50 hospitalized after eating hotel food in Jamalpur
Published: 06:50 PM, 8 June 2021
The patients are being treated at the hospital after eating hotel food in Jamalpur
About 50 people, including women and children, were hospitalized after eating hotel food in Sarishabari, Jamalpur. The incident has spread panic among the locals.
The incident took place at the Panchapir area of the municipality from Sunday noon to midnight. They have been admitted to the upazila health complex.
According to locals, several people went to Lalu Mia’s shop in the Panchapir Bazar area of Sarishabari Municipality for breakfast. Later, they had shown the symptoms of abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea in the afternoon. After that, about 50 people hospitalized one by one to the upazila health complex in critical condition.
Sumi Begum, the mother of children who became ill after eating the hotel food, said her two children – Mishti and Tania – went to Lalu’s food hotel with their grandfather for breakfast. After returning home, they suffered from stomach pain, vomiting and diarrhea. When the condition worsened, the two children were admitted to the hospital.
“Such condition occurred due to poor quality and rotten food,” Sumi Begum also said, alleging that things would not have happened if the concerned people had taken proper care of the food shops.
Besides, Majnu Mia, Siraj Uddin and Jaminur, who came from Bausi for treatment, said “Lalu’s shop had rotten food”.
“I have been in the hotel business for many years. That never happened. I have bought flour and oil from the grocers of Bausi Bazar,” said Hotel owner Lalu Mia, mentioning that “problems can occur from the store products”.
Ariful Islam, a doctor at the upazila health complex, said patients with abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhea have been coming to the hospital since noon. All of them are being treated. Besides, the critically ill have been shifted to Jamalpur Sadar Hospital. This may be due to food poisoning as the food was low-quality.