5 more die from coronavirus, 41 fresh cases detected
Published: 02:16 PM, 7 April 2020 Updated: 05:22 PM, 7 April 2020
Director of Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control And Research (IEDCR) Professor Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora briefing media
Five more people have died from coronavirus in the last 24 hours, taking the total death toll to 17 in the country.
Director of Institute of Epidemiology Disease Control And Research (IEDCR) Professor Dr Meerjady Sabrina Flora came up with the information at a regular press briefing at the Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) office in Dhaka's Mohakhali through online on Tuesday.
Besides, 41 more people have been diagnosed with coronavirus, said the IEDCR director, adding that with this, the total number of confirmed coronavirus cases has increased to 164 in the country.
Dr Flora said among the new COVID-19 patients four were children, 10 were in their 20s, five in their 50s, nine in their 40s, 7 in their 50s and five 60s.
The IEDCR chief said two of the five deaths occurred in the capital and rests elsewhere in the country while 20 of the 41 newly infected people were detected in Dhaka and 15 in Narayanganj.
Dr Flora said the fresh infection cases were detected by testing samples collected from 792 suspects by 14 countrywide testing facilities overnight.
Of the total 164 cases of infections, 84 were found in Dhaka and 38 in Narayanganj, a scenario that suggests the two places appeared to be CPVID-19 hotspots, she said adding that among the total coronavirus-patients, 33 have so far recovered and rests were still being treated under medical surveillance.
The new cases suggested the highest number of deaths and infections in a day since the first case of the deadly virus was detected on March 8 in Bangladesh.
Director General of Health Services Professor Dr Abul Kalam Azad also addressed at the briefing. He said so far 67,448 people were kept at both home and institutional quarantine and the current number of quarantined people was 10316 as rests were released after medical clearance.
He said until now 16,0,1077 people received healthcare services from hotline mobile numbers and health web portals as the government formed a group of medical professionals comprising 13,316 doctors to provide emergency health services.
The health services chief said the government by now prepared 7,693 isolation beds at different hospitals in the country to be run under a 23-point health guideline prescribing isolation and quarantine arrangements, PPE usage and hygienic environment.
The DGHS said 6,68,386 overseas returnees have been brought under screening, adding that the authorities concerned are continuing screening those coming from abroad.
The contact hotline and mobile numbers - 16263; 333; 10655 and 01944333222 - to receive information and treatment facilities on Covid-19.
The coronavirus, that first reported in China late last year, is now affecting 209 countries and territories around the world and 2 international conveyances. As of Tuesday afternoon, a total of 1,349,660 people have been diagnosed with the virus worldwide, as the death toll rises to 74,816 while 286,662 patients have recovered.
More than a third of the world's population is now under lockdown as an increasing number of countries implement sweeping measures to fight the coronavirus pandemic.
To stop spreading the deadly coronavirus, the Bangladesh government on March 23 declared a nationwide 10-day holiday shutting down the government and private offices excepting essential and healthcare facilities while it was due to expire on April 4. On April 1, the fresh holidays were declared from April 5 to 9 and the two days of (Friday & Saturday) would be added to these holidays.
Later on Sunday, the government issued an order extending the nationwide holiday further until April 14 in the wake of the deadly novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. All have been requested to stay-at-home during the holidays unless they have a good reason to leave their homes.
- Boyfriend handed over girl to friends after raping
- Specialized vehicle to collect samples in Tangail
- World Environment Day today
- Father-in-law & mother-in-law injured in son-in-law`s attack
- China to lift ban on foreign flights
- Facebook launches Manage Activity for deleting old posts
- Bangladesh Bank allows employees to work from home
- 7 things must be followed for safe journey
- Another 47 tested positive for coronavirus in Faridpur
- 18 more infected with COVID-19 in Jamalpur
- 132 more tested coronavirus positive in Chattogram
- Sylhet reports 60 more coronavirus cases
- Global coronavirus death toll surpasses 393,000
- Fire at Gazi Bhaban in the capital doused
- Govt is working hard to keep people safe: PM
- Arctic oil spill prompts Russia`s Putin to declare emergency
- Multi-storey building at Lalbagh catches fire
- Killing of pregnant elephant triggered mass outrage in India
- Transport leaders, workers agreed to stop extortion
- Pakistan’s furious warning to arch-rival India
- Teen-girl Adury changed to male naturally
- Interpol’s help will be sought to nab fugitives in abroad
- Grameenphone CEO meets BSEC Chairman
- Shoaib Akhtar accused of cybercrime
- Section 144 imposed in Sangsad Bhaban area
- 60 more contract COVID-19 in Gazipur
- Lightning kills 7 in 5 districts
- 6.5 magnitude earthquake jolts Indonesia
- A physician and two more die of COVID-19 in Chattogram
- Law Minister not infected by COVID-19: ministry
- All News »
- Noble made his wife Salsabil a model in music video
- 4 cops charged for killing a black man in US
- Killing of 26 Bangladeshis in Libya: Main culprit killed in drone strike
- 23 die, highest infection recorded in last 24 hrs
- Record deaths, infections in 24 hours
- Record new cases in 24 hours, 37 dead
- Anandabazar editor Anirban Chattopadhyay resigns
- Brazil’s COVID-19 deaths surge past Spain
- Over 2000 infected in 24hrs, 22 dead
- Electronic mask developed to prevent coronavirus!
- 1,256 more freedom fighters listed
- Slain 26 Bangladeshis to be buried in Libya
- BGMEA’s PCR lab for COVID-19 test opened
- 1764 infected in 24 hours, 28 dead
- Music director Wajid Khan dies
- SSC-equivalent results published, pass 82.87 pc
- Former national footballer Salauddin passes away
- Brutal murder story of Junko, who raped about 500 times in 44 day
- Chhatra League buries BNP leader
- A thrilling operation by Police: 6 youths rescued from Sundarbans
- 26 Bangladeshis shot dead in Libya
- Chinese COVID-19 fighters due June 8
- Over 2500 infected in 24 hours, 37 die
- COVID-19 death toll in country surpasses 600
- Trump announces US to sever all ties with WHO
- Mahathir expelled from party
- Happy birthday ‘Legendary Actor’ Humayun Faridi
- Over 125,000 cases reported globally in a day
- SSC result today: How to pre-register
- BRTA recommends to hike 80pc bus fare