in spectral character
- Unrest in India-Pakistan border again
- Dengue claims housewife’s life in Satkhira
- All News »
- Visiting Largest Fish Aquarium of Bangladesh
- Yarsagumba: World’s most expensive medicinal fungus
- Momo stares in Hindi film!
- 7 killed as auto-rickshaw crashes into bus
- Bollywood hot cake Sunny Leone now in Dhallywood
- PM receives Modi’s invitation letter
- Amazon: lungs of the planet
- Apu Biswas comebacks
- DU increases registration time for 52nd convocation
- App launches to prevent dengue
- Medical admission test on Oct 4
- Man United faces Wolverhampton tonight
- Hong Kong protesters march peacefully
- All you need to know about Islamic New Year
- Champions League qualifying match tonight
- 21st August: 15 yrs of bloody chapter
- La Liga: Atletico Madrid faces Getafe tonight
- Jyoti’s new film in Kolkata
- A new milestone for Purnima
- 9th wage board: Hearing on state appeal ends
- ‘National School Meal Act-2019’ draft approves
- PEC exam schedule published
- Minni’s bail petition to HC again
- Elnaaz Norouzi: Iranian actress storms over social media
- Daily ‘polypill’ reduces heart disease, stroke: study
- Srijit a very good friend of mine: Mithila
- World Mosquito Day today
- New journey of Ranu Pagli !
- Newlyweds die in road crash returning from honeymoon
- Massive cyberattack; List of affected websites