HC releases full text of seven murder case verdict
Published: 10:40 PM, 19 November 2018 Updated: 10:40 PM, 19 November 2018
The High Court (HC) today released full text of verdict in the sensational seven-murder case of Narayanganj more than a year after it passed the judgement, upholding death sentences of 15 convicts, including main accused Noor Hossain, dismissed RAB officials Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, Maj Arif Hossain and Lt Commander SM Masud Rana.
The 1,564 page text of the verdict was released after Justice Bhabani Prasad Singha and Justice Mustafa Zaman Islam, the two judges of the bench, which passed the order, signed on it. The full text was posted on the website of the Supreme Court.
The High Court on August 22, 2017, pronounced the judgment in the two cases lodged over the gruesome murders.
The other eleven convicts, whose death sentences were upheld, are Habildar Md Emdadul Haque, Md Arif Hossain, Lance Naik Hira Miah, Lance Naik Belal Hossain, Sepoy Abu Taiyab Ali, Constable Md Shihab Uddin, SI Purnendu Bala, Sepoy Abdul Alim, Sepoy Mohiuddin Munshi, Sepoy Al Amin and Sepoy Tajul Islam.
The court, however, commuted death sentence handed down to another 11 people by the trial court, to life imprisonment.
Narayanganj District and Sessions Judge court on January 16, 2017, sentenced 26 persons, including main accused Noor Hossain, dismissed RAB officials Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, Maj Arif Hossain and Lt Commander SM Masud Rana, to death in the sensational seven-murder case. The court also sentenced nine other accused to different terms in jail.
All the documents of the case were sent to the High Court on January 22. The High Court on February 8 received the appeals of the convicts.
Twenty convicts including Noor Hossain, Tareque Sayeed, Arif Hossain, SM Masud Rana, Md Emdadul Haque, Belal Hossain, Abu Taiyab, Shihab Uddin and Mortaza Zaman Charchil filed the appeals against their sentences.
Narayanganj City Corporation councilor Nazrul Islam along with his three companions and driver were kidnapped by a team of Rapid Action Battalion (RAB)-11 on April 27 in 2014.
Besides, senior lawyer Chandan Sarker and his driver Ibrahim were also picked up by the same team as they witnessed the abduction of Nazrul and his associates.
Subsequently bodies of all seven of them were found floating in the Shitalakkhya river.
Two cases were filed in this connection — one by Nazrul’s family and the other by Chandan’s family.
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- People throng book fair ignoring gloomy weather
- Real suffer shock home loss to Girona
- Student organisations remain at variance over DUCSU polls
- Saudi crown prince reaches Pakistan amid tension
- Shanaya Kapoor takes first step in Bollywood
- `India shouldn`t play against Pakistan in WC 2019`
- Maqbul Ahmed resigns from Jamaat
- Lights in Hili
- Fuel price hike cause UK’s airline end
- Collective efforts need to mitigate urban poverty
- `2000 edu institutions to be brought under MPO soon`
- Nirab murder: accused arrested
- Hearing on Jamaat’s appeal soon: AG
- Bogura AL President Momtaz Uddin dies
- Mahmudullah, Boult fined by ICC
- PM at IDEX inaugural in Abu Dhabi
- Sightly lake fascinates visitors
- RU to observe Dr Zoha day tomorrow
- Messi scores one penalty out of two in win
- Ebola kills nearly 100 children
- CORR fall not at expected level yet: ACC Chm
- School banking to create savings habit
- Japan PM nominated Trump for Nobel
- Bangladeshi killed in Saudi Arabia road crash
- Manna’s 11th death anniv today
- Drug trader killed in Cumilla gunfight
- ‘All parties not taking part in UZ polls disappointing’
- 32 grenades recovered in Khulna
- ‘Sagar-Runi’ Murder report delay for 63rd time
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- WB to cooperate with Bangladesh: Qimiao Fan
- Spain teeters on brink of snap election
- Bangladesh, Indian Air Forces can work together: PM
- Net house potato farming gains ground in Rajshahi
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Which channel broadcast BAN vs NZ series
- Biswa Ijtema begins tomorrow
- Elderly couple among 3 killed in Munshiganj road crash
- Haunting beauty of ghost towns
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Mashrafe confident of BD`s chances despite Shakib`s absence
- 28 including drug traders held in Dinajpur
- Illusions about losing weight
- PM visits LGRD ministry
- College student killed in Madarganj road crash
- Israel shoots dead two Palestinian teenagers
- Pahela Falgun being celebrated
- Two drug traders held with phensedyl
- Speech-impaired college-girl raped, man held
- Seven yrs of Sagar-Runi murder
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- 3 motorcyclists killed in Gazipur road crash
- 5 mayor aspirants get symbols
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Al Mahmud admitted to ICU
- Emergency declared in Russia over polar bear ‘invasion’