5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
Published: 02:16 PM, 7 April 2020 Updated: 05:22 PM, 7 April 2020
Director of Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control And Research (IEDCR) Professor Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora briefing media
Five more people have died from coronavirus in the last 24 hours, taking the total death toll to 17 in the country.
Director of Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control And Research (IEDCR) Professor Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora came up with the information at a regular press briefing at the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) office in Dhaka's Mohakhali through online on Tuesday.
Besides, 41 more people have been diagnosed with coronavirus, said the IEDCR director, adding that with this, the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases has increased to 164 in the country.
Dr Flora said among the new COVID-19 patients four were children, 10 were in their 20s, five in their 50s, nine in their 40s, 7 in their 50s and five 60s.
The IEDCR chief said two of the five deaths occurred in the capital and rests elsewhere in the country while 20 of the 41 newly infected people were detected in Dhaka and 15 in Narayanganj.
Dr Flora said the fresh infection cases were detected by testing samples collected from 792 suspects by 14 countrywide testing facilities overnight.
Of the total 164 cases of infections, 84 were found in Dhaka and 38 in Narayanganj, a scenario that suggests the two places appeared to be CPVID-19 hotspots, she said adding that among the total coronavirus-patients, 33 have so far recovered and rests were still being treated under medical surveillance.
The new cases suggested the highest number of deaths and infections in a day since the first case of the deadly virus was detected on March 8 in Bangladesh.
Director General of Health Services Professor Dr Abul Kalam Azad also addressed at the briefing. He said so far 67,448 people were kept at both home and institutional quarantine and the current number of quarantined people was 10316 as rests were released after medical clearance.
He said until now 16,0,1077 people received healthcare services from hotline mobile numbers and health web portals as the government formed a group of medical professionals comprising 13,316 doctors to provide emergency health services.
The health services chief said the government by now prepared 7,693 isolation beds at different hospitals in the country to be run under a 23-point health guideline prescribing isolation and quarantine arrangements, PPE usage and hygienic environment.
The DGHS said 6,68,386 overseas returnees have been brought under screening, adding that the authorities concerned are continuing screening those coming from abroad.
The contact hotline and mobile numbers - 16263; 333; 10655 and 01944333222 - to receive information and treatment facilities on Covid-19.
The coronavirus, that first reported in China late last year, is now affecting 209 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances. As of Tuesday afternoon, a total of 1,349,660 people have been diagnosed with the virus worldwide, as the death toll rises to 74,816 while 286,662 patients have recovered.
More than a third of the world's population is now under lockdown as an increasing number of countries implement sweeping measures to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
To stop spreading the deadly coronavirus, the Bangladesh government on March 23 declared a nationwide 10-day holiday shutting down the government and private offices excepting essential and healthcare facilities while it was due to expire on April 4. On April 1, the fresh holidays were declared from April 5 to 9 and the two days of (Friday & Saturday) would be added to these holidays.
Later on Sunday, the government issued an order extending the nationwide holiday further until April 14 in the wake of the deadly novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. All have been requested to stay-at-home during the holidays unless they have a good reason to leave their homes.
- 4 more tested coronavirus positive in Jamalpur
- Coronavirus global death toll tops 376,000
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- 17 more test positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- Former health minister Nasim tests positive for COVID-19
- 16 more infected with COVID-19 in Rangpur
- India expels two Pak diplomats ‘for espionage’
- Nasim hospitalized, sample collected for COVID-19 test
- Barishal reports 40 new COVID-19 cases
- Father, son among 6 killed in lightning strikes
- Litchi market inaugurated in Dinajpur
- Offices of edu insts can remain open
- Rupganj reports 60 new coronavirus cases
- ‘Pather Panchali’ comes in colour print
- Writ issued seeking license revocation of United Hospital
- Ex-DIG Bazlur Rashid denied bail
- Delhi border sealed for a week
- BMP`s Addl. Commissioner infected with COVID-19
- Coronavirus infected cases surge 1000 in Cumilla
- ‘No more than 25% officers can hold office’
- Everyone passed from tea-seller Khaleq’s school
- Budget session can be covered from Songsad TV
- Social distance not obeyed at Chandpur launch ghat
- Ovishar Cinema Hall at Tikatuli being demolished
- Sabbir denies allegation of harassing RCC cleaner
- Father and son killed in lightning
- Horn on duckling’s head stir in Pirgachha
- 112 overcome COVID-19 in Chakaria last month
- Tamim becomes WFP`s goodwill ambassador
- Armenian PM-entire family contract coronavirus
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- Noble got married for 3rd time seven months ago!
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Three killed as microbus falls into Munshiganj ditch
- 22 die, 1541 infected in last 24 hours
- Over 2000 infected in 24 hours, 15 dead
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Karate coach Humayun Kabir Jewel dies
- Fire at United Hospital: 5 COVID-19 patients die
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- Offices resume from May 31
- 1166 new infected in 24 hrs, 21 die
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- India backs hydroxychloroquine for coronavirus treatment
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Xi Jinping asks Chinese military to prepare for battle
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Mahathir expelled from party
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- Hong Kong `no longer autonomous`: Pompeo
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- One dies, nine more test positive for coronavirus in Bhola
- BRTA recommends to hike 80pc bus fare
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya