5 Al-Qaeda operatives arrested in Pakistan's eastern province
Published: 05:30 PM, 8 December 2018 Updated: 05:30 PM, 8 December 2018
Daily Bangladesh Desk
Pakistani law enforcement agencies said Saturday they arrested five operatives of Al-Qaeda in Pakistan's eastern province Punjab, local media reported.
Local media quoted official sources as saying that the Counter Terrorism Department (CTD) of police along with personnel of intelligence agencies and security forces conducted an operation early Saturday morning in Sadar area of Bahawalpur, a district in southern part of Punjab.
Police said the operation was conducted after the intelligence agencies informed police about the presence of some terrorists of a banned outfit in a hideout.
All the five terrorists were working for Al-Qaeda network in the southern part of Punjab and they were planning to attack some sensitive sites.
A big cache of automatic weapons, suicide jackets, hand grenades, live bullets, explosive devices, and local and foreign currencies was recovered from the terrorists' possessions.
All the detained terrorists were shifted to an unknown place for further interrogation.
Earlier on Nov. 28, the CTD arrested three terrorists belonging to a banned outfit from the same district.
Pakistani security forces and local law enforcement agencies have arrested thousands of suspects in combing operations since February 2017 under the umbrella of the Operation Radd-ul-Fasaad, a joint effort to disarm and eliminate the hidden terrorist sleeper cells across the country.
- 1 killed as tree fall in capital, 7 injured
- Saudi Arabia strikes $10bn China deal
- Students’ council formed in 8,684 schools
- Fire broke in Cumilla Moon Hospital
- ‘Chemical’ evidence found in Churihatta fire incident
- Wazed Mia works for humanity: Speaker
- Ultra-processed foods links cancer risk
- 10 shops gutted in Melandaha
- None would be able to destroy Bengali culture: PM
- Kartoa land more fertile for tea: Experts
- BNP’s anti-govt comts over city fire improper: Hasan
- Chelsea banned from signing new players
- W.House to keep 200 troops in Syria
- Kartoa Valley land more fertile for tea cultivation: Experts
- Pres at doa for Chawkbazar victims
- DNA samples collected to identify charred bodies
- `Govt instructs to shift godowns from old Dhaka`
- Saudi crown prince meets Chinese president, bags oil deal
- 80 grave ready in Azimpur
- Venezuela seals border
- Unknown panic in Bilchandak!
- Mosquitos killed more humans than all wars
- Dipu Moni emphasizes on lifelong learning for sustainable dev
- No gate keeper in rail crossing
- 7.5 quake hits Peru-Ecuador border
- World`s largest bee found in INDO
- Youth hacked dead in Gazipur
- Chawkbazar fire: Chandpur`s 2 dead
- Kulkhani and Doa Mahfil tomorrow
- ‘Uro Megher Boshonto’ of Nilanjana Neela
- All News »
- ‘Work with history of country’s Language Movement’
- Pakistan summons Indian envoy to protest `baseless allegations`
- Another spell of gas suspension in Capital Tuesday
- 16 burnt, 50 injured in Churihatta fire
- JnU BCL committee dissolved
- BCL factional clash hurt 45 in JnU
- Daily Bangladesh mourns death in Chawkbazar fire
- “AL not embarrassed of BNP’s case against polls”
- Drug trader hurt in Chatmohor gunfight
- Mithun`s fifty takes Bangladesh to 226
- Gas supply shutdown in Dhaka including Savar
- Nation set to pay homage to language martyrs
- Ali, employee of Daily Bangladesh, injured in road crash
- Barcelona, Man City to play tonight
- NZ clinch ODI series 2-0 against Tigers
- “’Fagun Haway’ will inspire new generation in patriotism”
- Japan probe Hayabusa2 makes asteroid landing
- Hong Kong stocks open lower
- Death toll in Nigeria attack doubles to 130
- Samsung to launch US retail stores in smartphone push
- Prominent poet Al Mahmud dies
- Last tributes to poet Al Mahmud at Bangla Academy
- 1st phase of nomination withdrawal ends today
- General Osmani’s 35th death anniversary today
- Navy Chief in UAE arms exhibition
- Sadhan urges officials to brighten up govt image
- Zulfikar Ali will survive if he got your help
- Barrister Razzaq resigns from Jamaat
- SERG Zahurul Haque’s death anniversary observed
- No pardon for drug traders: IGP