HC releases full text of seven murder case verdict
Published: 10:40 PM, 19 November 2018 Updated: 10:40 PM, 19 November 2018
The High Court (HC) today released full text of verdict in the sensational seven-murder case of Narayanganj more than a year after it passed the judgement, upholding death sentences of 15 convicts, including main accused Noor Hossain, dismissed RAB officials Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, Maj Arif Hossain and Lt Commander SM Masud Rana.
The 1,564 page text of the verdict was released after Justice Bhabani Prasad Singha and Justice Mustafa Zaman Islam, the two judges of the bench, which passed the order, signed on it. The full text was posted on the website of the Supreme Court.
The High Court on August 22, 2017, pronounced the judgment in the two cases lodged over the gruesome murders.
The other eleven convicts, whose death sentences were upheld, are Habildar Md Emdadul Haque, Md Arif Hossain, Lance Naik Hira Miah, Lance Naik Belal Hossain, Sepoy Abu Taiyab Ali, Constable Md Shihab Uddin, SI Purnendu Bala, Sepoy Abdul Alim, Sepoy Mohiuddin Munshi, Sepoy Al Amin and Sepoy Tajul Islam.
The court, however, commuted death sentence handed down to another 11 people by the trial court, to life imprisonment.
Narayanganj District and Sessions Judge court on January 16, 2017, sentenced 26 persons, including main accused Noor Hossain, dismissed RAB officials Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, Maj Arif Hossain and Lt Commander SM Masud Rana, to death in the sensational seven-murder case. The court also sentenced nine other accused to different terms in jail.
All the documents of the case were sent to the High Court on January 22. The High Court on February 8 received the appeals of the convicts.
Twenty convicts including Noor Hossain, Tareque Sayeed, Arif Hossain, SM Masud Rana, Md Emdadul Haque, Belal Hossain, Abu Taiyab, Shihab Uddin and Mortaza Zaman Charchil filed the appeals against their sentences.
Narayanganj City Corporation councilor Nazrul Islam along with his three companions and driver were kidnapped by a team of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB)-11 on April 27 in 2014.
Besides, senior lawyer Chandan Sarker and his driver Ibrahim were also picked up by the same team as they witnessed the abduction of Nazrul and his associates.
Subsequently bodies of all seven of them were found floating in the Shitalakkhya river.
Two cases were filed in this connection — one by Nazrul’s family and the other by Chandan’s family.
- On Mars, sands shift to a different drum
- How to enhance or suppress memories
- Theresa May profile
- Panchagarh Express maiden voyage tomorrow
- 20 student burnt to death in India
- Record budget for FY2019-20: Finance Minister
- Mother of two ‘gang raped’ in Noakhali
- We have fought having month-long fasting: AG Minister
- Lightning kills 3 in B’baria, Habiganj
- PM to open 2nd Meghna, Gumti bridges tomorrow
- Terrible traffic jam in Rupganj
- Collapse risk of College boundary in Nalitabari
- Aruk Munshi: living reflect of Bangabandhu
- 300 orphan received PM’s Eid gifts
- Lightning kills three in Habiganj
- Injury scare for Eoin Morgan
- Tigers’ fan song ‘Cholo Bangladesh’ for World Cup composed
- High-security Ebola burials spark dismay, anger in DR Congo
- SpaceX launches first satellites of its internet network
- Mosque blast kills 2 in Pakistan
- British PM Theresa May announces to resign
- Itikaf: Significance and its virtues in Ramadan
- Sri Lanka to bowl first against SA
- Two country`s pending issues will be resolved: Quader
- Modi plots course after landslide Indian election win
- Kushtia Tailors passing busy time
- 3 more Bangladeshi survivors return home
- Jenner, Banderas, turn out for glitzy amfAR gala near Cannes
- Rain with gusty wind likely over country
- PCB bans wives and family from travelling with team
- All News »
- People on Mars by 2033 or 2060
- Six killed as bus hits tree in Bagerhat
- Narayanganj’s Araihazar OC withdrawn
- Ronaldo coming to Dhaka in Mujib Year
- Messi scores twice but Barcelona held
- JS body discusses security of women, children
- Contributions of General Aziz Ahmed as ex Director General of BGB (Part I)
- `Final should not decide my future`
- 3000 tubewells need to free from arsenic
- Eid advance bus ticket sale begins
- Ukraine`s new president Zelensky calls snap elections
- HC seeks reports of lab test on 93 more food items
- Thor actor Isaac Kappy commits suicide
- World Telecommunication and Information Society Day today
- 2 hijackers killed in Hazaribagh gunfight
- Cabinet reshuffle: Murad moved to Info Ministry
- ‘AL not a political party only, organization also’
- Eid holidaymakers’ sufferings to be reduced
- The Army Chief of Bangladesh urges to increase interoperability of land forces
- Robert Pattinson cast to play new Batman
- 152,000 passed in NTRCA preli
- Rumin Farhana gets BNP’s reserve seat nomination
- Polls to suspended 5 UZs on June 18
- Taskin in WC reserve squad finally
- Sheikh Hasina’s homecoming day today
- OC withdrawn over schoolgirl Barsha’s suicide after rape
- AIUB pupil’s body recovered from GF`s house
- Shakib-less Bangladesh opt to field
- 15 Bangladeshi survivors return home
- 6 women among 11 killed in ‘massacre’ at bar