54 feared dead in landslide at Myanmar jade mine
Published: 10:22 AM, 24 April 2019 Updated: 03:38 PM, 24 April 2019
At least 54 people are feared to have died in a mudslide at a jade mining site in northern Myanmar on Monday night.
Police said the landslide in Kachin state was so great it created a "mud lake" that engulfed the workers' living quarters along with some 40 vehicles.
Landslides caused by jade mining, an industry with few regulations, kill dozens in Myanmar every year.
A local official said it was "very difficult to retrieve the bodies" and only three had been recovered.
"They won't survive," Tin Soe, a local lawmaker, said. "It's not possible because they are buried under mud."
The ministry of information identified the companies involved in the accident as Shwe Nagar Koe Kaung and Myanmar Thura Gems.
Neither has yet commented, although the director of Myanmar Thura Gems, Hla Soe Oo, told AFP news agency he was on his way to the site.
The search and rescue effort is ongoing, officials said.
The jade industry in the northern state of Kachin, which borders India and China, was estimated to be worth about $31bn (£24bn) in 2014.
Victims of landslides and other accidents are often members of poor ethnic communities searching for remaining gems left behind by the big firms.
As well as jade, Myanmar has a wealth of natural resources including timber, gold and amber, all of which help finance both sides of a civil war between ethnic Kachin rebels and the military. BBC
- ‘Abominable’ won’t be screened in Malaysia over S. China Sea map
- India, Pakistan exchange fire in Kashmir, killing 9
- Brexit will happen on Oct. 31
- Bangladesh Army Volleyball competition concludes
- Chile paralyzed after three die in protest violence
- Young Elephants of Laos humiliate Mohun Bagan
- Laxman, Smith picks Tamim, Shakib in their dream XI
- 1,34,625 HA land under T-Aman cultivation in Netrokona
- People aren’t responding to Oikya Front’s call: Hasan
- President reaches Singapore en route to Japan
- 1st scientific congress on NCDs kicks off in city
- DU ‘A’ unit admission test result postponed
- Jubo League chairman Omar Faruq fired
- Saifuddin to miss T20 series in India
- PM receives Russian translated books on Bangabandhu-Sheikh Hasina
- Pearl over 8 thousand-yrs old found in UAE
- Four to die for murder in Faridpur
- DIG Bajlur of JD arrested for possessing illegal money
- Rohit`s 212 put India on top
- Bhola Clash: BGB’s quick deploy by helicopter
- 4 killed in cops-mob clash following facebook post
- Khulna beat Rajshahi in NCL 2nd round
- BCB to issue T-Ten NOC through talks
- Auto-driver killed after being hit by pickup
- Investigations are being made about many others: Quader
- Samad succeeds in farming vegetables in fisheries farms
- 13.05% pass DU ‘Ka’ unit admission test
- 9 addl judges appointed to HC
- Weather may remain mainly dry
- Son hacked mother to death
- All News »
- Father killed child Tuhin, claim police
- Child Tuhin murder: 2 relatives give statement
- Bangla TV to air Bangladesh-India match
- Brutality upon child Tuhin
- Now father allegedly kills child in Faridpur
- 3 women killed as truck hits human hauler
- Sabila Nur gets married this month
- Now PUBG bans in Bangladesh
- Jubo League age decision at Ganabhaban: Quader
- Brutal murder of child: Case filed against 10
- PM urges UGC not to go beyond rules
- Typhoon Hagibis: Death toll rises to 68 in Japan
- Abrar murder chargesheet soon: HM
- Sunny, Al Amin recalled for India T20 series
- 35 pilgrims killed as bus crashes in Saudia Arabia
- Padma Bridge work progress 84 pc
- New labor laws in Qatar benefiting migrant workers
- Gold bars worth Tk 6.5cr recovered in Shah Amanat
- Japan keen to expand existing bilateral ties: Envoy
- 3 including Indian national win Nobel Prize in Economics
- Moushumi assaulted at BFDC
- Sourav Ganguly set to be president of BCCI
- Bangladesh becomes role model in disaster management: PM
- DU ‘Ka’, ‘Cha’ unit admission test results tomorrow
- 2 pedestrians die after being hit by bus
- Typhoon Hagibis: 11 killed in Japan
- PM for quick disposal of Abrar murder case
- Siddik has relations with multiple girls, alleges wife Mim
- BUET students’ call off protests
- T20 World Cup Qualifier begins today